The Wrong Man Reviews

• May 07, 2019

The best thrilling movie ever made!

The best thrilling movie ever made!

• Jan 27, 2019

Fan of Hitchcock and a fan of Fonda, but for me, this might be the most overrated film in Hitchcock's oeuvre. I felt no investment in any of the characters, including Fonda's, who spent the entirety of the film with a look of incredulity on his face and no believable character arc. Cinematography was substandard for a Hitchcock film of this era. Pacing was dreadful. Perhaps worst of all, it strains the limits of willing suspension of disbelief despite being based on a 'true' story.

• Nov 20, 2018

Hitchcock changes his usual style to make this incredibly hard hitting and true to life depiction of how wrongful accusations destroy your life. Made with Hitchcock's genius skill but also with historical accuracy of highest standards in this real life story. Fonda is perfect as the innocent man hit with injustice.

• Sep 18, 2018

The first 45 minutes of The Wrong Man really stressed me out. I kept putting myself in the shoes of the protagonist and wondering what I would do. After that, however, I felt like this movie lost its way, and started to wander before finally reaching the conclusion. It's a good film, but it's not one of Hitchcock's greats.

• Feb 24, 2018

Hitchock's first true-story film isn't always narratively even, but it's made up for with realistic dialogue, a solid cast, and meaningful direction.

• Oct 15, 2017

One of Hitch's more underrated films.

One of Hitch's more underrated films.

• Aug 28, 2017

Alfred Hitchcock directed 1950s film noir thriller based on actual events rather than the escapism thrillers so often associated with Hitchcock. The film is one of his last shot in black and white and uses actual New York City location photography. The screenplay concerns a jazz musician Manny Balestero (Henry Fonda) wrongly accused of holding up an insurance office. The film is almost like a documentary due to its true events. Fonda plays Balestero with a bewildered look throughout. I mean his world is literally falling down around him. A musician, happily married with two young sons.. The procedure of Balestero's ridiculous arrest at the police station, indictment and trial are excellently conveyed by Hitchcock. The best acting in the film probably goes to Vera Miles as Balestero's psychologically effected wife Rose who actually suffers a breakdown and ends up being treated for two years in a mental institution. Hitchcock conveys the indignity and shock of the whole process. The black and white images probably adding to the gloom. Little known and underrated Hitchcock film if I am being honest. I found it as entertaining as his more well known thrillers I have watched. The cameo that Hitchcock usually makes in his films is sensibly omitted as the great director delivers a prologue at the beginning explaining the outline of the true life events.

• Aug 24, 2017

Hitchcock doesn't impress me with this movie. Part courtroom drama, part family crisis, it just wasn't suspenseful like his other movies. A letdown for me.

• Aug 03, 2017

Sluggish, faint and almost unremarkable, but it is an easy watch and you can feel for Fonda.

• Jul 28, 2017

9.5 out of 10: Gritty, tragic, well directed, great performances, and a fantastic score makes The Wrong Man an underrated film noir.