Venus in Furs (Paroxismus) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Venus in Furs (Paroxismus) Reviews

½ March 7, 2016
A jazz musician obsesses over a dead woman. Nudity (and some trumpet-playing) ensue, with an unexpected twist at the end.
½ November 28, 2013
This is a slow and very surreal experience that wouldn't look out of place in 'Twin Peaks' in parts. James Darren is subdued in the lead role which he probably wouldn't have had to do if they had not have cancelled Time Tunnel.
November 12, 2012
Jess Franco's masterpiece is one of the rare films truly deserving of that overused description: dreamlike. AIP foisted some psychedellic effects on the English language version, and Franco has let it be known that he wasn't in favor of those changes, but beyond that it works beautifully. Maria Rohm is exceptional as the gorgeous angel of death, Barbara McNair provides heart and soul, James Darren does better than one might expect, Klaus Kinski has no difficulty nailing his role as a weird S&M freak, and Dennis Price brings gravitas to a role entirely free of dialogue. The scene where Rohm seduces Price is arguably the best scene in all of Franco.
January 7, 2012
The song is better than the film.
½ December 2, 2011
For director Franco, this is an all-star cast but the result is still putrid.
November 9, 2011
One of Jess Franco's best more then lives up to its reputation a great psychedelic trip.
July 24, 2011
awesome sexploitation flic
½ July 14, 2011
Outstanding surrealist madness, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Clearly an influence on Lynch's work from Twin Peaks onwards. A must see if you like his movies.
July 12, 2011
Excellent mood piece from the talented Jesus/Jess Franco. The camera is so frenetic and strange that the film feels like a dream. The score from Manfred Mann is also great. Slips into some 60s silliness here and there and the ending is super campy but overall a fun ride.
December 3, 2010
Venus in Furs is a true classic in Jess Franco canon, but you should not expect an adaptation of Leopold von Sacher-Masoch's novel of the same name. In fact, The Velvet Underground song of the same name has more to do with the novel than Franco's film. However, given Franco's fascination with sexploitation, horror and Marquis de Sade stories, it is not surprising that he would attempt a film with the title Venus in Furs. The film features some brief moments of S&M but never in the way that the novel depicts them. Instead, Franco crafts a supernatural, surrealistic tale of sexual excess and revenge that takes the viewer both to the heights of pleasure as well as to the nadir of meaningless, ambiguity, and despair. Ultimately, Venus in Furs is a film about how we construct our identities based upon our sexuality and our relationships with others. Indeed, if Venus in Furs the film has a statement about masochism, it is that all love is masochistic because it gives the other the privileged place of defining our identities. Venus in Furs is Franco at his best and a film that should not be missed by fans of horror and exploitation cinema.
½ November 4, 2010
Great stuff by Franco. In 1969 it must have been a shocker, but even now it's twisted, oniristic, soft-core dramaturgy goes straight up your brain cells. A lot of erotism and a lot of mystery mixes well, even though screenplay seems a bit out of order. Very recommended to Franco ardent fans and legions of exploitation cinema maniacs!
October 29, 2010
Poor acting, slow to plodding plot. But what really ticks me off is there was no attempt to sync the main character's valve fingering and breathing to his trumpet music. Can you believe that?
½ June 12, 2010
A bad movie, with the flavor of meaningfulness
½ February 3, 2010
As near as I can tell the three perverts are as follows - a sadist, a lesbian, and a guy who likes feet and cunnilingus. After a night of wanton free love, Wanda ends up dead. Trumpter and Wanda lover (?) finds her washed up on the shore. Then years later she starts cock blocking Baraba McNair. Is she a ghost? Is she a succubus? It would have been awesome, and a real giallo tweest, if she had been trumpet boy dressed up on a killing spree. But no, there is a lot of slow motion and wavy special effects for dreamlike scenes. There are some great shots of Wanda in a wig and garters posing about. But her methods of killing are stupid. She provides one last night of pleasure before the men have heart attacks and the lesbo slices up her wrists in the bath. Horrible melodramatic soundtrack and stupid manferd man theme song round out this sometimes painful display of kinky sleaze.
December 22, 2009
This was an unexpected surprise. I had always heard Jess Franco films were garbage, but between this and Vampyros Lesbos, at this point in his career he was too grindhouse for the arthouse and vice versa. Who knows what they made at the drive-in of this eerie dream concocted from Vertigo and Carnival of Souls that also looked forward to Eyes Wide Shut and David Lynch. This is a creepy dream of sex and death.
December 4, 2009
The song is better than the film.
December 1, 2009
Mesmerizing! Sensual! Fantastic!
½ September 13, 2009
My first exposure to a Jess Franco film and it's sexy and very strange. It's definitely one of THOSE strange horror films you'd only see on a grindhouse screen but if that's up your alley you'll probably dig this. I look forward to exploring more of Franco's work.
½ August 14, 2009
Sometimes Jess Franco's movies are hit or miss. I liked the atmosphere of it, but it's nothing compared to something like Vampiros Lesbos. I found it kind of overlong as well. It's too bad more wasn't done with it.
½ August 7, 2009
Often considered exploitation auteur Jesus Franco's masterpiece - it's certainly his most accomplished film, but that's not saying much. Part erotic melodrama, part gothic horror - Franco crafts a few effective scenes and memorable visuals. But it's too slow-paced with a meandering plot to be really compelling - even Klaus Kinski seems tame in a small role. Great jazz score by Manfred Mann.