My Blue Heaven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Blue Heaven Reviews

December 30, 2016
Ok movie. Despite a premise ripe with opportunities for smart humor, the end result of this film is a handful of funny moments and an only halfway-decent performance from Martin, who can't seem to decide on whether or not to go with the stereotypical mafia accent or stick to his natural voice.
December 20, 2016
Talking about people I miss seeing in movies, Rick Moranis is one of those that I also miss. I saw Honey, I Shrunk the Kids about 10,000 times when I was a little kid. But, at the very least in Moranis' case, he had a self-imposed hiatus from acting in order to raise his children after his wife passed away. So, as much as I miss him, he gets a lot of respect from me for, really, giving away a career that made him a millionaire in order to do what was right for his family. It takes a real man to do that, so I've got nothing but respect for him. And, really, I've always loved Steve Martin as well, so this was a movie that I really needed to see. Well, not really needed to see. Nobody ever really needs to see a movie, but I definitely wanted to, just to see what these two could do together. You know, the weird thing about this movie, is that it's based on the book Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi. If you're familiar with this, then you know that Wiseguy was developed into GoodFellas, a masterpiece of crime cinema and just cinema in general. And both movies were released in 1990, within a month of each other actually, so that must have been quite something to see. The only difference is that this movie, obviously, is far more comical than GoodFellas. And it was actually written by Pileggi's wife. As far as the movie is concerned, I can't say that it was a great comedy. I don't think it even comes close to that, but I was certainly more than entertained by this. I'd say it was a solid movie at best and, really, nothing more than that. Rick Moranis and Steve Martin have some real good chemistry and that's what really carries the movie past its relatively basic set-up. Yes, it features an FBI agent having to deal with a former mob member, who has been put in the witness protection program, and his antics as he prepares to testify against his former boss at a trial. These antics involve stealing cars and other misdemeanors. But, really, the film is more about how Vinnie, Steve Martin, helps Barney, Moranis, come out of his shell after his wife left him for a baseball player. It's certainly a movie that you have seen before and, will more likely, see again. There's nothing really that unique about it, but that's not really the point of it all. Though if you are looking for something that's new and fresh, this certainly won't be it. If you're looking for something that's easy to digest and will entertain you, but not enthrall you, then this will do just fine. I think the main problem is the fact is that, honestly, time hasn't been kind to the film. Well, time has certainly been kinder to this film than others of its ilk. But some of the jokes in the film do fall flat. Maybe they also fell flat back in the time, so that's also very possible. But, I don't know, some of them really did miss the mark. By and large, however, the movie did keep entertained thanks to Moranis and Martin's chemistry. Is it the best comedy you will ever see? No, of course not. I enjoyed it, even if I wouldn't fully recommend it. It's not a movie that you really need to go out of your way to see. It's just if you have it available on any of your chosen streaming services, then watch it if you want something silly. You don't need to buy it or anything like that. Solid movie, so I can't really complain much.
½ December 4, 2016
Steve Martin and Rick Moranis star in Blue Heaven. Steve Martin is Vinnie Antone, a criminal who is being place in the witness protection program in a small resident area of Florida. His FBI agent is Barney Coopersmith (Moranis), who is charge of keeping him in check and ensuring that he makes it to New York City to testify.

As Vinnie lives in Florida, he must adjust to the small community and its ways. His wife instantly is unable to cope and leaves right away. He finds it difficult to get leave his criminal ways as he commits various misdemeanors and gets together with others he recognizes from the witness protection program. This various acts put officer Hannah (Joan Cusack) and Barney at odds as they argue with the jurisdiction rights and Vinnie's disposition. Barney is accused of being too boring and systematic so his wife leaves him. Through Vinnie's actions Barney learns how to drink, dance, dress better, get out of his typical patterns and gains self-confidence. With this, Barney takes this opportunity to court her Hannah. He helps Hannah gain confidence and deal with her annoying ex-husband (Daniel Stern).

My Blue Heaven has the right comedic talent, but fails to really deliver many laughs. The plots premise does not have much to go on and seems to be constantly coming up with events to occur to keep the movie going. Martin's antics are typical of his characters, but he does not have enough story to go along with it. His fast-talking New York city mobster Italian antics and desires do not have as much comedic weight as the film hopes and expects. Moranis is lovable as the typical loser he plays, but is a hard sell as an FBI agent. My Blue Heaven is one of the Steve Martin movies nobody talks about, and the reason for that is evident. Blue Heaven is a harmless comedy that can be missed even by fans of actors in the films.

-12.4.2016
July 15, 2016
7/15/2016: Pretty disappointing considering the combo of Moranis/Martin. They played their parts well, but it wasn't near as funny as I hoped.
May 24, 2016
Steve Martian is hilarious!!!!!!
December 6, 2015
Pretty good comedy that you should check out. It gets boring here and there, but other than that, it's good.
½ August 18, 2015
I very much like my blue heaven I thought steve martins portrayal a mob informant who joins the witness protection program is hysterical also rick moranis as the FBI agent responsible for him as well as joan cusack as a deputy DA trying to nail martin are good
May 2, 2015
Pendant une demi-heure, My Blue Heaven semble être une comédie plutôt efficace sur le thème rebattu du "Fish out of water" avec un Steve Martin délirant en mafioso sous protection policière et Rick Moranis en agent du FBI débordé. Les gags sont réussis, l'ambiance est bien installée et l'intrigue n'est pas encore en place. Cependant, quand elle s'y met, My Blue Heaven ralentit considérablement et manque terriblement d'autres gags plus évolués que de laisser Steve Martin faire n'importe quoi (avec grand talent). C'est vraiment dommage car l'atmosphère est toujours aussi bonne.
March 25, 2015
Much better for the stick up their butt critics than your average movie goer.
December 22, 2014
One of my favorite movies- it's so funny! I can watch it over and over again.....steve martin is hilarious
October 26, 2014
A classic Steve Martin movie that should be seen by every Martin fan!
August 7, 2014
(First and only viewing - 3/1/2010)
May 11, 2014
To me the only funny parts are when it's trying to be serious and sentimental. It's so cheesy! The movie drags and is so completely unbelievable that it's hard to care about what happens. The entire movie runs on cliches and tired tropes.
March 8, 2014
Vinnie Antonelli (Steve Martin) a middle-tier New York shonky type with serious gravity-defying hair who'd rather rat on his cronies than become acquainted with life in the big house. He's been spirited away to the middle of nowhere - the ultra-suburban San Diego town of Fryburg - under the care of stiff-as-a-board FBI guy Barney Coopersmith (Rick Moranis). Vinnie (or 'Tod' as he's now supposed to be known) has a hard time dealing with this enforced culture shock (unlike his wife, who just hoofs it as soon as they get there), until he starts running into many of his old buddies - it seems Fryburg's a popular place for witness relocation. Old habits seemingly die hard, and the Vinster starts getting involved in the odd dodgy caper or two, hardly lying low enough to avoid a local DA (Joan Cusack) getting on his case, leaving Barney fruitlessly trying to keep his charge in check - let alone alive enough to testify.

also stars Melanie Mayron, Carol Kane, Bill Irwin, Julie Brovasso, Jesse Bradford and Colleen Camp.

directed by Herbert Ross.
February 10, 2014
For the movie critics and other people who criticized Steve Martin for a "spoofy" portrayal of an Italian mobster.......that was the point! (hahaha) Anybody knows, if you want a "real" portrayal, you get De Niro or Pacino. This movie was meant to be cheesy and that's what makes it laugh out loud funny. I watched this movie years ago and it just made me laugh so much. The Mambo dance scenes alone are worth the cost.
February 8, 2014
Great classic film. I saw this when I was young and still enjoyed it the other day. Interesting how a mob sort of a film can contain humour. Nice cast as well.
January 17, 2014
if your into steve martin humor you might like it the story is pretty boring and predictable
October 28, 2013
Just watched this movie again for the first time since I was a kid. This flick came out when I was 10 and still holds a lot of punch! It's a great comedic pairing of Martin and the other guy, who's name escapes me. I feel like I got a lot from this character, from how to care for pants, to how to keep your wallet from getting stolen. It's weird I know, but this movie makes me feel good about life and has tons of fun moments!
October 17, 2013
Been watching it since i was a little sprout.
and even back then I found it humorous
October 8, 2013
Not horrible, but silly and kind of stupid. Steve and Rick were a pretty good pair in this.