Vanishing Point Reviews

• Nov 14, 2019

Well it's a classic, and for good reason. I've been meaning to watch this movie for over a decade and finally did it and I'm so thankful that I did. It's a balls out love letter to muscle cars, with awesome police chase scenes. Kowalski is so bad ass. The car is even badder. There's no plot or character development etc... it's almost a police chase from beginning to end. If you're a fan of car movies, watch the original one: Vanishing Point.

• Nov 09, 2019

Really great example of the action drama.

Really great example of the action drama.

• Aug 11, 2019

An interesting observation of one man's quest to arrive at "point-B" without any concern of how he gets there is worth the time to watch. And especially, if you are a fan of fast cars and spectacular chase scenes then this flick is just what the doctor ordered.

• Feb 05, 2019

Why is Barry Newman not featured on this page, and then checking out his page Vanishing Point doesn't appear on his list credits? WTF?

• Jan 19, 2019

An early 70's road movie. Former policeman and war hero is now in a new business. He transport hot cars. Fast. He drives empty desert roads with no rest, just some speed and gas. Police is crawling up his tail and he follow some of the action behind him on radio where a show got some inside information and broadcast it. This is a solid car film. The car is amazing, the roads are great and I dig the music. Weird people show up all the time and it's a fun little ride that never seem repitative or dragging. Cool acting and some sweet scenes and a competitor to "Duel", a very similiar film in many ways that also came out in 1971. This is not as great, but not far from it. 7 out of 10 naked ladies on motorbikes.

• Jan 03, 2019

Fantastic existentialist and allegorical car chase movie. Really. One well worth catching.

• Nov 14, 2018

This 70's cult classic gets better with age. It's not only the greatest car chase film of all time, it's a glimpse into early 1970's counter culture. As Super Soul says, Kowalski is the 'Last American Hero' - the last free soul lost in a country he no longer can exist in. The film has themes much deeper than it's credited for and if you watch it on bluray, give the commentary by director Richard C. Sarafian a listen.

• Oct 31, 2018

Saw in 1972 and didn't really think about until a few years ago. Itunes wasn't renting and trying to order in Canada was a no go through DVD shops. Finally found one on Amazon at the same time I found a copy of Traffic (2000). I ordered both since iTunes doesn't rent either of them. 46 years later it is still a great movie.

• Aug 17, 2018

Uncritical nihilistic narcissism and gear-head egoism masquerading as an avant-garde existentialist piece of cinematic poetry; in truth, it's philosophy is didactic and shallow, a promising premise undeveloped. This is not MAD MAX: FURY ROAD, a film that similarly is structured as one long car race, but which, underneath its revolving rims and revving engines, is visually surreal, politically engaged, and philosophically challenging-subjective freedom means social responsibility and personal destitution. While VANISHING POINT cleverly draws upon the desert, the horizon, and the traffic line as metaphors for modern alienation and the compulsion toward nothingness that is the Freudian death drive, the movie fundamentally misunderstands these concepts and so reactively resorts to the typical lone wolf, "last American hero" archetype that offers no escape from alienation, but is its own retroactive cause. Thus the slow and limited drip of narrative information and character background that we are privy to-which is the most interesting and creative aspect of the movie-ends up feeling less like a realization of the "existence precedes essence" mantra, instead seeming to bely the confusion over what exactly that means.

• Jun 02, 2018

Vanishing Point is probably the most unusual and bold car chase film I have ever seen. But calling it a car chase film still isn't enough to describe this strange and beautiful masterpiece of a film. Oh no, it is so much more than that. Kowalski drives and delivers cars for a living. After getting back from one job, he immediately accepts another job which will take him from Denver to San Francisco with the due date being Monday. However, he goes to a dealer and buys speed to stay awake and makes a bet with the dealer that he will complete the delivery in under 24 hours. What begins is a quixotic journey across four states in a souped up 1970 Dodge Challenger that serve as a snapshot of America and the era itself. While driving at such a ridiculous speed, he draws the attention of law enforcement as well as a blind D.J. named Super Soul who has a weird telepathic connection to Kowalski. During his journey, Kowalski becomes a hero of sorts for people, with Super Soul even referring to him as "The last free man on earth." He is rebelling against the authority (Or "The Man" as this is a 70's film) which many Americans didn't trust at the time as well being a symbol of freedom. Kowalski himself is an unusual character with a colorful past. He's a Vietnam veteran, a former cop who exposed corruption in his force, a failed stock car driver, and lost a girlfriend who tragically drowned. This leaves the viewer pondering his quest. Is he running away from his past? Or is he chasing something? You will know how it ends for Kowalski - an inevitable fate. It's a beautiful, transcendent journey where he encounters all sorts of strange characters and we learn about him as a person. It is a deep, beautiful, and compelling film that is so much more than you'd think at first glance. It is also a bold and liberating film experience that makes you feel like you're a part of it. While some say this film is dated, if anything, it remains timeless as it reflects the anxieties of the American landscape or even just the universal feeling of trying to find yourself and wanting to be free. Vanishing Point is a masterpiece, pure and simple. It's not just one of the best films of the 1970's, but I think of it as among the greats of the 20th century and for me, one of the fifty greatest films I have ever seen. I cannot begin to gush enough about this beautiful film. You have to see it for yourself.