The Witches - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Witches Reviews

September 12, 2016
This film is able to bring back Roald Dahl's creativity in the book. Very good film adaptation.
September 4, 2016
I have the DVD format which (no pun intended) is good but it would be nice if they could remaster a BLU RAY version.
½ July 27, 2016
The Witches manages to transcend some typical scenes in the second half and an unfortunate happy ending with a delightful performance from Anjelica Huston, absolutely terrific creatures and cinematography, wonderful and detailed storytelling, a very fascinating first act, an unforgettable witch meeting sequence and such a menacing, quite dark tone. It is just mature enough to be great for both adults and children, it is so well told and crafted and it is one of the best fantasy as well as family films of the period.
½ July 20, 2016
A fantastic performance by Huston makes this fairytale like film for kids enjoyable with brilliant special effects.
July 18, 2016
This is a classic for me, a childhood film that use to scare the crap out of me! I manage to catch this flick during the Halloween weekend and it was a pretty good re-watch, I hadn't seen it in years so it was quite a treat.

It's quite a flick for it's time and it was pretty darn hilarious to see all the scenes that use to scare me look like a joke to me now. I still like this story and it was indeed a memorable one from childhood.

I like scarier films now but this is still a classic and I guess it's one for the younger audiences. Funny, darkly and certainly an entertainer!
July 8, 2016
Still the epitome of a PG horror film. This film is terrifying to a child and even to adults. As an adaptation, it manages to be scarier than Dahl intended Except for the ending... The film does have a happy outcome whereas the book leaves off assuming Luke and his grandma will die around the same time soon after the events of the novel. Which I could see in his head was a happy ending...

The film is shot very realistically, it feels really grounded.... It isn't until the amazing work of Jim Henson's company does the dark magic of the film come alive. Let us also not forget this movie is about murdering children and it handles a child's kidnapping way too realistically for comfort.

Anyone who grew up with this film will always look for women with purple eyes.

==Earlier Post==
Perhaps the best Roald Dahl film ever. Scary for kids. This is exactly what PG horror films SHOULD be. And... MR. BEAN IS THE HOTEL OWNER!!!
July 6, 2016
Haven't seen it since middle school, curious if it's as good as I remember.
July 4, 2016
Don't know what I just watched.
½ June 3, 2016
This is the kind of kid's movie we need to start making again moving forward.
May 13, 2016
I don't understand the high rating most reviewers give this movie. It is a very simple story - witches are bad and kill little children - some kid is smart/lucky enough to kill witches.
March 10, 2016
scared the c**p outa young three kids, ended up with them in bed with me
December 12, 2015
Roald Dahl's books are practically staples in any child's life, so it's strange to see that this (a movie with babies nearly tumbling off cliffs and warped women threatening to kill every adolescent in England) was what came of one of them. Continuing in the vein of those select children's films that are too dark for small children to actually enjoy and too silly for most adults to sit through la Babe: Pig in the City, The Witches is practically made for a gay audience, its central narrative involving melodramatic witches that peel off fake skin to reveal their real, hideous forms being played by actresses giving extremely campy performances. It's light and inconsistent, but it largely works due to Angelica Houston's ridiculous german accent and its sweet temperament, a mildly amusing piece of fluff that neither stands among the best of Dahl's work nor tarnishes his legacy.
November 15, 2015
November 11, 2015
i love it i rate 5 stars
½ November 1, 2015
... 100% on the tomatometer? Really? Roald Dahl's original book = very good. Jim Henson's creature shop = great. This combo... fine. The witches were grotesquely overdone, but the story felt underdone somehow, particularly with the change to the ending.
October 31, 2015
Great story into it and wonderful imagination!!!
October 16, 2015
My Favorite Film of All Time!
October 7, 2015
Wonderful kids movie, just the right level of scary.
August 14, 2015
I think this film is probably better than the book. The acting is very good, particularly from Jasen Fisher. It is brilliantly made and I like the fact that Rowan Atkinson is in this film but he is always at his best when he plays Mr Bean. There are a few scenes that I disliked in this film, scenes that I found quite disturbing and I think one particular scene took things a bit far. But at the end of the day it's just a film, a very good film.