The Warriors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Warriors Reviews

December 3, 2013
This was a awesome movie.
November 30, 2013
Great fun. Now that I've seen this I've completed my transformation; I'm a true New Yorker.
November 25, 2013
I really liked this cult from the late '70s. Naive at times, with a directive style closer to a documentary than a movie rich in special effects. The dialogue is not impressive, but there is no real need for it as the well depicted characters speak for themselves. I love the '70s urban culture!
November 20, 2013
I've had this cult-film in my "to watch list" for quite a while and finally decided to give it a shot. I must say that "The Warriors" truly surpassed every expectation I had of it, many dystopian-action films of this era fail to impress me, even though they are widely recognized films. I found this film, however, to be a lesser known gem.

It takes place in a not to distant future where hundreds of small gangs rule New York, these gangs mostly have names that are vaguely reminiscent of sports-teams. The Warriors, The Rogues, Turnbull AC's and Baseball Furies just to name a few and all of these gangs have a theme, which draws the mind to the classic, "A Clockwork Orange" the society in this film seems similar, but the approach is much more focused on style and the scope of the story narrower. When Cyrus the leader of New York's most powerful gang holds a gathering for almost all of the city's gangs in an attempt to form an alliance, The Rogues murder him and frames The Warriors, who now have to make the entire trip from the gathering in Bronx to their turf in Coney Island while being pursued by every rival gang in New York. The style of the film with the themed gangs, the cool action scenes, the dark settings and the burdensome quest would make one think the film was based on a graphic-novel that, however, is not the case the director was just shooting for a comic-book look and even starts every chapter of the film with a comic-strip. The film was actually based on a novel which borrows some elements from the old greek text Anabasis.
November 19, 2013
My Favorite Action Film Is 1988's Die Hard.
November 5, 2013
Warriorsss, come out to playyyee!
October 24, 2013
One of my favorites of all time
October 2, 2013
It was a fun mix of juxtaposition of Greek myth set in a modern-day (late 1970's of course) city instead of an Ancient Bronze Age landscape. An adaptation flick similar to what is done with Shakespeare plays from that era. West Side Story takes takes Romeo and Juliet out of feuding Italian families of Verona and puts them smack dab in modern-day (early 1960's of course) Manhattan Island gang conflict between Irish and Puerto Rican ballet dancing hoodlums who occasionally break into song and dance numbers written by Leonard Bernstien and Stephen Sondheim. Then there is Joss Wheaton's new one about Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. This was a fun fanciful adaptation that took something from myth and real life and hyper-intensified it into a modern Greek play. Take it for what it is and have another bag of buttered popcorn for the second act.
½ September 28, 2013
A courageous action film filled with retro-futurism. Bright neon lights fill every frame, separating character from setting in a city run by thousands of gangsters working towards a truce. One group, The Warriors, get framed for a murder and find themselves trying to escape back to Coney Island - their home.

Once you can get past the 70's cheese, stale acting and action sequences, you can see what the film is saying rather than how it's saying it. A brightly lit train keeps whirring through station to station: showing the past, present, and future. Every time they get on the train, they are forced off by people looking for them. Can they get back on the train? Will they get home? All of this happens in one action-packed night in the gangster-ridden city.
September 27, 2013
Could be seen as an indictment of humanity's behavior in general, if you wanna dig that deep, which you more than likely won't be when watching.
September 22, 2013
like the fuckin move
September 19, 2013
Awesome movie for it's time when I was growing up!
½ September 15, 2013
The one advantage of 2am feeds is catching up on awesome films like this!
September 11, 2013
Very wonderful and hot movie most see this one...
September 7, 2013
Don't believe the hype: This is a lazy film, completely devoid of character development and plot. Utterly meaningless, shoddy filmmaking that holds a perplexingly strong reputation among critics.
½ September 7, 2013
Dark and savage, "The Warriors" is as stylistically stunning as it is pulse raising. More thriller than action flick, the film feels fresh even thirty years later.
½ September 5, 2013
It's hard to believe that anyone willingly lived in New York City in the 70's. Although the dialogue and acting is wooden, it's creative and fun, gaining cult status. Although I shouldn't be in a gang, I would want to be in the Baseball Furies.
½ September 2, 2013
They did some original work in creating this futuristic gang war in NYC. It was tacky at times, but fun with its relationship to the comic and enough cheese to go around. A historic look at the NYC subway system to boot.
September 1, 2013
this movie is cool I will love to see this again
August 29, 2013