Fukkatsu no hi (Day of Resurrection) (The End) (Virus) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fukkatsu no hi (Day of Resurrection) (The End) (Virus) Reviews

½ August 6, 2007
Great forgotten film. Only watch the long version
July 15, 2007
This has a great reputation...I'd be curious to check it out.
July 5, 2007
All-star cast (look closely as they are much YOUNGER) brings to life this excellent doomsday scenario. Hooray for humanity which tries to hold out til the bitter end.
June 28, 2007
one of my favorite 80's movies
CloudIsAMonkey
April 12, 2007
Better not get it then!! o.0
February 18, 2007
kool as i want 2 see dis. i want 2 see every movie in da wole wide world of course im a movie lover
½ December 22, 2006
Virus (aka "The End")
Starring: George Kennedy, Bo Svenson, Masao Kusakari, Chuck Connors, Henry Silva, Glenn Ford, Robert Vaughn, Stephanie Faulkner, Stuart Gillard, Olivia Hussey, and Edward James Olmos
Director: Kinji Fukasaku

A genetically engineered flu virus sweeps the planet and wipes out all human life, save for a handful of soldiers and scientists at various Antarctic bases and on ships and in submarines. Will humanity be able to rise from the ashes, or is this truly the end?

"Virus" is a pretty decent disaster flick. It might be of particular interest if you were hiding under your bed during the bird flu hysteria of last year, as it describes the sort of pandemic doom that was being predicted, only tenfold. (On the other hand, if you were hiding under your bed, during the bird flu hype, maybe you SHOULDN'T see this movie. You'll never leave your house again.)

While there are a few things about the film I find improbable--foremost among these being the insane Joints Chief commander (Silva) who might have fit in perfectly in "Dr. Strangelove" but who was a foolish figure in a serious movie--the overall film was entertaining, if a little disjointed. (I gather that the version I saw is about 45 minutes shorter than the original running time of 255 minutes (!) so maybe there are missing bits that would have alleviated that feeling. Still... I think that three hours plus of this movie would have been waaaaay too much, so it's hard to say how I might feel about the full-length version.

All in all, this is a pretty good disaster movie. If nothing else, you can play "spot the Big Name Actor/Future Big Name Actor", because this thing is nearly an all-star cast. (Even Sonny Chiba puts in an appearance! Look closely for him!)
½ April 19, 2006
Okay, first of all this movie should only be viewed in the original Japanese cut (over 2 hours long!). Unfortunately, this movie is rarely found that way (believe me - checked eBay: no sign).

That said - I am reviewing the atrocious 103 minute cut which does away with a decent subplot and - worse - actually changes the ending!!

This is was a Japanese version of a disaster film and for a film from Japan - sports some decent name US talent - Glenn Ford, Robert Vaughn, George Kennedy, and even an early appearance from Edward James Olmos.

The basic premise is this - the East Germans (this is during the Cold War, natch) steal a sample of a virus that the US developed. Do a rotten spell of luck, the plane that it is traveling in crashes into the mountains of (apparently) Russia.

Somehow, the thing gets named the Italian Flu and the upshot is that nearly everyone dies on Earth except for some scientist on Antarctica.

Then things go bad...

Seems, the no-longer-existent US had it's automated defense system activated as did the long-dead USSR. This would be so bad, but one of the Japanese scientists figures out that a massive earthquake is due to strike Washington - which will trigger the system.

Oh, by the way, did I mention that the USSR decided to target Antarctica before the virus killed everyone (how convenient).

Well, the acting is not so bad - though the movie itself is pretty disjointed. One imagines that this actually could have been a very good movie in different hands and if the movie itself was so butchered in the process.

SO:

Fun level (0 to 10) - 5 (the Japanese cut would be a 7, remember this is a bit of a downer movie - not for the naturally depressed)

Search level (0 to 10) - 5 (the US cut is cheap to find, 10 for the Japanese cut - their is a rather good subplot dealing with the Japanese scientist and also the Japanese ending is not as much of a downer as this one is).

Total Rating: 5
March 6, 2006
a virus to your OPTICS!!!! don't watch this film it is pointless and DUMB haha it funny (not ment to be) at parts but thats just my dynamic humor... but this film realy is trash... why do you think flixter aint even got a pic for it???? its to save YOUR EYES!!!!! trust me don't even look at t he front cover.... in fact stop reading...........
February 14, 2005
[font=Courier New]I think the reason this movie is really no good, is because this is the American cut version. While this version focuses mainly on American?s suffering, the real version is longer and focuses on the Global problem.

[i]Virus[/i] was directed and co-written by Kenji Fukasaku, who is best known for his [i]Battle Royale[/i] films. The movie centers around the release of a deadly virus that basically kills all but a few of the human population. Now the last survivors struggle to survive and to come up with a cure.

The movie? remember I?m talking about the American cut version? does little to keep your attention. It gets to some really good points, but doesn?t really focus on them enough for you to care about what is going on. I really liked scenes where areas were being scanned for any life, and non were found.

And a scene where a couple hundred men have survived, while only 8 women have survived with them. And this group discusses about how to keep the human population going. But sadly, it is done so fast, you don?t really get a feel for the horror that is going on.

I like disaster movies, but don?t like it when I really don?t care if these people survive or not. And that is what this American cut of the film does. If I can see the extended version of the film, I hope that I like it a little better. Also, some of the acting in this movie was kind of bad. [/font]