A Woman's Face - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Woman's Face Reviews

½ September 3, 2008
I've seen this twice recently & could watch it again. A young Joan Crawford nails this performance as Anna Holm, whose transformation we observe as it unfolds. Forget what you've heard about Joan Crawford. Watch her early movies with expectation & enjoyment. This story is well written (was a French play) & holds up to any so-called modern scriptwriting in Hollywood. Excellent. Bravo, Queen Joan!
½ August 6, 2008
I should have left this movie at the tag line and poster. Not really what I expected at all.
June 6, 2008
A surprisingly sombre film from the latter part of Joan Crawford's MGM years directed by one of her favourite directors George Cukor. In fact it's based on a Swedish film from 3 years earlier, one of Ingrid Bergman's last films before her move to America.

Crawford gives one of her most nuanced performances as Anna, bitter at life after half her face is scarred in a fire as a child. Running a blackmail ring she targets a society woman cheating on her husband. Anna goes to the wife's house to confront her but the husband returns home unexpectedly. He turns out to be a plastic surgeon and persuades Anna to let him operate on her.

The operation a success, Anna now finds herself at the mercy of her creepy lover. He wants his family's fortune but a young nephew stands between him and the money. He gets Anna the job as the little boy's nanny with a view to the boy meeting with an 'accident'.

Anna's disenchantment with her lover is compounded by the surgeon arriving at the family home for a visit...

Joan is excellent as Anna, capturing her anger at life but also her tremulous feeling of happiness when the man who will become her dominant lover shows her affection and later her despair when she realizes what her love for this man is driving her to do.

She is helped by Cukor's excellent handling of the story and a cast which boasts excellent performances from Conrad Veidt as the crypto-fascist lover, Melvyn Douglas as the surgeon, Marjorie Main as the suspicious housekeeper of Veidt's family and Osa Massen as the surgeon's flighty wife. There are also scene-stealing roles from Donald Meek, Reginald Owen and Connie Gilchrist as Anna's seedy fellow-blackmailers.

Definitely one to seek out.
½ June 6, 2008
Not as good as the original Swedish film with Ingrid Bergman.
May 29, 2008
One of Joan and Cukor's greatest works ever!!!!
April 25, 2008
This film was a completely unexpected experience for me, but Joan Crawford just gave a tremendous performance, one of her very best.
½ April 7, 2008
It takes awhile to get into it, but once it kicked into gear I really dug it. And this concludes the run of Joan Crawford movies currently on my Tivo...!
March 30, 2008
Really great Joan Crawford movie, but it's a bit underrated.
½ March 24, 2008
One of Crawford's sadly under-appreciated films. I thought it was quite good - the story ropes you in from the get-go, and the acting by the principles was captivating.
½ March 14, 2008
Rather obscure and difficult to track down (though TCM may play it once in a while), this is the best work I've seen from Joan Crawford. A wonderful and off-beat "woman's picture" that ought to be on DVD.
March 6, 2008
One of Crawford's best. A great psychological drama with a wonderful supporting cast of Melvyn Douglas & Conrad Veidt. Check it out if you get the chance.
½ January 7, 2008
This movie was great! I haven't seen much with Joan Crawford but know her well from "NO MORE WIRE HANGERS!" I was surprised a delighted by the lack of melodrama in the film. A fun movie that keeps a good pace.
November 19, 2007
Watchable Crawford film. Joan's mildly disfigured face turns her into a misanthrope and blackmailer. Once her face is fixed, she tries to leave that life behind, but not if Conrad Veidt has anything to say about it.
½ March 27, 2006
One of Joan Crawford's best pre-Mildred pierce performances. Interesting story, wonderfully photographed. Great score. The film has a wonderful supporting cast. Great classic melodrama.