The Zodiac Killer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Zodiac Killer Reviews

½ November 23, 2016
Faithful to some of the real life events, but lacking otherwise. More of a curiosity piece than anything.
October 15, 2016
Filmed while the Zodiac killings were still happening, this film is really more a low-budget grindhouse exploitation piece than it is a serious look at the killer or trying to be fact based. But even on an exploitation film level, this movie failed to grab my interest or offer anything of value other than ironic enjoyment of so-bad-it's-good. Apparently the filmmakers screened the film in San Francisco and gave the audience comment cards, which they hoped would lure out the real Zodiac Killer and that they could figure out who it was based on the comment cards, though I'm guessing that was more of a William Castle-style publicity stunt.
½ October 5, 2016
This film about the Zodiac Killer was made in order to actually catch the killer. San Francisco pizza restaurant owner Tom Hanson made this highly fictionalized account of the killing spree and rented the Golden Gate Theater to debut the film. There was a contest to win a Kawasaki motorcycle to the best answer to the question "I believe the Zodiac kills because ..." Hanson was convinced that the real Zodiac killer would come and enter the contest. He had handwriting experts there to identify the Zodiac and nab him.

As I'm sure you guessed, they didn't catch him. The movie is ... interesting. It offers it's own theory about who the Zodiac was, dramatizing most of the crimes in detail. A ton of stuff is totally made up, but it manages to entertain ... quite a lot at times, but often not in the way it intends to. The 4K transfer of this film produced by the American Genre Film Archive looks amazing, especially for a 16mm film blown up to 35.
½ September 25, 2013
I wasn't living in the Bay Area during these Killings. Very Scary Movie. I had forgotten was a Horrible Serial Killer this
½ August 19, 2010
this film is pretty good not great but good decent plot and acting 7\10
May 15, 2009
A fabulous combination of grindhouse junk with headline-grabbing subject matter, The Zodiac Killer takes the infamous unsolved case that gripped California and runs with it down-and-dirty style. Along the way it gives exploitation fans the best of both worlds: laugh-out-loud sleaze and some genuine creepy feelings too.

Hal Reed gives his career performance (I think he acted in two movies total) as the Zodiac, a good-looking young postman with a genuine love for bunnies and a sociopathic hatred for people, the latter of which he keeps hidden beneath a gentle, self-effacing guise. But, as he deftly narrates at the beginning and end of the tale: he could be anyone you know, there are more like him out there, and the only reason you are still alive is that you've been lucky...so far!

Along his path to infamy Zodiac encounters some great characters, most notably Grover, who temporarily steals his thunder as the funniest, meanest "bald headed bastard" ever to don a wig and a green suit and schmooze the ladies. Grover is your typical swinger, ever on the look-out for the "easy piece" of tail; unfortunately he has a Napoleonic temper, carries a gun, and wears his wig too loose--a recipe for disaster. We lose Grover too soon, but around that time Zodiac gets his freak on the asexual serial killer way--moving from guns to knives to jumping up and down on the hood of a car while crushing the little old lady trapped under the hood. I don't remember that last one in the Zodiac files, but hey, he was never caught so who knows what the hell all he did.

Zodiac gets some great speeches, from the skin-crawling opening narration, to his sermon at his basement altar as he speaks to the souls of his slaves. Reed also does a very good job in a beach campfire scene with a couple he's lured, where he moves from his kind and gentle character, to one that grins and laughs at all the wrong moments as he toys with them.

The Zodiac Killer should be a winner for fans of 'seventies exploitation. While it moves at a slow pace, it offers plenty of unintentional laughs, un-PC dialogue and a stand-out main character not above wearing the big nose & glasses disguise a la Groucho Marx, not afraid to cry, and not afraid to believe that Atlantis is coming back someday.
May 5, 2009
Add a review (optional)...
March 30, 2009
Very low-budget obscure film with muffled sound and very slow pace. And a strange guy who cried and talked to his rabbit after he died. Awful direction with no sense of suspense at all. The strange guy is a loner who is very emotional, and I suspect could have at one point been hospitalized in a psychiatric hospital. He doesn't seem like a very intelligent man, and whether he's the Zodiac or not, I didn't care to find out, but it would have been implausible for a guy with his intelligence to be the Zodiac. This is so badly directed, that I removed the DVD after about 35 mins.
July 16, 2008
True story is allways true story. 5 because this form was new for me, and even case is a egocentric murder, it fascinates me!
March 10, 2008
A different path than the one David Fincher has just tread. For two main reasons. 1. Being this was made in 1971 and at the time the Zodiac Killer in question was just 'honing' in on his cryptic skills making the production time limited to providing anything more than 'hear say' facts. While 2, in its grainy colour bleached film stock it doesnt pretend to be anything else other than an Exploitation film. A perfect example of cashing in on it's own audiences fear! Remaining a good definition of the Exploitation genre
Why watch it? In the final twenty minutes, after a murder scene involving a car bonnet and an old ladies head, we are treated to a sudden burst of gratuitous violence that while outrageous are also unintentionally comic moments of depraved genius that is well worth the wait.
As you might have guessed this film also contains more red herrings (be those ludicrously silly) than there are in the North Sea!
October 1, 2007
Not a very good movie, but not as tasteless as a it could of been. Which might be a bad thing in this ones case. Filmed when the actual murders were happening, it could of been a lot more exploitative which sadly would of made it a more interesting film. As it is, it's kind of a piss poor who done it.
August 30, 2007
lived in my hometown
August 11, 2007
kinda confusing though...
½ May 28, 2007
This one own the remake.
May 19, 2007
After seeing the current version of this tale, this would be a brilliant watch especially since it was released during the killing spree...
January 29, 2007