Valley Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Valley Girl Reviews

August 29, 2016
Not as great as I was expecting, but still an entertaining teen romcom. The characters and story are a little more real than usual. besides the "punk rockers"...
July 30, 2016
An obscure teen comedy from the 1980's that is a very underrated film. Personally, I think it was one of the best from the 80's in this genre. There is a definitive implied meaning to the film. It does not matter what kind of background people come from; if they are compatible & they love each other deeply they can make it work romantically. People can rise above the opinions of divergent class levels & the bias of their friends.
The film is directly comparable to films from the 80's such as: Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982), Pretty in Pink (1986), & Making The Grade (1984). I always felt this film was much better than Fast Times. They are both classics, but Valley Girl is definitely more thought provoking. You may also find aspects of this film in other 80's flics such as Sixteen Candles (1984) & the very 90's teen sex comedy Trojan War (1997).
With a good soundtrack & really good performances all over the board. Do not miss this hidden gem of a film.
½ April 22, 2016
not as iconic as i thought it would be....melt with you is about the only memorable thing, but it did make me wonder: whatever happened to foodfights?
½ October 6, 2015
as domeone who lived in socal at this time this 'craze' as they call it was hardly 'short-lived'
June 6, 2015
I think this is the hottest version of Nicholas Cage ever. This movie is so great! A modern 80's Romeo and Juliette.
½ May 24, 2015
I enjoyed this movie a lot. I'm not sure how good it is, technically speaking; watching it for the first time in 2015, I'm not sure it really holds up, but regardless of its actual technical skill, it's really funny and entertaining still, so that qualifies it as a success for me.

It must be said that a lot of the hilarious moments in the movie were probably unintentional. Nic Cage is pretty good, but most of the acting in the movie was pretty bad. I had to laugh a lot at how unsubtle all the characters' reactions were, especially Julie herself, just standing in the middle of the crowd at the party and staring at Randy. Also, there's a lot of scenes that are just weird, like when Julie's mom is massaging her dad really aggressively. That scene was just really odd because I didn't really understand the conversation or why the mom was massaging him to the point of shoving him around. My parents and I were watching it, and we all laughed, but partly just out of confusion. The pacing of both the story and the individual scenes in general seems kind of amateurish. And, of course, there's a lot of fun to be had making fun of the ridiculous outfits, hairstyles, and ways of speaking - words and phrases like 'bitchin',' 'way cool,' 'tubular,' 'freakin' out,' and 'I'm so sure!' are really goofy but great.

If there was one thing in the movie I actually had a problem with, it was Julie's characterization. Julie was so utterly unlikable, to the point that it swung all the way back around to being funny (maybe just because I was watching it with people, and we all had fun hating on her). Deborah Foreman's acting was really bad to begin with. Then there's the fact that, honestly, Julie is an idiot. It comes through in a lot of scenes, like in her dumb responses to her friends who are giving her advice on who to date. There's one scene in particular when she seemed moronic; after Julie's dad gives her a long analogy about how she shouldn't reject something just because it's different (or whatever), Julie says, "Okay. But who do I choose, Randy or Tommy?" It sounds so vapid, of course, but I can't fault her much for that, since that's the movie's image of the valley girl. It's more dumb just because her dad laid out a whole analogy for her, and she still can't get it. It would've been funny if her dad just replied, "Do you really not get what I just said?"

Julie is also kind of a tease, switching back and forth between Randy and Tommy at almost random times. Tommy was a jerk, of course, but when she threw a cake or whatever in his face at the end, I had to feel a little bad for the guy. It wasn't like Randy swooped in and made one big last romantic monologue about how he loves Julie and doesn't want her to end their beautiful relationship over a simple difference in images. Randy basically just showed up, and she immediately accepted him back and ran away from Tommy. It was an odd character choice.

Anyways, as bad as that character arc sounds, it didn't make me not enjoy the movie. I think it just made the central romance matter a little less to me. The whole thing is super entertaining and funny, but it wasn't a romance that I was deeply invested in because despite Nic Cage's good work, Julie was a pretty shitty character. I was actually more into Suzy and Fred's possible romance. Another unintentional funny moment: how Fred keeps just chasing Suzy around the car, and she KEEPS yelling, "Fred! Stop!" It's just incessant, and, again, hilarious how unlikable Suzy is at some points, with her constant whining. Maybe it was all that complaining that made me want to see her give in to Fred (that sounds weirdly phrased, but you know what I mean), but I liked the characters of Suzy and Fred.

Looking back at what I've written, this movie seems a lot like a hate-watch. Maybe it is, kind of. Watching it by myself, I don't think I would've had as much fun. Still, despite any issues or unintentional humor, I have a soft spot for old comedies like this that are hopelessly outdated. Clueless, for example, is a much better movie, but I also liked the goofy language similar to Valley Girl. Besides, the movie isn't all bad. The central romance was sweet, and I was surprised by how much I loved the soundtrack, which I'll be listening to in the future. And a lot of the laughs were intentional, like when Randy yells, "Fuck off, for sure! Totally" to mock Julie's valley girl speech, or when that weird rando in the health food store offers to comfort Julie. It's a movie that's probably outdated, but if the technical skill lost turns into just as many laughs and fun, I don't mind at all.
½ April 11, 2015
Good coming of age flick where the two leads'd have to have grown up in this era to really get this.
February 13, 2014
A great lost treasure of the 80's. The hippy parents and the supporting cast are great, and Nicolas Cage knocks it out of the park in one of his most grounded and perfect performances.
February 6, 2014
it's pretty eh...
not that Nicolas Cage and Deborah Foreman are bad actors, I actually like their characters
they address all the various social statuses and cliques of which people associate with and how they are divided from the Valley to the rest of the area
it's just that the film spends a long time in the beginning to get things rolling, the dialogue is awkwardly written and the series of montages stretches the movie far too long
February 4, 2014
Totally tubular 80's teen comedy (fer shure)
December 23, 2013
Took another viewing ride to the Valley. And oh my god!!! I still love this movie! So bitchin'! Nicolas Cage was tubular cool in his starring performance as Randy. And the whole movie is so much fun! For sure, for sure!!! ***** Excellent
½ December 7, 2013
One of, if not the best 80s movies!
November 1, 2013
One of my all time favorite throw away teen comedies. It's not as funny as Sixteen Candles or Weird Science, and not as important as the Breakfast Club or Fast Times at Ridgemont High, but it's every bit the great 80's flick.
August 17, 2013
Pretty funny and very sweet
½ June 25, 2013
"Like, it's not cool at all! Like, it's all this stuff that tastes like nothing and it's supposed to be so good for you. Why couldn't they, like, open a Pizza Hut or something?" I'd never seen this iconic 80s film before and it was a lot better than I'd expected. I was planning to just sit down for some nostalgia and figured I was in for a typical crass 80s comedy like "Private School" or "Mischeif," but the film was surpisingly non-expoitative and actually took time to develop some very likable characters. The story of Deborah Foreman, as the title Valley Girl, falling for bad-boy Nicolas Cage is not all that strong and is the main downfall of the film, but there is a lot to like about the film. Foreman, who I really haven't seen in much outside of "April Fools Day" and "Real Genius" (also directed by Martha Coolidge), is very winning in a role that could easily have been fluff, as are her friends in the film, especially EG Daily (you'd recognize the voice and face if not the name) and Michelle Meyrink (who I had a crush on as Jordan in "Real Genius"). And in terms of 80s nostalgia, the film is dripping in it (music, hair, clothes and, of course, valley speak). On the filmmaking side, it's directed by Martha Coolidge ("Real Genius" "Rambling Rose") and was shot by David Lynch and Jim Jarmusch frequent collaborator Frederick Elmes. Overall, it's not quite John Hughes 80s iconic, but it's certainly a lot of fun to watch for children of the 80s.
June 23, 2013
I hated the main character because she seemed like the hugest follower on the planet...but I like this movie. And wow Nicolas Cage was actually kinda cute in this movie!
May 2, 2013
I will openly admit best Nicolas Cage movie and I don't like him. This movie shows it's okay to be different and go against the crowd. Live your life they way you want to not the way people/friends want you to.
April 21, 2013
another amazon find
½ April 7, 2013
first released when I was a teen! Now I own the movie, and my kids and I watch it. They love it! Especially the punk rock look on Cage!
½ April 3, 2013
udeyUY HuI your life of Industry rail and they jUsT uhdu it 395 fubdj guru hunt uhh huh and a half wooo the people who didn't do anything hi h