Sibling Rivalry - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sibling Rivalry Reviews

½ December 14, 2016
Creative and amusing....can watch over & over
½ May 14, 2014
I remember seeing this when it came out and it was memorable-- as the worst movie I have ever seen.
½ January 19, 2014
One of the few movies to make me laugh so hard that my sides hurt. As with all black comedies, it's not for everyone, but it's certainly for me. Hilarious!
½ May 22, 2013
This isn't the greatest movie of all time, but it's a pretty funny, original, screwball comedy. It also holds some nostalgic charm for me, as it was one of the few movies I had on VHS when my husband and I first got married. I picked it up randomly at a thrift store and watched it more times than I can count. That's what happens when you don't have cable! Then a movie becomes like an old friend, one you look forward to revisiting now and then. The story is a little over the top, but everyone plays their part well. I especially love Jamie Gertz as Kirstie Alley's free-spirited sister, and Bill Pullman is just straight up bizarre! If you're looking for an Academy Award winning film that will change your life, this isn't it, but if you want to kick back to a light-hearted movie with a few laughs, you might enjoy watching it at least once.
January 8, 2013
Kirstie Alley brings to life one of her many goofy sides in the equally goofy comedy, Sibling Rivalry. A film (somewhat forgotten in recent years) which brings the term "complicated" to an entirely new dimension, most should get their fair share of laughs with it...if they can follow the challenging story!
Dark comedies tend to be "hit or miss" with many audiences. Some may find this one to be more ridiculous than they care for, but it still has its laughs, nevertheless. Alley plays Marjorie Turner, an ambitious woman unsatisfied with her marriage who decides to "experiment" with a strange older gentleman. The sex is amazing at first (especially since she and her husband have not gone that far in a long while), but then he ends up dying afterward! As if this was not ludicrous enough, she has to find out the hard way that he is actually her husband's long lost brother! And the story somehow manages to become even quirkier from there!
A dark (make that incredibly dark) comedy that most should enjoy thoroughly (more or less depending upon how sick their sense of humor is), a decent cast (especially the very watchable Alley still in her prime) gives the film even more to enjoy along with the surprisingly decent supporting half. The script's constant bizarre turns (which lead up to a somewhat predictable outcome) are fun for the most part and many viewers may realize how incredibly normal their lives are in comparison after an initial viewing. If there is one phrase to describe this film, it is "expect the unexpected!" Some may question how the film got its title as the "sibling" aspect was more of a side plot and its alternate title, Brief Fling with a Corpse caused it to be more successful in other countries.
September 19, 2012
A simple dark comedy about an woman named Marjoine (Alley), who gives her dreams to be a writer after marrying an successful doctor (Bakula). But her marriage isn't as successful as it should be. Since her husband is married to his job and his family, which they are all doctors and complete sobs. When she decide to have an brief affair with an mysterious charming man (Sam Elliott), after meeting him in a local super market. After having wild passionate sex with him, he died during or after having sex. Then she slowly realized that she was having sex with her now dead brother-in-law, a man she never meet before. Things slowly falls apart. It is a fun movie to watch with some serious moments towards the end. The cast are good but the stand-outs are Pullman is a hoot as a desperate salesman, Gertz as Marjoine's independent sister and O`Neill as Pullman's serious brother, who is a police officer. Perphas not the farce that people were expecting from director Reiner (All of Me, The Jerk, The Man with Two Brains) but he makes it entertaining and this movie is completely underrated. It is entertaining dark comedy for adults, worth seeing.
July 23, 2012
I've never seen this film. Looks super funny.
½ March 31, 2012
Haven't seen this in a long time, but it had a few laughs, nothing memorable though.
October 2, 2011
cute, but nothing memorable
September 13, 2011
Not terrible but Kirstie Alley continues to play the same shrill, neurotic mess she always plays (albeit attractive). It's just hard not to confuse her with Molly from "Look Who's Talking" and her character in "Cheers" and every other role she has ever done. The rest of the cast is solid, including Jami Gertz, Ed O'Neill and the always hot Sam Elliott. Scott Bakula is largely wasted here, though.
½ August 21, 2010
Wow, this movie wasn't aiming to be a romantic comedy (which was why I watched it), but more of a comedy with a darker edge, but it sucks nonetheless. It starts out promising, but by the time the guy's dead, it just quickly degenerates into a bland melodrama done with an implausible script. Fails to deliver dark/morbid/silly humor and slapstick, and is made more irritating by Kirstie Alley's bitchy character and the fact that nobody makes an effort to steal the movie from her. The plot is simply cliched (in a bad way), the dialogue is painful to hear, and there's nothing interesting going on. Sibling Rivalry's romance is okay, and its family of actors (except Alley) do alright (the best they could do with this crappy material), but the scenes of trying to cover up the dead guy feel awkward, out of place, and sometimes tedious. Getting hit in the crotch sounds more entertaining than watching this awful attempt at black comedy.
July 29, 2010
Early 90's sex farce which would have worked better as a black comedy rather than a romcom. To think what the Coen Brothers could have done with this....
June 24, 2010
June 24, 2010
60/100. Wacky and very entertaining comedy, filled with bizarre coincidences and situations that provide plenty of laughs. The cast is great, especially Kirstie Alley, Frances Sternhagen, Bill Pullman and Jami Gertz is great in one of her best roles. There is nothing deep here, but it's good fun.
May 2, 2010
Your mother was a STREETWALKER and a PROSTITUTE. Hawaii was not a state when you were born.

Prove your Citizenship!!!!!!!!!!
April 30, 2010
great cast! This was a pretty good comedy for its day.
March 2, 2010
A comedy of errors which is more like a modern farce without any funny moments.
½ February 6, 2010
Funny. Wow, saw this film a long time ago and watched it just recently.
February 3, 2010
Has funny parts, but overall, I just felt uncomfortable watching this.