Carmen (Bizet's Carmen ) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carmen (Bizet's Carmen ) Reviews

July 29, 2012
An accessible opera. With this, I understand the hyperbole hyperventilating operatic critics throw at singers who can't act but move with their voice.
May 19, 2012
I have always struggled to get into opera, but I really like Carmen because the characters are more earthy and real. I like a lot of the music, too, especially the intermezzo before Act 3. Habanera and any of the chorus-led songs are great as well. If you are looking to become interested in opera, this film is a good place to start because it's visually very pleasing and you will realise opera doesn't have to be as stuffy as some people make it out to be.
January 21, 2012
An opulent and enthralling screen version of Bizet's celebrated opera.
November 6, 2011
A painstakingly historically-informed film adaptation of a most popular French opera, right down to its mountainous Spanish locations. While Placido Domingo is the bigger name, Julia Migenes sizzles as Carmen, bringing a hotness factor to the role that has yet to be matched almost 30 years later.
½ March 6, 2011
Watched the re-run in the film festival few years back. Shameful me, I was totally fell into sleep...
December 11, 2010
Bizet's masterpiece comes to life! The drama and the tragic downfall of a soldier by a seductive and ruthless Gypsy is a classic by all means. The flamboyant matador Escamillo who is a legend in Granada makes a play for Carmen despite her fickleness and this leads to tragedy.The ever popular Toreador aria is sung to perfection and the acting makes the story even more dramatic. The bullfight footage made the prelude come to life. I recommend this movie with five big stars!
½ July 10, 2010
Handsome adaptation of Bizet's opera, with lovely music and committed performers. The editing (which cuts when) and (lack of) subtitles are sometimes problematic.
½ August 30, 2009
What can I's a classic!
February 26, 2009
nominated for best foreign film at the golden globes
½ September 12, 2008
Initially ill-received but today one of the most popular operas of all time, Georges Bizet's CARMEN is a four-act long tragedy of a free-willed (and some might say devilish) gypsy who seduces an unfortunate corporal down a path of self-destruction. As an opera, it is a masterpiece, but on film it is even more phenomenal, especially as directed by Francesco Rosi. This big-screen adaptation was shot entirely on location at Spain, providing for some impressive photography and skillfully executed crowd sequences. Of course, Bizet's score is the centerpiece of the whole movie, which is brilliantly underscored by the National French Orchestra (under the direction of Lorin Maazel) and sung by the likes of Julia Migenes-Johnson (who underwent a lot of self-training prior to her performance), Placido Domingo, Ruggero Raimondi, and Faith Esham, all of who also provide compelling performances. It's a fairly long movie, clocking in at about 2 and a half hours, but when one is engrossed in the whole affair, it is easy to forget the occasionally slow moments.
July 31, 2008
this movie is really great!
July 26, 2008
not really interested
½ June 20, 2008
Foreign. Spanish. Good movie; great music. Needed better film quality, other than that, was good. Classic opera.
June 18, 2008
This was the first production of Carmen I ever saw. V. good!!
½ May 12, 2008
The music is amazing but as a film I don't think it quite had the same majesty a theatrical production would have of the same opera. The music blew me away but the film did not.
½ March 5, 2008
My favourite opera's adaptation... A quality that touched me ! Once the Opera is not boring and give much more...
Enjoy also the general Pictures quality.
February 13, 2008
One of the better movie adaptions of an opera. The movie subtitles and sound can be better, but the music is irresistable. Placido Domingo and Julia Migenes-Johsnson are great in the leading roles.
½ January 13, 2008
A very enjoyable opera classic.
January 6, 2008
"Sublime! Encore! Encore!" hahaha...
December 29, 2007
An enjoyable, easy to follow, film adaptation of the opera classic. If opera is not really your cup of tea, this is as good as any as a starter.