Up the Creek - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Up the Creek Reviews

April 9, 2016
One of the most underrated teen movies of all time. It's like American Pie except you know it's funny and you don't want all the characters to get ebola.
March 14, 2016
an oft forgotten but nonetheless very enjoyable slice of 80's comedy...while not perfectly casted and just silly as all hell it was well worth the purchase on Blu Ray
½ February 2, 2016
This is a considerably better movie than Zapped, even though this gets half a star rating higher than the Scott Baio disaster. The reason that Zapped got the rating it did was because it entertained me with how awful it actually was. This, on the other hand, is a competently made raunchy 80s movie. Again, a lot of its charms rely on the fact that it's something that you simply don't see a lot of nowadays, not to mention that there's some legitimately funny moments in the film. Not like I would call the movie consistent or anything, but the film made me laugh more than a couple of times. The thing about these types of films is that, with various exceptions, the roles are very clearly defined. The characters are as one-dimensional as humanly possible. You have the rich, preppy douchebags, the jock assholes, the princesses, the nerds and the lovable losers. This movie is no different, there's literally no character development to speak of and I think the film sort of embraces that, because that means that they can make the situations the film presents as entertaining as humanly possible. Not saying that every scenario this film presents hits, but there's a decent percentage of them that do. This film heavily inspired a Futurama episode I really like where Bender, the robot, goes back to the university and he, and his team of losers, must win a raft race or else have their fraternity expelled from college. The fraternity being expelled from the college is borrowed from Animal House, but the rest of the episode is clearly taken from this movie. I honestly haven't seen that episode of Futurama in a long-ass time, but it's probable that that episode ended up being better than this movie. That's not to shit on this movie, even if, again, I wouldn't call it good, that's just how well-written Futurama was. I don't know what else to say about this movie honestly. The tone of the movie is always kept light, it doesn't ever really take itself seriously, like at all, and the cast is decent. Tim Matheson is good here as the smooth-talking lead man even if, at 37 years old by this movie's release, he was a little too old to play the young college kid. That's probably one of the more laughably bad elements of the film, trying to pass Matheson as someone in his 20s. Not that he looked old, but I mean come on. With that said, this is a quintessentially 80s movie, for better or worse. It may have been blown away by this, but I didn't feel like I wasted my time watching this and I enjoyed it in parts. But, looking at things objectively, this isn't a good movie. It has its moments and, again, its anachronisms are part of what I enjoyed about it, but that's not something that you can actually quantify in terms of a review. Like it can't be the reason you think a movie is good, because that was never intended to be part of it, how it looks to an audience 30 years into the future. Can't really recommend it, but I got moderate enjoyment out of this film, which, realistically, is average at best.
April 14, 2015
Meatballs on the rapids.
March 28, 2015
Sort of funny at first, but it quickly gets bogged down in jokes that a bunch of 13 year olds at a sleepover wouldn't find funny. Good 80s cast!
August 14, 2013
Bob McGraw (Tim Matheson), Max (Dan Monahan), Gonzer (Stephen Furst), and Irwin (Sandy Helberg), students at Lepetomane University (known derisively by some as "Lobotomy U"), are volunteered to compete in a collegiate raft race. They are "recruited" by Dean Burch who uses records of McGraw's checkered past as a means of blackmail to get them to compete. "You're not AT the bottom of the list. You ARE the bottom of the list!", says Burch. He even offers them degrees in the major of their choice as additional incentive. They're up against Ivy University, prep schoolers who, with the help of an Ivy alumnus named Dr. Roland Tozer, plan to cheat their way to the Winner's Circle. Their adversaries also include the Washington Military Institute, disqualified for their attempts to sabotage the other schools rafts. Captain Braverman, the leader of the Military men, has it in for McGraw because he personally curtailed the attempts to sabotage the other rafts. Also entered is a team of beautiful co-eds, one of whom, Heather Merriweather (Jennifer Runyon), ends up falling for Bob. The dangerous rapids as well as Ivy's cheating end up disabling many of the other teams' rafts. It is all down river adventure for the Lepetomane gang...

I reckon the producers of this college/frat comedy thought they had a hit on their hands with a mix of actors from "National Lampoon´s Animal House" and "Porky´s" and sort of forgot that you need to have a script that works and a director that keep things together as well. "Up The Creek" is a mish mash of the classic elements in a frat comedy; nudity, stuck up ivy league boys, sorority girls, fights, slip on the banana peel skits, alcohol, loser students and a win for the losers. Nothing new here, but the issue is that everything is handled in a poor manner if you ask me and thus the comedy base gets lost in a haze of halfassed and unstructured sketches with poor acting, poor dialogue and sound effects from a Mel Brooks movie. My plus in "Up The Creek" is the stunning Jennifer Runyon, who we also saw in a small part in "Ghostbusters" (great scene with Bill Murray) and Cheap Tricks title song "Up The Creek".
January 20, 2013
A classic comedy for it's time. I wish it was on DVD or Blueray.
½ September 16, 2012
Classic 80's teen comedy.
½ September 2, 2012
One of the better T & A comedies from the 80s due largely to the fact it's actually funny. Unfortunately it is one of the last five films still somehow not available on DVD.
August 13, 2012
Decent, but typical 80's comedy. It hasn't aged that well, but I'll always hold a special place in my heart for 'Up the Creek'.
½ August 2, 2012
Dull, bland 80s wilderness comedy that was mostly forgotten for good reason.
June 13, 2012
best movie to watch with friends
May 23, 2012
Dismal college aims to gain prestige by offering its worst students free degrees if they can claim the intercollegiate raft race. A poor effort overall with a few bright spots--the whitewater rafting footage is good and Cheap Trick nails down another great soundtrack song. Chuck the Dog easily outshines Tim Matheson and the rest of the cast.
March 1, 2012
combines star power, coeds, frothy beers, sun, bikinis and paddling ! what was better on a glorious summer day for us riverrunners! Paddle on!
October 11, 2011
THey are either incredibly stupid and lucky or brilliant fools. these characters are all over the place.
October 4, 2011
fucking classic...its porkys floating down a river!!!!!
June 6, 2011
February 9, 2011
In my opinion, it's the best 80's comedy ever! I've seen this film 10 times on VHS and yet I'm still waiting for the DVD version. To whoever have the rights to this gem, put it out already! It's been 26 years so far, the film's not at the bottom of the list, YOU GUYS ARE THE BOTTOM OF THE LIST! Either way, I'm still waiting.
thefog1331