Witness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Witness Reviews

January 25, 2016
Brilliant. Harrison Ford, Patti LuPone, Danny Glover, and Kelly McGillis are superb.The score is mesmerizing, and the cinematography of Lancaster, PA is stunning.
½ December 13, 2015
Although Witness had an intriguing story, tense pacing and some exhilarating action, it didn't add anything original to the corrupt cop genre or cause as much trouble as it could've in its reserved, Amish setiting.
December 12, 2015
"Witness" is a delightful dramatic film and an excellent thriller, despite not being an action-driven film. What it lacks in flash, it makes up for with undeniable charm. It gives us a significant look at Harrison Ford and his acting abilities from a different point of view. Outside of the Star Wars and Indiana Jones films, "Witness" is one of the action star's best films.
½ November 22, 2015
A solid, surprisingly sexy crime thriller mashed with romantic drama. Beyond the inclusion of the Amish community it's nothing you haven't seen before; but fun nonetheless.
½ November 18, 2015
The strangest thing to me about this movie is that it made it onto AFI's 100 Passions list. The relationship between Rachel and John is certainly interesting, but is it one of the best romantic stories in film in the last hundred years?
November 14, 2015
If you want to know about the life of Amish people, this is it. Peter Weir turns an ordinary thriller into one of his best, with Harrison Ford's one-and-only Oscar nominated performance, and Maurice Jarre's perfect score.
November 12, 2015
This is another 80's gem I'd never seen in its entirety. Harrison Ford was in the prime of his career and Kelly McGillis shows her tatas. They're not really that impressive but kudos to her for showing them anyway. Pretty solid movie really and it's fun to see a pre-Lethal Weapon Danny Glover as a bad guy.
½ October 29, 2015
I read a review of "The Babadook," comparing Noah Wiseman's character to the child actor from his film. Many similarities (maybe his agent even made him watch this?) and I have to give credit where due: this film seems very progressive for 1985, as far as modeling cultural tolerance, and flipping the script 3/4 through to show how when- acting as tourists--we gawk and condescend to outside groups we perceive as strange-- we are the ones who appear ridiculous.
½ September 2, 2015
Witness's genre mix of thriller and drama is definitely original and even audacious even if at times it doesn't quite work. But it is still such a well crafted story, for once meaningful and smart, having both romance and drama, but still having terrific thriller elements, especially in the pulse-pounding and so memorable beginning. It is a thrilling, but emotional film that also has something to say. It is incredibly well executed, well directed, well acted, but above all well paced and riveting from start to finish. It is one of the best 1980s thrillers without a doubt.
August 30, 2015
Un polar chez les Amish avec Harrison Ford qui marche plutot bien.
August 29, 2015
So bad ... its funny ... except that it isn't ... riddled with really bad stereotypes and cliches. .. I can't help wondering that even in the 1980s this movie would be considered to be horribly racist and a prejudiced misrepresentation of the Amish, law inforcement, women and so on. Decent performances/acting from lead actors ... but a squimishly bad, bad, bad script.
August 23, 2015
This is a solid movie, well-acted and suspenseful. As a student of religion, I am skeptical of the film critique of the amish sect, but it is generally an excellent movie.
August 22, 2015
gr8 cast good thriller
½ August 20, 2015
As much as I love Harrison Ford, I truly think this film doesn't really live up to all the praise it seems to be getting today. At first viewing,I thought it was an interesting way of conveying the theme, but I think I was more latched on to the idea of Ford living and learning from the Amish than the actual film. It felt almost as if it was made for the not-so-subtle anti-violence message and for the "Look, Harrison Ford is in our movie" claim. I don't really see that much else, but overall, it was "okay".
July 29, 2015
Witness is an entertaining and highly effective drama thriller with a great performance by Harrison Ford!
July 8, 2015
Witness is an interesting and very well made film. The performances, especially by Harrison Ford, are great. The movie has some very intense and well shot scenes of excellent filmmaking. The writing, direction, and characters are all very impressive. The story starts out very engaging, then loses itself a bit towards the second act with a love story subplot becoming the main focus instead of the protection of this young boy. It doesn't feel forced but rather unnecessarily becomes the movie's main focus. Once the finale hits its back to the suspense and thrills promised in the beginning. The end is satisfying and memorable. Overall Witness is a great movie with an engaging story that does lose its way a little with some pacing issues but doesn't keep this from being the great film it is. Witness gets 4/5 stars (A-).
June 24, 2015
A romance story set in Amish country-I lived in lancaster county for 6 years-how could I not like it. I did enjoy how they portrayed the Amish and could relate to a lot of what they showed. I enjoyed the romance story a lot. The cop story was decent and the ending was dramatic but it was more the backdrop to the cultural love story. Harrison adds charm and likability to his character and I really liked him in this role as well as kelly mcgillis. The little boy was really cute. Some beautiful cinematography of lancaster as I remember it.
½ June 14, 2015
good flick. obviously inspired kingpin a bit (or at least i felt that way). too long, though. too much "just look at how these amish live!" moments. nice thriller otherwise.
June 4, 2015
This movie may have been well received in the mid 80's but unfortunately it doesn't hold up to well. It's a very slow paced and uneventful movie, that being said it's not necessarily a bad movie. The movie follows the seemingly pointless hiding in an Amish community of a detective (Harrison Ford) who is investigating a murder witnessed by a young boy from the community. During his stay Ford falls for the mother of the child (Kelly McGillis) which serves no more purpose then to give us a god awful dance scene and inevitable forbidden love scenario, the one good thing to come out of this arrangement is the obligatory 80's tit shot. The films 3rd act is no better or worse then the proceeding two before it, winding down with two murders and a stern talking to as it's climax this movie leaves you with a feeling of mediocre satisfaction because while the plot and script are paper thin the acting is quite good.

Featured on episode 57 of The Emerald Reprobates Podcast.
May 8, 2015
Wow, that was an intense date night movie on Netflix.