My Blue Heaven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Blue Heaven Reviews

May 16, 2018
Fantastic movie. Funny, engaging and the acting was superb.
½ January 22, 2018
I could barely get onboard this modern fairy tale turned sitcom, with a story and cast that should've easily worked, but doesn't. More of an oddity than a failure.
January 17, 2018
Life in the witness protection program for a loud-mouthed ex-mafia informant (Steve Martin) and his boring, buttoned-up FBI minder (Rick Moranis). Strangely, this serves as a counterpoint of sorts to Martin Scorsese's epic Goodfellas, and not just in the similar topic and release window. Both were actually based on the life of the same man, mobster turned stool pigeon Henry Hill, although My Blue Heaven takes some artistic license in casting him as a plucky, golden-hearted screwball. Yet, despite Martin's best efforts to be the loudest man in the room (he's certainly the loudest dressed) there's very little to see here. We watch him bristle at the prospect of a subdued retirement away from the bright lights, toy with the idea of starting his own operation in town, tease the local cops and... nothing. No growth, no conflict, no excitement. Even when he's literally under fire from spurned former conspirators, there's no tension in the air. It just feels like bad slapstick. Vacant and dull, pointless and meaningless, it's offensive in the lengths it takes to be inoffensive. I'm not sure why I did this to myself.
November 26, 2017
Fresh with a hint of NYC
½ October 1, 2017
The nonchalant, aloof protagonist played by Steve Martin is just very funny and makes this film seem like a forgotten gem.
½ May 31, 2017
I wish I could watch just one of his movies and not think, "Man, I miss Rick Moranis." This is one of those late-century middle-of-the-road comedies that isn't quite forgotten, but is far from being a certified classic. However, it's an odd-couple good-time with confident humor and silly performances that are as bright as its plastic setting. And I could watch Bill Irwin's gangly dancing forever.
March 2, 2017
Steve Martin as a street smart New York Eye-taliano mob guy let loose in super straight suburban whitebread America. Hilarity ensues. It's not as good as it should be, but it'll still do. Fuhgetaboutit. One of my guilty pleasures.
½ February 19, 2017
I need to see this movie about once a year. It is really one of Steve Martin's most underrated role.
½ January 25, 2017
This film is getting outdated but is still standing. It is pre-Soprano, when mobsters were still viewed as the cool guys, while the reality is so different. Basically, the cops here don't have any smarts and especially not street smarts, while the mobsters have all and can show them in a very friendly manner. The cop in Sopranos suicided after he realised he was informing a mobster and the house with the nice free-spirited women were just a whorehouse all on the mobster tab! Lovely mobsters don't exists, they are rather dangerous psychopaths and their loveliness is their smokescreen. Some scenes are stealing the show though, like the dancing lesson that finishes with a shooting. That is why the film is still standing and get one half star more than it would otherwise.
½ January 25, 2017
December 30, 2016
Ok movie. Despite a premise ripe with opportunities for smart humor, the end result of this film is a handful of funny moments and an only halfway-decent performance from Martin, who can't seem to decide on whether or not to go with the stereotypical mafia accent or stick to his natural voice.
December 20, 2016
Talking about people I miss seeing in movies, Rick Moranis is one of those that I also miss. I saw Honey, I Shrunk the Kids about 10,000 times when I was a little kid. But, at the very least in Moranis' case, he had a self-imposed hiatus from acting in order to raise his children after his wife passed away. So, as much as I miss him, he gets a lot of respect from me for, really, giving away a career that made him a millionaire in order to do what was right for his family. It takes a real man to do that, so I've got nothing but respect for him. And, really, I've always loved Steve Martin as well, so this was a movie that I really needed to see. Well, not really needed to see. Nobody ever really needs to see a movie, but I definitely wanted to, just to see what these two could do together. You know, the weird thing about this movie, is that it's based on the book Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi. If you're familiar with this, then you know that Wiseguy was developed into GoodFellas, a masterpiece of crime cinema and just cinema in general. And both movies were released in 1990, within a month of each other actually, so that must have been quite something to see. The only difference is that this movie, obviously, is far more comical than GoodFellas. And it was actually written by Pileggi's wife. As far as the movie is concerned, I can't say that it was a great comedy. I don't think it even comes close to that, but I was certainly more than entertained by this. I'd say it was a solid movie at best and, really, nothing more than that. Rick Moranis and Steve Martin have some real good chemistry and that's what really carries the movie past its relatively basic set-up. Yes, it features an FBI agent having to deal with a former mob member, who has been put in the witness protection program, and his antics as he prepares to testify against his former boss at a trial. These antics involve stealing cars and other misdemeanors. But, really, the film is more about how Vinnie, Steve Martin, helps Barney, Moranis, come out of his shell after his wife left him for a baseball player. It's certainly a movie that you have seen before and, will more likely, see again. There's nothing really that unique about it, but that's not really the point of it all. Though if you are looking for something that's new and fresh, this certainly won't be it. If you're looking for something that's easy to digest and will entertain you, but not enthrall you, then this will do just fine. I think the main problem is the fact is that, honestly, time hasn't been kind to the film. Well, time has certainly been kinder to this film than others of its ilk. But some of the jokes in the film do fall flat. Maybe they also fell flat back in the time, so that's also very possible. But, I don't know, some of them really did miss the mark. By and large, however, the movie did keep entertained thanks to Moranis and Martin's chemistry. Is it the best comedy you will ever see? No, of course not. I enjoyed it, even if I wouldn't fully recommend it. It's not a movie that you really need to go out of your way to see. It's just if you have it available on any of your chosen streaming services, then watch it if you want something silly. You don't need to buy it or anything like that. Solid movie, so I can't really complain much.
½ December 4, 2016
Steve Martin and Rick Moranis star in Blue Heaven. Steve Martin is Vinnie Antone, a criminal who is being place in the witness protection program in a small resident area of Florida. His FBI agent is Barney Coopersmith (Moranis), who is charge of keeping him in check and ensuring that he makes it to New York City to testify.

As Vinnie lives in Florida, he must adjust to the small community and its ways. His wife instantly is unable to cope and leaves right away. He finds it difficult to get leave his criminal ways as he commits various misdemeanors and gets together with others he recognizes from the witness protection program. This various acts put officer Hannah (Joan Cusack) and Barney at odds as they argue with the jurisdiction rights and Vinnie's disposition. Barney is accused of being too boring and systematic so his wife leaves him. Through Vinnie's actions Barney learns how to drink, dance, dress better, get out of his typical patterns and gains self-confidence. With this, Barney takes this opportunity to court her Hannah. He helps Hannah gain confidence and deal with her annoying ex-husband (Daniel Stern).

My Blue Heaven has the right comedic talent, but fails to really deliver many laughs. The plots premise does not have much to go on and seems to be constantly coming up with events to occur to keep the movie going. Martin's antics are typical of his characters, but he does not have enough story to go along with it. His fast-talking New York city mobster Italian antics and desires do not have as much comedic weight as the film hopes and expects. Moranis is lovable as the typical loser he plays, but is a hard sell as an FBI agent. My Blue Heaven is one of the Steve Martin movies nobody talks about, and the reason for that is evident. Blue Heaven is a harmless comedy that can be missed even by fans of actors in the films.

-12.4.2016
July 15, 2016
7/15/2016: Pretty disappointing considering the combo of Moranis/Martin. They played their parts well, but it wasn't near as funny as I hoped.
May 24, 2016
Steve Martian is hilarious!!!!!!
December 6, 2015
Pretty good comedy that you should check out. It gets boring here and there, but other than that, it's good.
½ August 18, 2015
I very much like my blue heaven I thought steve martins portrayal a mob informant who joins the witness protection program is hysterical also rick moranis as the FBI agent responsible for him as well as joan cusack as a deputy DA trying to nail martin are good
May 2, 2015
Pendant une demi-heure, My Blue Heaven semble être une comédie plutôt efficace sur le thème rebattu du "Fish out of water" avec un Steve Martin délirant en mafioso sous protection policière et Rick Moranis en agent du FBI débordé. Les gags sont réussis, l'ambiance est bien installée et l'intrigue n'est pas encore en place. Cependant, quand elle s'y met, My Blue Heaven ralentit considérablement et manque terriblement d'autres gags plus évolués que de laisser Steve Martin faire n'importe quoi (avec grand talent). C'est vraiment dommage car l'atmosphère est toujours aussi bonne.
March 25, 2015
Much better for the stick up their butt critics than your average movie goer.
December 22, 2014
One of my favorite movies- it's so funny! I can watch it over and over again.....steve martin is hilarious