State Fair Reviews

• Apr 16, 2019

Jeanne Crain teenager. Dana Andrews 37. Says Blobbo, kinda sick. (Music good. Technicolor good. Blobbo like carnivals.) Blobbo thumb 1/2 up, 1/2 down.

• Dec 21, 2017

When one gets sick of the crap that is put out by Hollywood these days, it's nice to get back to a film like this. It has a plot! It's well edited! It's clever! It's fun! The songs are, unsurprisingly if you know anything about Rodgers & Hammerstein, exceptional, backed up by high quality voice talent. It has such a warm, hearty, classical feel to it, and not simply due to its age. The "ultra-modern scientific farm" lament could be applied to films now. No more charm, the beautiful old home with its warmth (and carpets!) has been replaced by linoleum-in Hollywood, every room is the bathroom now. Anyone who gets a kick out of familiar people popping up may be surprised to come across a young Harry Morgan (and if you don't know who he was, shame on you). Is it quaint? Yes, on purpose, and in a good way. Are the series of positive outcomes highly implausible? Yes, but you still believe in them, and just enough tension is there to make you wonder if things really will turn out for the best (which, of course, is classic Hollywood, so it's not actually surprising). It's the kind of movie that makes you wonder why nobody seems to make anything like that anymore. Seriously, why don't we?

• Nov 23, 2016

State fair used as a backdrop to some of the Rodgers and Hammerstein music.

State fair used as a backdrop to some of the Rodgers and Hammerstein music.

• Jun 08, 2016

Our State Fair is the best State Fair in the state. Margy and Wayne are brother and sister and sick of their small town life in the middle of nowhere in Iowa. The annual state fair is in town and that is the biggest stage for excitement they get all year. They go every day of the fair and enjoy the attractions...and find new flames that really peak their interest. They find excuses to leave each other alone at the fair and see if their new flames are true love. "I just lost a pearl necklace but I'm laughing." Walter Lang, director of The King and I, Little Princess, There's No Business Like Show Business, Can-Can, Greenwich Village, Cooney Island, and Cheaper by the Dozen, delivers State Fair. The storyline for this picture is fun but predictable. The script was just okay but the characters were solid and well portrayed. The cast includes Dana Andrews, Jeanne Crain, Donald Meek, Harry Morgan, and Vivian Blaine. "Try to act intelligent." I came across this classic on Netflix some years ago and decided to add it to my wish list as a fan of these old pictures. I thought this movie was well done and I enjoyed the setting (my family, daughter, and I are huge state fair fans). Overall, this probably isn't an all-time classic but is worth viewing once. "The dream in my heart...that's for you." Grade: B-

• Apr 03, 2016

It is innocent and a little corny by today's standards, but a look at the America of the 1940s as imagined by Hollywood: idealized but not condescending in regards to the simple farm folk. It was written and produced for the screen by Rodgers & Hammerstein--this no movie version of a stage musical, though a stage version has been made. It starred Jeanne and Dana Andrews. If you are expecting another South Pacific or Sound of Music, you will be disappointed. Coming on the heels of R&H's first successful Broadway musical Oklahoma!, it features only 7 songs; however, they include "It Might As Well Be Spring" and "It's a Grand Night for Singing," two memorable tunes. Overall the plot is pretty lightweight, being about a farm family's trip to the Iowa State Fair in 1945. The two grown children played by Crain and Dick Haymes are looking for romance (!) and of course find it. Songs performed by Crain and Andrews are dubbed. It is fun to watch. Young people will probably be bewildered by the naivete and sugar-coated simplicity. Not a cuss word will be found, and not a hint of cleavage.

• Mar 04, 2016

Charming, exactly what I want in an old musical.

Charming, exactly what I want in an old musical.

• Feb 14, 2016

On the lower end of the R&H catalogue, 'State Fair' still offer fun tunes and a trip through Americana nostalgia, but a lack of stakes leave a story devoid of conflict and really, any sort of meat.

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Nov 20, 2015

There are legitimately good songs here (even a great one or two), but for the most part it's a little dull as the plot lacks any real conflict.

• Sep 06, 2015

The only musical written by Rodgers and Hammerstein for the screen is definitely no OKLAHOMA or SOUTH PACIFIC, but it's colorful and entertaining nevertheless; Score includes "It's a Grand Night for Singing" and the Oscar-winning "It Might As Well Be Spring."

• Aug 14, 2015

An incredibly endearing like able musical about a typical American living on a farm in Iowa counting down to the State Fair. Filled to the brim with cliches & well made musical numbers make this very predictable but really like able in the same way. I read before this film Jeanne Crain (Lead Actress in the Film) couldn't sing & she lip synced & when he career skyrocketed she need to have her back up singer where she performed. Very popular in Australia was shown daily for over 3 months.