The Thief of Bagdad Reviews

• Dec 08, 2019

Full movie and review on max4movies.blog: Based in part on the classic story collection Arabian Nights, The Thief of Bagdad centers around a young thief living in the streets of Bagdad. As the wants to marry the princess, he travels to fantastical places to find a magical box that grants wishes. The movie is a stunning example of an adventure epic from the silent era that mostly still holds up today. Technically groundbreaking at the time, some practical effect may seem mediocre at best, by 2019 standards. However, the stellar performance of Fairbanks, the great stunt work, and the marvelous orchestral soundtrack make the movie impressively entertaining and easy to watch, giving its hefty runtime.

• Jan 15, 2018

1001 movies to see before you die.

1001 movies to see before you die.

• Mar 18, 2017

finally saw on pbs tv 3-2017. Amazing for 1924, yr Dad was born. And the music (Sheherazad?) added a lot to it. The reviewers praises below sum up my response. They built some great sets for this. Great.

• Marcus W Super Reviewer
    May 15, 2016

Wonderful fantasy adventure that was way ahead of its time.

Wonderful fantasy adventure that was way ahead of its time.

• Feb 18, 2016

For a 1920's film, the effects are the one thing that make this film stand out. I'm not sure if inhabitants of Baghdad really were made up of very western looking geezers in baggy trousers and a few chinese ladies in 1924 though. This is probably the longest silent film I've seen and it was hard work. I guess that there are a lot worse though.

• Feb 20, 2015

Who says you need words to tell a story. I really like how expressive all the characters are. While the theme is blatantly stated at the beginning and end of the film by writing it in the stars, it is a unique theme. It's an epic adventure with lots of grand locations and magic. It can come off as pulpy at times, but that's part of the magic. Lots of charm and good fun.

• Jan 20, 2015

Great old movie. Still has charm so many years later.

Great old movie. Still has charm so many years later.

• Jan 19, 2015

The stunts are quite impressive, and I laughed more than I have during many modern comedies.

• Jan 04, 2015

Groundbreaking in its very brisk pace and high amount of action sequences for better and for worse, the Thief of Bagdad also has astonishing special effects, incredibly advanced for its time. Magic carpet, flying horse and many monsters are all present here and most of them seem realistic and are brought to life in a believable fashion. Although it has too much action near the end and the character development could have been better, this movie is nevertheless a powerful one with very engaging and always captivating story, some artistic shots including the ending and remarkable effects and visual style. Almost all fantasy and adventure films owe something to this movie which is why it is such a classic and one of the fine masterpieces of the silent era.

• Nov 11, 2014

A fun film and while the special effects may seem corny now I can imagine someone in 1924 being amazed at what they were seeing.