The Jungle Book - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Jungle Book Reviews

June 30, 2016
Always a favourite! Every black cat needs the name Bagheera!
June 28, 2016
A Walt Disney classic.
½ June 12, 2016
All you gotta do is watch the movie and understand that it's a fine kid's movie with good songs and a fun story.
May 25, 2016
It's a Disney Classic I still think. It's better then the live action version.
½ May 24, 2016
This was my very first film as a baby, and I love it even more today! This movie offers clever writing, nice animation, lovable characters, and an amazing soundtrack. If you haven't seen it yet, go watch it NOW! It is a great dedication to Walt Disney.
May 22, 2016
Fun and Upbeat, The Jungle Book is a musical charm and has that Disney Style
½ May 20, 2016
I don't know about the rest of the newer generation, but this is indeed one good Disney film. I don't feel like I've outgrown this one much compared to some others. The lush jungle scenery and music both make quite a visually stunning film, especially for its time. As a younger child, I did enjoy watching this over and over. Pretty much all the characters are instant classics with Baloo being the most lovable and the overall story is well developed (I'd almost say more well developed compared to the 2016 version of the film). A childhood classic and another well made Disney film.
May 14, 2016
My favorite as a kid. Think i was taken to the cinema 6 times to see this. Have now watched another 4 times in a fortnight. Great songs. Clever animation, and some real quality old fashion wisdom in the script.
½ May 9, 2016
So Walt told his team not to read the book. But who can resist those songs?
May 3, 2016
The film that contains some of the best character animation of all time. Disney's Nine Old Men in one of their crowning achievements. After Disney's death in 1965, the Nine Old Men had to finish this film without their beloved leader. Just that being fact, this film is an animated gem, one of the very reasons that I became an Animator. It is the embodiment of outstanding character animation. The fine subtleties in character movement shine. The brilliant Shere Kahn animated by legendary Animator Milt Kahl. The refined shoulder movement, I'm getting chills just thing about it. Bagheera's beautiful movements by legendary animator Ollie Johnston as well as Kahl... these animators hit it out of the park with the elegance of the quadruped animation this film contains. Don't even get me started on the brilliance in Mowgli's animation by again ledgendary animators Ollie Johnston and Frank Thomas.
A deserved classic... 5/5!
April 30, 2016
Amazing story, amazing voice actors, and brilliant songs as well as characters.
½ April 29, 2016
I remember watching parts of this movie when I was very little, but I've never really watched it from beginning to end until just recently. I've never really got into the animated Disney films that came out in this time period. I was always into the ones that came out around the same time as ALADDIN, THE LION KING, and BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, the ones that I grew up with. But, many people seem to really enjoy this one. And because the new live-action remake is coming out, I thought I should see it.

THE JUNGLE BOOK is pretty much what I think of most animated Disney films that came out at the time, it's just fine. I didn't feel like there was anything that stood out to make it one of the great Disney films. The plot is very basic, it centers on a boy who grows up in the jungle and his animal friends are conflicting with each other on where the boy really belongs while trying to stay away from a nasty predator. So you can pretty much get the whole idea on where the story is going. With that, there's nothing really remarkable or interesting happening. Whether the film follows the story of the book or not, I don't know, I haven't read it. The only thing I know is that in the book, Kaa the snake is not an antagonist. Speaking of which, the villains are by far the best part of the film. I love how they build up the character of Shere Khan as this savage and merciless predator, which is exactly how he's presented, and he's pretty intimidating. But, like most great Disney villains, there's also a lot of class and confidence in his character along with his deep voice that makes him such a charming antagonist. Kaa is also a cool villain. I like how he's being taken advantage of because he's a snake, with him having to use his long body for various reasons and having him hiss with his "s" sounds. Though, it's kind of distracting to hear his voice as it's obvious that he's the exact same voice as Winnie-the-Pooh.

Personally, I wish that the villains would've gotten more screen time. But, it mainly focuses on Mowgli's journey through the jungle, which I do find enjoyable for the most part. Oddly enough, I actually find Mowgli to be really annoying. I just thought he was way too stubborn. There was a point in the film where he was standing right next to Shere Khan and asked why he should run away from him. Um, maybe because he's a vicious tiger that's right in front of you and is going to eat you alive if you don't run! But, I thought the rest of the characters were pretty enjoyable. I like Baloo and Bagheera, and I like the other animals they meet along the journey. The songs are pretty entertaining, albeit not all that memorable other than The Bare Necessities, of course. There is one song called My Own Home that I think should be heard more, it has a very beautiful and soothing tone. I'm not really a fan of the animation done in this film. I know that the producers in the animation industry were trying out a more limited style of animation during this time. But, I just never really liked the way it was stylized, it was a little too choppy and sketchy.

As a whole, THE JUNGLE BOOK doesn't really have anything that fascinating. I usually don't like films that are this standard and basic because there is so just much potential for the film industry nowadays that you'd always expect them to do something ground-breaking and spectacular. But, due to the time period in which it was released, I'd give it a pass. This film is definitely not among my personal favorites from Disney, I'm not a fan of the animation style and Mowgli can really get on my nerves sometimes. But, the rest of the characters are still very enjoyable, notably the villains, and the songs are entertaining enough. It's probably just meant to be a simple family film, something that everyone can watch.

Grade: B
April 27, 2016
Although it is the last animated film with Walt's own personal touch, "The Jungle Book" is definitely "fun for the whole family!" With its catchy tunes and delightful characters, your kids will want to watch this movie again and again
½ April 25, 2016
Catchy songs but too linear plot and little character development.
April 25, 2016
A Disney classic, The Jungle Book provides a sweet and delightful story of a bear and a panther trying to save a human from certain death. The film is simple, yet still engaging.
½ April 21, 2016
"The Jungle Book" is a simple story of friendship and finding your place in the world. I think that it is often overlooked because it lacks the attention-grabbing opening number that immediately draws us into the story; however, each chapter of this episodic presentation works together to create an outstanding progression. I can't believe that I never recognized this piece as a masterpiece. I appreciate the complex plots of modern Disney films like "Frozen" and "Zootopia," but there is something beautiful about a simplistic and straightforward story. After the disappointment of "The Sword in the Stone," Walt Disney decided to be actively involved in every aspect of this film and it shows. This is the last animated film that Walt personally touched before his death and this straightforward, character-driven story is a tribute to his ability to create pure magic from simplicity. He managed to "Disney-fy" Rudyard Kiplings's story to remove its dark tone while capturing the important lessons and characters from the original. I love Baloo so much. He's one of the most lovable and underrated Disney characters. Perhaps it's the familiarity with Phil Harris' voice in "The Aristocats" (Thomas O'Malley) and "Robin Hood" (Little John), or maybe it's because he improvised most of his lines to give them a sense of genuine honesty, but you can't help but want Baloo to be your papa bear from the moment that you meet him. Then when you throw in other Disney voices like Sterling Holloway (Winnie the Pooh) as Kaa, Bruce Reitherman (Christopher Robin) as Mowgli, Sebastian Cabot (Pooh Narrator) as Bagheera, and Verna Felton (Fairy Godmother, Queen of Hearts) in her final film role as Winifred the Elephant, the entire film is predisposed to impressive chemistry. It is interesting that Louis Prima continues to live on through his character of King Louie, who captures the swing style of the famous bandleader. The cherry on top is George Sanders' successful provision of a truly evil voice for Shere Khan that is on par with Scar and Judge Frollo, some of Disney's greatest villain voices. The story entertains with sight gags that enhance the story without distracting from it. The brief elephant sequence is one of the cleverest in any Disney movie, creating a comical military satire with a ragtag group of elephants. J. Pat O'Mallet as Hathi, the elephant general, is perfection. "Robin Hood" later borrowed some animated moments from the film (the elephant trumpet, King Louie's dance), as well as basing Little John off of Baloo due to budget restrictions. This may seem like a cheap move but in modern times, it adds awesome Easter eggs to these films. As usual, much of this film's magic comes from its expertly crafted musical numbers. The back-to-back performances of "The Bare Necessities" and "I Wan'na Be Like You" will practically have you out of your seat and dancing along, while "My Own Home" is one of the most beautiful songs composed by the Sherman Brothers. And let's not forget that there's a great barbershop piece sung by the Liverpool-accented vultures who are awfully reminiscent of a popular 1960's mop-topped quartet. When you combine these numbers with the heartbreaking string music by George Bruns at two key moments in the film, you have the complete package. I made the mistake of waiting too long to see "The Jungle Book" through adult eyes. Don't make the same mistake as me. Prioritize this film so that you can fully appreciate the last masterpiece that Walt brought to life prior to his death.
½ April 21, 2016
A whole extra star just for the beautifully depicted nature and jungle.
April 19, 2016
loved this movie great movie will be a classic forever
½ April 19, 2016
The Jungle Book is fun, heartfelt, emotionally powerful and a great time! It is not overly complicated and very simple with its message. This film is perfect for the family to enjoy! I personally almost cried at some scenes, it was that good!

For some they might find this film playing it too safe and not taking chances. For the most part I can kind of agree but honestly for what this film was going for they did such an excellent job and it is an absolute classic and one of the best of the Disney library! Check it out with the family for sure!