The Witches - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Witches Reviews

½ October 28, 2017
A load of magical whimsy that is helped by wonderful adult actors and Jim Henson's amazing practical effects, this is a more faithful Roald Dahl adaptation that thankfully doesn't demean any real-life group, but also doesn't spark many real-life connections or emotions.
½ July 9, 2017
While not containing his usual arthouse qualities, the film belongs to Roeg, who makes the proper adjustments to his style to craft a deviously entertaining film that will enthrall both adults and children.
June 26, 2017
A wicked little children's chiller. Holds up surprisingly well, with great great effects from Jim Henson. One of the better Roald Dahl adaptations, even with the cop-out ending. May be too scary for the really little ones though...
April 7, 2017
Angelina Huston is delightfully evil as the Grand High Witch. A pre-Little Voice Jane Horrocks is utterly charming as the secretary, Ms. Irvine. The real star is Jim Henson, who reminds us what art and theatrics used to mean, before CGI. His final project is a tour de force.
January 2, 2017
Zips along generally fast enough. The main witch is good when she's not in her human disguise. Quite dark in parts - classic Roald Dahl
½ December 31, 2016
A movie that still creeps me out with a wonderful performance by Angelica Huston and it's creepy satire.
½ December 5, 2016
Cliché and simple premise warped into an absurd tale about a boy-rat. Silly and disappointing Roald Dahl adaptation.
½ November 13, 2016
Roald Dahl was born 100 years ago this week, so I've decided to check out a film based on his works in his honour. I guess I was too afraid of it to see it as a child.

Someplace in Norway a granny tells her grandson about witches. The way they can smell children, the way they capture and kill them. She knows how they look and work. Luke is not only frightened but he really believes it too. When they stay at a hotel later on in the film, there are some sort of meeting there - naturally a cover for a witches meeting, and Jack and his granny get's in the middle of it.

Very good effects, impressive, actually. Cool with plenty of Norwegian stuff, too. Matches, board games, cars and even some frases. Not too long ago I saw another Roeg film and I must say I like his style of film making, something different. Quite weird, but always direct. Good stuff.

A scary film for the younger audiences. I found it funny and with it's very solid story it's watchable indeed.

7 out of 10 potions.
November 10, 2016
Loved this movie as a child! :)
September 12, 2016
This film is able to bring back Roald Dahl's creativity in the book. Very good film adaptation.
September 4, 2016
I have the DVD format which (no pun intended) is good but it would be nice if they could remaster a BLU RAY version.
½ July 27, 2016
The Witches manages to transcend some typical scenes in the second half and an unfortunate happy ending with a delightful performance from Anjelica Huston, absolutely terrific creatures and cinematography, wonderful and detailed storytelling, a very fascinating first act, an unforgettable witch meeting sequence and such a menacing, quite dark tone. It is just mature enough to be great for both adults and children, it is so well told and crafted and it is one of the best fantasy as well as family films of the period.
½ July 20, 2016
A fantastic performance by Huston makes this fairytale like film for kids enjoyable with brilliant special effects.
July 18, 2016
This is a classic for me, a childhood film that use to scare the crap out of me! I manage to catch this flick during the Halloween weekend and it was a pretty good re-watch, I hadn't seen it in years so it was quite a treat.

It's quite a flick for it's time and it was pretty darn hilarious to see all the scenes that use to scare me look like a joke to me now. I still like this story and it was indeed a memorable one from childhood.

I like scarier films now but this is still a classic and I guess it's one for the younger audiences. Funny, darkly and certainly an entertainer!
July 8, 2016
Still the epitome of a PG horror film. This film is terrifying to a child and even to adults. As an adaptation, it manages to be scarier than Dahl intended Except for the ending... The film does have a happy outcome whereas the book leaves off assuming Luke and his grandma will die around the same time soon after the events of the novel. Which I could see in his head was a happy ending...

The film is shot very realistically, it feels really grounded.... It isn't until the amazing work of Jim Henson's company does the dark magic of the film come alive. Let us also not forget this movie is about murdering children and it handles a child's kidnapping way too realistically for comfort.

Anyone who grew up with this film will always look for women with purple eyes.

==Earlier Post==
Perhaps the best Roald Dahl film ever. Scary for kids. This is exactly what PG horror films SHOULD be. And... MR. BEAN IS THE HOTEL OWNER!!!
July 6, 2016
Haven't seen it since middle school, curious if it's as good as I remember.
July 4, 2016
Don't know what I just watched.
½ June 3, 2016
This is the kind of kid's movie we need to start making again moving forward.
May 13, 2016
I don't understand the high rating most reviewers give this movie. It is a very simple story - witches are bad and kill little children - some kid is smart/lucky enough to kill witches.
March 10, 2016
scared the c**p outa young three kids, ended up with them in bed with me