White Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

White Christmas Reviews

April 28, 2017
The top-grossing film of 1954 has become a perennial holiday favorite, and Irving Berlin's bright score mixes old favorites ("Mandy") with new hits ("Count Your Blessings," which was Oscar-nominated), but the plot is dull and the film itself is overlong.
January 12, 2017
I'm really not sure this movie needed to be a Christmas movie. I know it's a Christmas-time classic and all, but the story really doesn't require it to be. You could really move it to any time of the year and it would still work. That sort of bugs me, and it bugs me when any movie does that just to get that Christmas audience and try to be the next holiday classic. But hell, I guess it worked, and here we are. So how's the movie? It's fine. It's a 50s musical, if you're into that sort of thing, you're going to love it. Personally, I thought it was cute, charming, and likable, but nothing spectacular. I've seen better movies of this type out there with better stories and better songs. To be honest, I barely even remember what the story was about (two old war friends pursuing these two sisters who were on the run for...reasons?). What I did like about the movie were the characters, especially the bromance between Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye. Crosby's the more cool and collected one, and Kaye is has that 50s screwball charm that I really enjoy. They were a fun pair, any scenes of the two of them together are really fun to watch because you really get a sense that these guys are buddies and have been for a while. The sisters are pretty good too. I liked the banter between Crosby and his love interest, that sort of Han Solo/Leia we-like-each-other-but-are-both-too-stubborn-to-admit-it banter, it was cute and they were both really fast in their delivery. In the end this isn't really a movie for me, and I don't see it becoming a Christmas classic, but I am glad I saw it once. It's cute and charming and has some fun performances, but I guess I just didn't get much out of it. Some minor charm and escapism I guess, so there's nothing wrong with that.
December 28, 2016
Christmas musical classic that stands is not only one of the best musicals of all time but one of the best holiday films ever. The cast is superb, with each showing off their strengths, from Crosby & Clooney's singing to Kaye's comedy to Allen's dancing. Behind the camera, the great Michael Curtiz keeps the story moving perfectly and while the plot is simple, it is a sweet one about former soldiers trying to help their former general. Mainly, it's a excuse for some brilliant musical sequences, from Vera Allen showing off her immortal dancing in 'Mandy' to the classic 'White Christmas' closing number. Just a great musical and required viewing every holiday season.
December 27, 2016
Stupendous light and fun movie - perfect for the holidays
½ December 26, 2016
Full of irresistible charm, lavish musical numbers, and classic performances from Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye, White Christmas deserves its status as a Christmas standard and should be viewed every time that season comes around.
December 25, 2016
You can't help but love it!
½ December 22, 2016
While it does have a promising beginning, "White Christmas" quickly becomes predictable and syrupy. Definitely one of the more overrated Christmas films.
December 19, 2016
Worst Christmas movie I have ever watched!
December 19, 2016
Great movie and great music.
December 17, 2016
Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye bring to the stage some amazing choreography and great performances.
½ December 16, 2016
A classic musical with a strong cast. I feel like it is missing more Christmas music though. An entertaining picture all-around, but I can't say I really consider it a true holiday movie even though it is often referred to as one. (First and only full viewing - 12/21/2009)
½ December 9, 2016
Looking for some holiday diversion? Miss the old-days of garishly cozy sound stages? Wanna see "White Christmas" sung by its originator? Then by all means...see Holiday Inn.
However, White Christmas, a mild confection of a film, will also do the trick. Coming from a wonderfully different era of film, we get multi-talented performers dancing, singing, acting, and delivering great dialogue, all with a smile on their face. It's a fairly shallow but glamorously fun standard that chugs with charm.
Much like director Curtiz's Casablanca, WC exists right on the edges of WWII, with a couple of army vets using their stage presences to woo girls and raise money for their ex-commanding-officer's new hotel. All the performers are clearly enjoying themselves, with Crosby and Kaye respectably matching their annoyed cynicism and wide-eyed mischievousness to enhance each joke and scene. The songs provide much of the charm; while far from totally stellar, the dancing and humor within the numbers are great.
What Curtiz really provides is some wonderful gravitas in the war setting, especially in the opening and closing scenes. The general character is a flawless combination of hard-edged soldier and kind-hearted old man. His face in the finale is wonderfully teary-eyed, and it's all done without depressing the mostly joyous proceedings.
What does drag the film down are the romantic-comedy annoyances (bad communication, random acts of infatuation, silly logic). At a solid 2-hrs, the film needed some cuts and much of these forced love-tropes should've hit the floor. Still, if you can set aside your cynicism for a night of frivolous American fluff, WC has plenty of charm to keep you humming along.
½ December 5, 2016
I am a big fan of both the song White Christmas and of Bing Crosby. But this musical comedy just didn't grab me at. The plot is very simple, the acting often appears staged, the settings fake, and many of the musical numbers uninteresting.
November 28, 2016
Best Christmas classic out their
½ November 12, 2016
One of my favourite Christmas films. Classic.
January 11, 2016
This is a film showcasing some incredible dance scenes. That's about it. There's a touch of the heartwarming with the general's story, but really this is a collection of dance scenes, some really great, but not much else.
½ January 4, 2016
Such a delightful, Christmas holiday tradition. Beautiful, timeless, fun.
½ December 30, 2015
It has some good dance scenes and musical numbers, but it drags on for too long.
December 25, 2015
A true classic, White Christmas is simultaneously of it's time and memorable today. It has a sensibility of an older time, and though it fulfills some common tropes, these kinds of films also helped to create them. Sure to be enjoyed by many at Christmases to come.