Reviews

• May 10, 2021

I saw this film during its original 1971 run and it was probably my first experience with this kind of film ending. I loved it at the time as it sorta shook my world. A later re-watch took away the remembered lustrous glow, as this one is deeply rooted into 1971 and some characters are only ugly stereotypes. Still, for me it's one of the best car chase films ever, I like it better than "Bullitt."

• May 05, 2021

Though some aspects are a little dated, Vanishing Point is an entertaining and thrilling 70's action movie with exciting and well-shot car chases and some well-done, subtle character depth.

• Mar 13, 2021

A high speed chase that makes history even for one man. They can chase him all day but can't seem to catch him.A person can head toward or disappear into the horizon. Barry Newman is Kowalski, former Vietnam war veteran. Honorably discharged and runs on speed. As a driver for hire he's tasked with transporting a car from Colorado to California. The authorities are hot on his tail. If Kowalski can make it under 15 hours his amphetamine is free. All the whole this gains the support and attention of a radio jockey Super Soul. Kowalski not only becomes an outlaw but a symbol for martyrdom and freedom. I like how this whole thing is essentially a giant chase. The car scenes are very well filmed full of excitement, adrenaline, and some very realistic crashes. Quite the selective soundtrack as well. There's even a flashback showing how good Kowalski is behind the wheel. A more painful one shows why he also left the police force. More of this drivers former life is shown during his whole trek. He's meant to be an allegorical figure representing death." Kowalski could stop at any moment but he chooses the path of the empty desert with no outside influence to guide him. The white Dodge Challenger R/T is quite the formidable vehicle, Kowalski has to rely on this automobile to make it all the way. Only if you make war on war you can overcome it, you can beat the clock and the chase but you can't beat the desert, speed is freedom of the soul Beautiful shots of the desert, the highway roads, and the beating sun on the driver's vehicle add to the allure of this high-speed chase flick. It's representative of the 70s counterculture being anti-establishment while still being able to touch upon a variety of different issues being experienced during that time – racism, homophobia, and feelings of oppression – all of which are still applicable today. The movie is a big car chase yet filled with Biblical symbolism and references of outside forces trying to guide the decisions of our "last American Hero." A fun ride with lots of hidden meanings.

• Jan 10, 2021

One of my favorite movies of all time. Don't watch the remake. That one is too politically correct.

• Sep 17, 2020

There isn’t much story to Vanishing Point. It’s a movie about a guy who is delivering a car 3 states away and he’s determined to get it there on time, despite the fact that police are trying to chase him down for reckless driving. The way he puts so many lives at risk doesn’t exactly make him endearing for me, even though they always make a point of showing that he hasn’t actually hurt anyone. There are some interesting elements to his journey, but in general I found Vanishing Point to be flat and dull. All the little stops along the way feel like a time capsule of what was going on in the nation back in the mid-to-late 1970s, which I suppose is worthwhile for some people but it never developed his character any further which was something I needed in order to care more about the story. I’m not a big car guy, so watching a 90 minute car chase doesn’t do much to intrigue me. I liked some of the stunts, but when they spent long stretches of time just driving down the road I was bored. To be honest, I was more interested in Cleavon Little as the DJ who was trying to help the protagonist on his journey. The way he latches onto this story and creates a sort of folk hero out of this lone man on the run was the best part of Vanishing Point. Barry Newman was quite cold and distant, so it was hard to connect with him as a protagonist anyways. There were a few fun characters that he met along the way, but in general Vanishing Point was nothing more than a decent snapshot of the 1970s, and otherwise it felt like a lackluster movie.

• Nov 14, 2019

Well it's a classic, and for good reason. I've been meaning to watch this movie for over a decade and finally did it and I'm so thankful that I did. It's a balls out love letter to muscle cars, with awesome police chase scenes. Kowalski is so bad ass. The car is even badder. There's no plot or character development etc... it's almost a police chase from beginning to end. If you're a fan of car movies, watch the original one: Vanishing Point.

• Nov 09, 2019

Really great example of the action drama.

Really great example of the action drama.

• Aug 11, 2019

An interesting observation of one man's quest to arrive at "point-B" without any concern of how he gets there is worth the time to watch. And especially, if you are a fan of fast cars and spectacular chase scenes then this flick is just what the doctor ordered.

• Feb 05, 2019

Why is Barry Newman not featured on this page, and then checking out his page Vanishing Point doesn't appear on his list credits? WTF?

• Jan 19, 2019

An early 70's road movie. Former policeman and war hero is now in a new business. He transport hot cars. Fast. He drives empty desert roads with no rest, just some speed and gas. Police is crawling up his tail and he follow some of the action behind him on radio where a show got some inside information and broadcast it. This is a solid car film. The car is amazing, the roads are great and I dig the music. Weird people show up all the time and it's a fun little ride that never seem repitative or dragging. Cool acting and some sweet scenes and a competitor to "Duel", a very similiar film in many ways that also came out in 1971. This is not as great, but not far from it. 7 out of 10 naked ladies on motorbikes.