The Warriors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Warriors Reviews

½ January 11, 2014
Forever one of my personal favourites. What it lacks in script it more than makes up for in artistic design choices and raw, unmitigated attitude.
cosmo313
½ January 8, 2014
I realize that the filmmakers weren't trying to make a completely serious or realistic film, but at the same time, it's hard to deny the debt this film owes to history and mythology. It's one of those stories you can either take at face value, read deeper meanings into it, or both. Regardless, you can still enjoy it and be entertained.

I've got a bias towards this film that I need to state upfront. I like 70s crime and action movies. Gritty location photography is awesome, especially urban location photography. I liked the atmosphere of paranoia and tension surrounding things. It reminded me a lot of Assault of Precinct 13 (the original), as well as later films (that I saw before I saw this one) such as Escape From New York and Judgement Night.

As I mentioned above, you can read as little or as much into this as you want, and it would be totally fine to do so. By reading into it, this film can rise above its place as a well-made B-Movie, and it can becomes something more, something a scholar could use for some sort of study or something, such as cinematic representations of gang warfare and race relations.

While not great the acting is actually pretty decent. Michael Beck is great, and David Patrick Kelly is the definite scene stealer. I don't know what it is, but seeing a black guy with a fro wearing Native American garb brought a smile to my face. Yet again this is something that could be analyzed to death. This wasn't quite as gritty or violent as I thought it might be, but I didn't actually mind too much. As much as I appreciate visceral shocking violence, I much prefer subtlety and more downplayed mayhem.

I better stop before I ramble too much more. Bottom line, if you haven't seen this yet, you probably should. It's a definite cult classic that deserves all the praise it gets.
January 8, 2014
One of my favorite movies and always will be, The Warriors is about this big gang meeting when they're leader Cyrus gets shot and someone blames the warriors so they have to fight they're way back home. Awesome plot. Awesome Fighting. Awesome soundtrack. Just an awesome movie. Enough said.
January 7, 2014
just love it! wore my vhs tape out.
½ January 7, 2014
"I don't like the way you live." Ok. I don't love The Warriors. It's one of those seminal films of my youth that I just never bothered with. The first time I saw the movie, I was 18/19 and well on my way of being a snooty film freak. My initial thought back then was that Walter Hill perfected this sort of whacko gangland in his rock opera Streets of Fire. Still,this film is a bit of a wonder. I absolutely love its earnestness. Here's a New York City in which Mimes rove the streets looking for trouble, where Baseball Furies terrify in warpaint, and where hillbillies in roller skates are the toughest dudes on the block. You can't help but chuckle at the sight of skinhead goons marauding about in a Road Warrior wagon. It's all about honor, friendship, and gash....uh...yeah, there are some awkward moments. The Warriros always seem like a bad date away from running a train on their one female companion - I know this, cuz our hero Swan says exactly that. James Remar is the angry tough guy that gets taken off the stage when he fails to rape an undercover police woman. So yeah, The Warriors, it's not too PC. But it's a fascinating watch. VF.
January 3, 2014
"Warriors Come out and Play!!" A Coney Island street gang is forced to fight their way back from the Bronx when they are accused of killing the charismatic leader who wants to unite all of the NYC gangs. Has a cult like quality.
December 30, 2013
This movie is a cult classic. It's a must see 70's gang film due to its nostalgia, memorable quotes and most of all how far ahead of its time it was. It was pointless in some ways but you don't care because you want to know what happens. Its short and sweet and gets the story across. It's definately a one of a kind gang movie. It falls short in a few areas but remember this is 1979, It's well worth watching. Warriors! Come out and plaaaaaay! I dug it.
½ December 6, 2013
This movie is a classic. It is simple. It is campy. It still manages to pull of being completely brilliant. Packed with awesome fighting scenes and risky situations. Cult classic galore.
December 3, 2013
This was a awesome movie.
November 30, 2013
Great fun. Now that I've seen this I've completed my transformation; I'm a true New Yorker.
November 25, 2013
I really liked this cult from the late '70s. Naive at times, with a directive style closer to a documentary than a movie rich in special effects. The dialogue is not impressive, but there is no real need for it as the well depicted characters speak for themselves. I love the '70s urban culture!
November 20, 2013
I've had this cult-film in my "to watch list" for quite a while and finally decided to give it a shot. I must say that "The Warriors" truly surpassed every expectation I had of it, many dystopian-action films of this era fail to impress me, even though they are widely recognized films. I found this film, however, to be a lesser known gem.

It takes place in a not to distant future where hundreds of small gangs rule New York, these gangs mostly have names that are vaguely reminiscent of sports-teams. The Warriors, The Rogues, Turnbull AC's and Baseball Furies just to name a few and all of these gangs have a theme, which draws the mind to the classic, "A Clockwork Orange" the society in this film seems similar, but the approach is much more focused on style and the scope of the story narrower. When Cyrus the leader of New York's most powerful gang holds a gathering for almost all of the city's gangs in an attempt to form an alliance, The Rogues murder him and frames The Warriors, who now have to make the entire trip from the gathering in Bronx to their turf in Coney Island while being pursued by every rival gang in New York. The style of the film with the themed gangs, the cool action scenes, the dark settings and the burdensome quest would make one think the film was based on a graphic-novel that, however, is not the case the director was just shooting for a comic-book look and even starts every chapter of the film with a comic-strip. The film was actually based on a novel which borrows some elements from the old greek text Anabasis.
November 19, 2013
My Favorite Action Film Is 1988's Die Hard.
November 5, 2013
Warriorsss, come out to playyyee!
October 24, 2013
One of my favorites of all time
October 2, 2013
It was a fun mix of juxtaposition of Greek myth set in a modern-day (late 1970's of course) city instead of an Ancient Bronze Age landscape. An adaptation flick similar to what is done with Shakespeare plays from that era. West Side Story takes takes Romeo and Juliet out of feuding Italian families of Verona and puts them smack dab in modern-day (early 1960's of course) Manhattan Island gang conflict between Irish and Puerto Rican ballet dancing hoodlums who occasionally break into song and dance numbers written by Leonard Bernstien and Stephen Sondheim. Then there is Joss Wheaton's new one about Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. This was a fun fanciful adaptation that took something from myth and real life and hyper-intensified it into a modern Greek play. Take it for what it is and have another bag of buttered popcorn for the second act.
½ September 28, 2013
A courageous action film filled with retro-futurism. Bright neon lights fill every frame, separating character from setting in a city run by thousands of gangsters working towards a truce. One group, The Warriors, get framed for a murder and find themselves trying to escape back to Coney Island - their home.

Once you can get past the 70's cheese, stale acting and action sequences, you can see what the film is saying rather than how it's saying it. A brightly lit train keeps whirring through station to station: showing the past, present, and future. Every time they get on the train, they are forced off by people looking for them. Can they get back on the train? Will they get home? All of this happens in one action-packed night in the gangster-ridden city.
September 27, 2013
Could be seen as an indictment of humanity's behavior in general, if you wanna dig that deep, which you more than likely won't be when watching.
September 22, 2013
like the fuckin move
September 19, 2013
Awesome movie for it's time when I was growing up!