Li'l Abner Reviews

• May 05, 2018

Colorful adaptation of the Broadway musical with much of the original cast intact; Michael Kidd and Dee Dee Wood's choreography is the chief item of interest, however, and shines in such production numbers as "The Sadie Hawkins Day Ballet;" other highlights include a truncated version of "If I Had My Druthers," "Namely You," and the crowd-pleasing "Put 'Em Back the Way They Wuz."

• Feb 07, 2018

This is old school 1950's fun musical. Very innocent musical comedy, that is so innocent no one realizes they are somewhat sexist and native american roles are best played by native americans. But it is pure innocence, charm, and an entertaining watch. Stubby Kaye hots high points as Marryin' Sam.

• Sep 01, 2017

Corn-pone Kitsch DELISH. Stupefyin' Julie Newmar Jones me and Mrs. Jones.

Corn-pone Kitsch DELISH. Stupefyin' Julie Newmar Jones me and Mrs. Jones.

• Jul 04, 2014

★★1/2 (out of four) Minor and a bit too whimsical. This musical, based on the comic strip looks pretty cheap. I know the filmmakers likely wanted the sets to look like a drawing. Intsead it looks like the drawn backgrounds of a high school musical. Set in the fictional Dogpatch, USA. The town has recently been named the most useless town in the country. Therefore it has been selected as a prime place for atomic bomb testing. The town might have to vacate just before they were to have their annual Sadie Hawkins Day races, where the girls chase the boys around. The dimwitted, yet muscular and dreamy Abner must go to Washington to and argue the virtues of their town. Peter Palmer reprises his Broadway role as Abner, and he is no doubt, well cast. Julie Newmar as Stupefyn' Jones is also a site to see. But the film itself is just so goofy and lightweight, and cheap. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/Zeppo1/LilAbner_zps708f974b.jpg[/IMG]

• Mar 19, 2013

Brings back fond memories of my childhood.

Brings back fond memories of my childhood.

• Jun 14, 2011

Really Cute, Camp, & such Dumb but Lovable Characters. I believe the Beverly Hillbillies TV series was based on this Movie.Campy Muscle Bound Li'l Aber Yokum, Oversexed Daisy Mae who just wants a husband, & Mammy Yokum & her Vitamin Potion, Yokumberry Tonic, that makes Muscles out of Measly Men, & the Us Army wants it!!! There's the annual Sadie Hawkins Day Race where a Lady can catch her a Hubby & make him marry her.It's great Tween Chick Flick, & a great memory for me

• Jan 25, 2011

One of my absolute favorite musicals. Fun and bouncy. Campy, yes. But fun. No tears here and it moves at lightning speed. Great tunes without being overbearing.

• Jan 05, 2011

Enjoyable and delightful. Its sweet, funny, and family centered.

Enjoyable and delightful. Its sweet, funny, and family centered.

• Feb 03, 2010

The songs are pretty fun and catchy. The performances suit the material well. Everything else just doesn't work for me. The whole thing looks and feels as if it were filmed on stage, and has no cinematic pulse to speak of, which is one of the biggest crimes a movie can commit. The sets look fake as can be and they don't embrace their own artifice, so they are simply fake looking sets, as opposed to an extension of the movie. The plot feels rushed, and maybe I got confused somewhere, but how could the mogul's daughter marry Abner, seeing as how she wasn't from Dogpatch? And what exactly is the "code of the hills"?

• Jan 27, 2010

It looks lovely with its use of technicolor and expressionistic sets meant to mimic the comic frame. However, the songs are mostly insufferable, the actors wooden, and the cowpoke humor extremely corny. Kudos, however, for an uncredited Jerry Lewis cameo.