Water - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Water Reviews

August 1, 2012
This political farce is bloody hilarious. A must see.
October 12, 2011
A ridiculous island revolution comedy. Like that one that Robin Williams did. But this one's British.

Michael Caine is the British ambassador to a havoc-wreaked island nation in the Caribbean. It's poor, devastated by volcano and hurricane and ignored by the British government due to its lack of any profitable resources.

Enter an American oil company who has had a dry oil sitting and rotting. While filming a commercial, they discovered a pool of mineral water which they decide to get rich off of. The island's lone "rebel" fighting for the people's "freedom" is Billy Connelly, who- get this- won't speak- he only sings. The rebel mistakes the water mine for an oil mine and calls in Cubans to help take it over. Meanwhile, the British government wants to abandon the island and use the citizens as labor elsewhere.

This is all confused by an environmental activist who is trying to defeat the industry that promises to bring scraps of wealth to its poorest population. She also, absurdedly, happens to be the daughter of the CEO.

I'm not sure how it ended, but every country mobilizes to occupy the joint for reasons they don't understand. British parody.
July 19, 2011
George Harrison hade some money to burn in the '80-s. It's hard to think that a movie like this would see the light of day if there wasn't a rich benefactor as George behind it, and that's our luck.

Here we get the story of the fictional british island colony in the carribean that is totally forgotten by the rest of the world. The island have in fact hasn´t got a state visit from the motherland since ca 1890. But they do have a governor (Michael Caine) a drunkard british priest (Fulton Mackay) a kind of frindly guirilla that counts in 2 persons led by Delgado (Billy Connolly) and a lot of rastafari-like inhabitants that enjoy a smoke and reggae music.

Things change a lot when a abandoned oil well suddenly hits (mineral) water (!)

Now Americans, the British, Cubans and even the French takes interest in the remote island

The movie is everything from witty to weird. It deals with metaphors to real events in the Falklands and Grenada, british state racism and smoking a lot of pot.

We get som '80s reggae-music of Eddie Grant and at one point a singing speech in the house of U.N backed up by Ringo Starr, George Harrison and Eric Clapton amongst others.

Well it's not boring, eventhough a bit confused at times
June 8, 2011
A classic British comedy with a rather eclectic cast. English humour at it's best. Shame that more people don't know of this one.
January 19, 2011
This movie is really funny, Caine is great as always, and the story is interesting because it has to do with a wacky little island and their strange politics. I really liked it.
½ October 14, 2010
The worst film i've never wasted my money to see at the cinema. It was plain awfull. 1985 was the year i saw the amazing 'Back to the Future'....then i saw this crap! lol
½ July 12, 2010
this is probably one of the best movies you've never herd of!
Michael Cane stars in this satire of west indian colonialism about an island called Cascanna and the halarity never lets up.
try to find this on DVD or video it is currently out of print.
May 30, 2010
A star studded cast in a movie that is hilarious in concept, in imagery and in dialogue. There are so many subtle lines and some fantastic character acting, you can atch it again and again and keep finding new levels of humour.
½ July 24, 2009
One of my absolute favourites
April 25, 2009
Unfairly maligned comedy from Handmade films. The script has some cracking gags nicely delivered by a quality cast, and apart from a misstep at the UN and some broadly painted caricatures in the background moves at a nice pace too.
April 20, 2009
Good look at colonialism, and Michael Caine is smoking a joint within the first five minutes of the movie. Yeah.
January 13, 2009
one of my favorite of all times :)
½ January 1, 2009
I love this movie, hadn't watched it in years... Michael Caine, Billy Connolly, cameos by Jimmie Walker, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, and Alfred Molina?
November 5, 2008
I will not speak until I can say cascara is free. Is that a speech impediment? One of the funniest movies ever Michael Cane at his funniest Billy Connolly no more needs to be said, Brenda Vaccaro ditto and the rest of the cast that make a movie that every fan of comedy should see. This takes parody to a new hight but it was the granddaddy of all Parody's with a final sequence by George Harrison, Eric Clapton and Ringo Star. 1000000000 out of 10
½ November 5, 2008
"I don't care, I don't give a damn, British Justice is a farce and a sham!"

I love this film, so I refuse to be rational about it. Tough.

"That's Ringo-whosits. And George Whatsits! It's Whosits and Whatsits together again! My god, it's the Concert for Cascara!"
"Isn't that Eric Clapton?"

Besides, with Dick Clement and Ian LaFrenais, how can you go wrong? See also Lovejoy, Still Crazy....
November 5, 2008
Funny as fuck, love this one!
November 5, 2008
absolutely love this film, one of the its old its bad but its soooo good kind!
November 5, 2008
Great movie, very funny...
½ November 5, 2008
Apparently only 3 people have seen this film!