The Yearling - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Yearling Reviews

August 24, 2016
The Yearling is way too long with a very odd structure, but it is so moving and with such a heartbreaking ending. The film benefits from an awesome score as well as the lush scenery and it is thematically rich with the mother's character being fascinating. It's a wonderful family flick.
½ July 8, 2016
He ain't a yearling no longer.

A poor farming family has an adventurous and imaginative boy who one days finds an abandoned fawn that needs to be nursed back to health. The mother has some hesitancy, but the father feels it will help the boy have a friend and companion. They take the fawn in and as poverty hits the family, tough situations and decisions present themselves.

"I want that there dog."

Clarence Brown, director of National Velvet, Anna Karenina (1935), Intruder in the Dust, Angels in the Outfield, The Eagle, A Free Soul, and Wonder of Women, delivers The Yearling. The storyline for this picture is entertaining and unfolds well in a Where the Red Fern Grows kind of way. The acting is out of this world good and the cast includes Gregory Peck, Jayne Wyman, Claude Jarman, Clem Bevans, Forrest Tucker, and Henry Travers.

"Does a man got to die to find peace?"

I came across this Gregory Peck classic on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and had to DVR it. I really enjoyed this movie. This wasn't an all-time great Peck or classic genre film, but it does deliver the family genre elements that were so prevalent during this era to perfection. I really enjoyed this movie, but I wouldn't add it to my classic genre collection.

"Clouds are really just the backs of angels."

Grade: B-
October 21, 2015
This movie is called a family film, granted it was a really moving movie but it scared me for life. It and Ol Yeller. I guess if you are not a kid it is a great "family film" but I tell you my experience at probably 8-9 years old was extremely disturbing. I would never show it to a child that I cared about.
February 8, 2015
Not only a fine adaptation of the pulitzer prized best selling novel, but one of the truly great family and coming of age films of all time with memorable performances by Peck and Wyman. Part of the mythos of America.
½ June 2, 2014
A bit on the barfy side. A young man decides to raise a deer and becomes a man. Let's forget about this one, shall we?
April 22, 2014
There is too much beauty in it. From my point of view this movie has been undersestimated over the years. It has top performances and top direction. Clarence Brown didn't make only a MGM family movie, he made a real masterpiece,and maybe, a new kind of film. This is a real classic and one of the best movies ever made, not only in the United States, but in the history of film. A complete movie.
December 17, 2013
My favorite movie ever!!!
½ September 3, 2013
A great movie and worth watching at least once especially to see the famous heartbreaking ending.
½ August 5, 2013
In contrast to Frank Capra's divine optimism, cruelly tears the shield of children and exposes them under hard reality. But maturity is one takes to survive. Besides the great performance from the leading cast, including Gregory Peck and Jane Wyman, the beautiful countryside and the adorable animals are enough to leave you purring.
July 24, 2013
A twee family movie about the struggle to make a better life. The Americans seemed to revel in this type of movie just after the war.
½ January 5, 2013
a classic country tale. one of my favorite movies. seen it multiple times....wish i was living that life....
December 28, 2012
still the best version of this skip the 1994 remake.
½ April 13, 2012
good but sad Y do they have to kill the deer?
½ March 28, 2012
A classic family movie that makes you relive your childhood moments. The Yearling is a taste to young viewers of what love is really about. It sets up the story nicely, and in the end leaves the audience heartbroken. A good movie to show your kids when their 8 or 10.
March 23, 2012
Great adaptation of a classic American novel. A little overdramatic in parts, but well worth your time.
October 15, 2011
how the heck can you rate a movie youve never seen wazz up how come i cant watch the dang movie
July 28, 2011
I heard the ending was very, very sad, so I think I know what's gonna happen. Still worth a watch though.
July 3, 2011
½ July 2, 2011
Classic and heart-warming. Can't complain about life after watching this.