The Wild Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wild Life Reviews

½ October 26, 2016
It was alright! The unofficial sequel to 'Fast Times...'
Great cast, and, RICK MORANIS!!
½ June 4, 2016
Derivative but fun. If you loved Fast Times at Ridgemont High, you should like this. Chris Penn's character is goofy but ingratiating, the dialogue Is really funny and clever in spots, there are great cameos, and an 80's soundtrack with songs you haven't heard in other movies. A charming time capsule- nothing wrong with that!
April 8, 2014
Seen this movie before,great 80's classic dnt know why it's not up there wth sean penn's fast times at ridgemont high great laughs an chris penn steals the movie.please someone find an upload this classic.
June 6, 2013
Dull and unfunny rip-off o f the classic teen pic Fast Times at ridgemont High written by Cameron Crowe starring Sean Penn's brother basically playing Picolli' younger brother. Lots of talking and tons of future actors but nt really anything we haven't seen before and much funnier. Music by Edward Van Halen.
January 18, 2013
A post Fast Times teen comedy written by Cameron Crowe. The characters were good. What ever happened to Jenny Wright?
½ August 24, 2012
OMG, what a crazy movie. Thoroughly enjoyed watching this movie and liked all the characters and their different personalities which made the storyline exciting even though it wasn't that interesting in the beginning. Overall, a pretty good 80s movie. As the song goes - "Born To Be Wild~~~~~~" :)
½ April 10, 2012
an often overlooked little gem from cameron crowe. one of my all time faves
November 20, 2011
Great cast, clumsy storytelling
July 9, 2011
Disappointing follow up to Fast Times. Most of the leads are likable enough but their stories are not very interesting and the movie just isn't funny. The best thing it has going for it (and the only reason it comes up in trivia) is the score by Eddie Van Halen.
April 29, 2011
another slice of 80s teenager life through the eyes of Cameron Crowe.. not his best work but still pretty good
February 21, 2011
Awful. Just awful. The only reason I watched the entire movie was to see if it got better but the all star cast only got worst.
½ January 26, 2011
Definitely a red-headed stepchild of "Fast Times..." but who cares? Chris Penn was hilarious and it had a great ensemble cast, including a cameo by Lee Ving as the Cable Guy. An overlooked 80's gem. If you didn't catch it on cable, you definitely lost out (unless you're hoarding a VHS copy from the 90's). I was lucky enough to catch it on HBO recently after many years and call me juvenile, but it still holds up. "It's casual..."
January 19, 2011
The purest form of anti-establishment.
½ January 17, 2011
An average teen drama like Fast Times at Ridgemont High and other like it. The cast is good, and the characters are interesting, but the story is all over the place. This movie could have been better.
December 25, 2010
Ilan Mitchell-Smith is really cute here, and is the star of this movie for me. Even critics who slammed this movie praised him for his performance. This is fun to watch, if nothing else.
December 8, 2010
Loved it. I dig old school teen films. And lea thompson is hot!
½ December 2, 2010
Cameron Crowe's second screenplay after Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and it plays pretty much like a lesser version of that film. An amusing '80s teen comedy, but nowhere close to Fast Times or Say Anything.
November 22, 2010
In this day and age, it's very easy to find information and have access to all the videos, songs, and photos you want. But I still yearn for a challenge to find some pop culture gems, and I had one up until a few days ago when I found a rare gem on ebay; an 80's movie I've heard things about but never had the pleasure of watching. That movie is The Wild Life, written by Cameron Crowe and featuring a cool synth-rock score from Eddie Van Halen. The Wild Life was never released on DVD due to Eddie refusing to give up the music rights or possibly wanting way too much money that the movie studio refused to grant. Also, since the movie wasn't very good, the studio probably decided not to pursue the music rights for a movie that wouldn't even sell more than a few copies. The Wild Life is kind of like a sequel to Cameron Crowe's breakout movie, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, dealing with teen issues like jobs, partying, sex, and fitting in. The movie stars Eric Stoltz as a high school grad relegated to working in a bowling alley to save up money so he can buy a place and live on his own. Chris Penn, doing his best Alex Winter impersonation even though this movie was released four years before Bill & Ted, is the comic relief of the movie. He is part Spicoli, (how ironic since he is Sean Penn's little bro), part Ogre, a party- hardy high school jock who thinks that marrying his high-school sweetheart is the key to being happy. The movie also features Lea Thompson as Stoltz's ex-girlfriend (no that isn't a prequel to Some Kind Of Wonderful!!!) as a Dunkin Donuts employee who believes she has found true love with an older man who happens to be a cop. Then, there is her pal and Penn's love interest played by Jenny Wright (the 80's chick who didn't quite become a household name, but might be best known for a nice butt scene in Young Guns II) who is trying to find success in her career as a retail salesperson in the mall). Last but not least is Ilan-Mitchell Smith, who would become best known as Wyatt in Weird Science two years later, as the freshman obsessed with Vietnam and war, who is trying to win the heart of a young lassie. Also making cameos are Rick Moranis, Sherilyn Fenn, and Randy Quaid. The Wild Life was cheesy and a good representation of the 80's, but I can see why the movie really didn't make it big. The attempt at creating a new 80's catch phrase, It's Casual! went over like a dead fart. The best part of the film is Eddie Van Halen's score. Van Halen fans will appreciate snippets of songs that would later become big songs for the band (i.e. Right Now). 80's movie fans or those who enjoy Cameron Crowe should check this film out, but you'll have to find it on VHS and get it converted to DVD in order to watch it. Had I seen this movie rerun on HBO in 1986, I might have enjoyed it a lot more than I did upon first viewing two days ago. I give it a C.
November 10, 2010
A vain teen comedy film.
½ June 28, 2010
A little teen movie obscurity of the 1980's written by Cameron Crowe. It's basically a Fast Times rip off but features a great cast playing mostly interesting characters.