Warlock Reviews

• Jun 17, 2018

Classic cowboys vs. the Town. Good character development in the Widmark character.

• May 12, 2018

Despite its ambitious plot, it falls short in delivery. Strong cast but overly dramatic.

• May 06, 2018

Henry Fonda ; Quinn; and Widmark at their finest; great western....

Henry Fonda ; Quinn; and Widmark at their finest; great western....

• Apr 15, 2017

Quote: Judge Holloway: "Wrong, wrong, wrong! We're using anarchy and murder to prevent anarchy and murder!"

• Jan 31, 2016

Amazing yet uneven oater. Almost a psychological study of Old West characters and their tormented relationships. Fonda's performance holds it all together but at times it appears very formal and all over the place. SPOILER ALERT His relationships with his partner Morgan and girlfriend Jesse are complex. Overtones of a gay relationship are pretty evident. But what does it all mean? Ostensibly, a study of courage in the face of violence and lawlessness but when the Shakespeare-quoting Morgan displays a death-wish when Clay wants to stay behind to settle down with a girl, you wonder where it's all leading. (Morgan's character in particular fascinated me because he must be one of the few leads in a film to actually be disabled without us knowing how he became so - obviously it wasn't a wounded leg, maybe polio) Everyone has their wants, from Gannon to Lilly to the town as a whole. The film is so broad that you can see the characters all striving to get what they want. Maybe that's why it dissatisfied me, in the end. The film focused on too many characters and seemed disjointed, confusing. For all its placid surface, things at times happen abruptly - and inexplicably. For example, how could we be convinced that Clay, seemingly so independent as played by Fonda, would overnight fall for Jesse and make plans to marry her in a fortnight's time? I mean, this important conversation between them took place off-screen too. Maybe the director couldn't make it seem convicting if we actually heard them discussing this! And it was incredibly important to the plot because it led to Clay and Morgan's estrangement (break-up?) and then Morgan's break-down. If it had been pruned by 30 mins. and tightened up this could have been a great movie. Observations: Tom Drake especially in voice reminds me of Liam Neeson. A pity he didn't get to play in more movies. Extraordinary number of blue-eyed actors in leading roles. Was it a prerequisite!

• Mar 04, 2015

Refreshing to see so many quality actors in one film, a film in which none of the good guys wears a *white hat*. In that respect, this film foreshadows Eastwood's Unforgiven. With DeForest Kelley & Frank Gorsham.

• Oct 26, 2014

Intriguing and far from derivative western with more complexity and character development than you'd usually expect. It ticks along with all the things you'd expect from a small town western but is never predictable.

• Nov 09, 2013

131108: An old film but a good film. Great actors, good action and an interesting story. Hard to believe this film was done in 1959, seems much more advanced than that. I liked this movie a lot and found it very reminiscent of Appaloosa (2008). Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Robert Parker, the writer of the novel from which Appaloosa was born, had seen this film. It's too close for plagiaristic comfort. 160604: Had bought this film after watching it off TV. Yes, I liked it that much. Upon this viewing, like it just as much, if not more. Recently saw Fonda in My Name is Nobody (1973) and my passion for his work continues. Tom Morgan's (Quinn's) outfit with the blue vest is my inspiration for Cowboy Action Shooting. Love it. And Johnny Gannon's (Widmark) horse, the Grey, top notch. Add in a young DeForest Kelly and some amazing scenery and you've got a classic. This movie appeals to my western side, from many angles, in a big way. It ain't no white hat, black hat western. I'm happy to have added Warlock to my collection.

• May 24, 2013

A pretty exciting law and order Star Western--Psychological western in disguise!!

• Jul 01, 2012

With the exception of a few standouts ("Once Upon a Time in the West," "High Noon," "Stagecoach") the whole western genre seems avoidable. Here's further proof.