Road House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Road House Reviews

October 13, 2015
quintessential noir; the cast is superb, the dialogue is the epitome of the era.
ms. lupino is crisp, sassy and lovable. her singing represents the essence of film noir. rough, yet irresistible.
½ July 4, 2015
a very good Drama 1948 noir with excellent acting by classic hollywood actors and Ida Lupino a pioneer for woman in Hollywood in many ways evea a director.
January 23, 2013
Behind a white piano gouged with cigarette burns, Lupino proves her mettle--Widmark Goes Psychotic Again!!
June 19, 2012
Underhållande och tät noir i vägkrogsmiljö.
½ March 17, 2011
Not bad. Bit of a twisted plot, but good fight sequence in the bar.
½ January 30, 2011
Not really a noir but a soaper with a couple of fistfights and a clever dilemma(the potential of which remains unrealized).
December 27, 2010
L'age d'or d'Hollywood. äs un des meilleurs, mais toujours très agr (C)able à regarder, avec son ses personnages ombres, sa critique de la justice, et des relations amoureuses. A r (C)server aux amateurs de films de cette (C)poque.
November 11, 2010
Road House is kind of a tough movie for me to form an opinion of. It's not really noir, kind of but not really. It takes place in this claustrophobic bar/bowling alley/lodge place and this weird love triangle thing is going on, I don't know. Ida Lupino is great as usual and her singing voice serves as a parallel for how I feel about the movie. I'm kind of put off by it initially but after the third performance I was kind of intrigued. Richard Widmark is his usual over-the-top, early performance nutjob self as the crazy spoiled heiress in a performance that kind of mirrors Lupino's in They Drive By Night. That bar fight was an absolute blast nd Celeste Holm was such a doll.
October 24, 2010
Widmark gives a fantastic performance in this movie. That's mainly why I loved it, but the story is interesting and exciting as well.
½ April 2, 2010
Ida Lupino and Richard Widmark both give delightful performances (as does Celeste Holm in a smaller role), and the third act is marvelously tense and twisted. But Cornel Wilde is a real dud, there's too much buildup (although Lupino's songs are very nice) and the script requires a bit too much suspension of disbelief (how the hell did the jury come to that verdict? why is Jefty so maniacally hung up on Lily, and what makes him think she feels the same way? and why the fuck is he still carrying around that envelope?!). I almost feel guilty that I didn't love this because Eddie Muller is so enthusiastic on the commentary, but despite its charms, the flaws are too noticeable and I don't really see myself watching it again.
½ March 9, 2010
Beautifully directed tragic love triangle story film noir...
December 7, 2009
Both Ida Lupino and Richard Widmark are great and while the rest of the main cast (Wilde and Holm) are pretty good as well, I never found myself connecting with the story all that much. Of note: Lupino REALLY does do more with no voice than I've ever heard and Widmark's creepy laughing in Kiss Of Death has got NOTHING on the cackling giggle he does in this picture.

All in all, it's a middling noir made better by a great cast.
November 26, 2009
Entertaining Film-Noir carried mostly by the always great Richard Widmark, Ida ain't too bad either.
rubystevens
½ November 25, 2009
ida is terrific, her 'singing' must be experienced to be fully appreciated and what's going on with that hairdo? but widmark steals the show as spoiled brat psycho 'jefty.' bit over the top but very enjoyable
½ September 10, 2009
Wonderfully over the top film noir, excellent performances from all the main stars. Great dialogue, a really fun to watch movie. Richard Widmark stands out.
½ September 10, 2009
February 1, 2009
Richard Widmark at his best in this one playing another psycho. This was the role that defined him for his role in Kiss of Death. Thank you Mr. Scorsese for letting me discover this hidden gem of a movie.
½ December 1, 2008
Widmark hires a past her prime lounge singer and all hell breaks lose. Good enough for me.
½ November 1, 2008
this is one of the best film noir ive ever seen. ida lupino is sexiness personified. richard widmark is fantastic! cornel wilde and celeste holm are great! road house veers on the side of romantic drama and turns into a noir int he last half hour. like many noirs, the script isnt hypercomplicated with uneccesary twists...its just good drama.
October 8, 2008
Richard Widmark always brings some style to the crazies and the lowlifes.