The Yearling Reviews

• Apr 28, 2019

The best movie ever made!

The best movie ever made!

• Feb 11, 2019

'Tis fine, powerful fine! Heavier than I expected, but Gregory Peck gives one of his finest performances in this stellar coming-of-age drama. (First and only viewing - 2/3/2019)

• Apr 15, 2018

While it has many symptoms of Old Movie Syndrome, it's good for the time. It is thoughtful and I imagine the source material is worth a read. 7.1 out o 10

• Dec 03, 2017

Wow. This movie was terrible. Other than Gregory Peck, (who somehow manages to appear complex and make the corny cowboy dialog bearable) and Henry Travers (who appears briefly) the acting is worse than ridiculous. The film seemed to want to portray the mother, Orna, as a complicated character who was grieving, but she came across as flaky, erratic and dimwitted, almost to the point of being developmentally challenged, rather than deep. The whole movie is filled with cheap, unimaginative, cinematic cliches (like the boy/fawn frolicking scenes with fake cloud backdrops.) The dialog is painfully bad, with all the characters using some sort of silly spaghetti western-like dialect. Except for the acting of Peck and Henry Travers and the use of a real deer (which must have been difficult and I give them credit for it) this movie was a real disappointment.

• Aug 24, 2016

The Yearling is way too long with a very odd structure, but it is so moving and with such a heartbreaking ending. The film benefits from an awesome score as well as the lush scenery and it is thematically rich with the mother's character being fascinating. It's a wonderful family flick.

• Jul 08, 2016

He ain't a yearling no longer. A poor farming family has an adventurous and imaginative boy who one days finds an abandoned fawn that needs to be nursed back to health. The mother has some hesitancy, but the father feels it will help the boy have a friend and companion. They take the fawn in and as poverty hits the family, tough situations and decisions present themselves. "I want that there dog." Clarence Brown, director of National Velvet, Anna Karenina (1935), Intruder in the Dust, Angels in the Outfield, The Eagle, A Free Soul, and Wonder of Women, delivers The Yearling. The storyline for this picture is entertaining and unfolds well in a Where the Red Fern Grows kind of way. The acting is out of this world good and the cast includes Gregory Peck, Jayne Wyman, Claude Jarman, Clem Bevans, Forrest Tucker, and Henry Travers. "Does a man got to die to find peace?" I came across this Gregory Peck classic on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and had to DVR it. I really enjoyed this movie. This wasn't an all-time great Peck or classic genre film, but it does deliver the family genre elements that were so prevalent during this era to perfection. I really enjoyed this movie, but I wouldn't add it to my classic genre collection. "Clouds are really just the backs of angels." Grade: B-

• Feb 08, 2015

Not only a fine adaptation of the pulitzer prized best selling novel, but one of the truly great family and coming of age films of all time with memorable performances by Peck and Wyman. Part of the mythos of America.

John B Super Reviewer
    Jun 02, 2014

A bit on the barfy side. A young man decides to raise a deer and becomes a man. Let's forget about this one, shall we?

• Dec 17, 2013

My favorite movie ever!!!

My favorite movie ever!!!

• Sep 03, 2013

A great movie and worth watching at least once especially to see the famous heartbreaking ending.