The Rookie Reviews

• Nov 03, 2020

An underrated and underappreciated masterpiece by the legendary Clint Eastwood. I still don't understand why this movie was hated much back when it came out. Sure some people may call it a "basic 80's action film" or "just another Lethal Weapon knock off" but this movie is entertaining as Hell. Clint's character Sgt, Nick Pulovski gives me a Dirty Harry vibe being a rough around the edges cop packing a .45 Automatic, who wont hesitate to beat the truth out of the bad guys. Charlie Sheen's character, David Ackerman is the typical young fresh out of the academy rookie police officer who is very by the books and is kind of an uptight boy scout. He's kind of a cowardly kid up until he has a very interesting character dynamic to finally come out as a trigger happy, courageous bad ass. Raul Julia's character, Strom makes an interesting villain for the film, he plays it with such style making the villain so charismatic. There are some really good action scenes like car chases, motorcycle stunts, some excellent gun play and shootouts, and even a stunt involving a sports car speeding out of an exploding building. Overall, The Rookie is a pretty damn entertaining and great film and deserves more recognition. If your a fan of 80's/90's action films, buddy cop movies, or a fan of Clint Eastwood's work, I would recommend this film.

• Oct 24, 2020

This cop thriller was really good. Clint Eastwood, Charlie Sheen, Raul Julia, and the rest of the cast did an excellent job in this movie. The plot to the movie was intense, thrilling, and dramatic. It's about backing up a person you trust and taking down the criminals no matter what without fear. If you haven't seen this movie yet, check it out sometime. Don't listen to the bad reviews this movie is getting, those people have bad tastes in movies. It's worth watching. Trust me.

• Jul 23, 2020

While I think that, on the whole, the man's filmography ranges from "meh" ("Absolute Power," "Hereafter, "etc.) to "terrific" ("Million Dollar Baby," "Gran Torino," etc.) this particular Eastwood-directed movie is hard to apologize for. I'd probably even go so far as to say it's the worst one I've seen yet. "The Rookie's" first half plays out like what you sort of expect a movie on the lower end of the Eastwood entertainment spectrum to feel like. Slow, understated, but with some minor moments of levity and fun scattered about. The second half, however, takes a flying leap down the drain, as we're all of a sudden introduced to a whole host of new problems. Filled out with some frustratingly incongruous plotting, some truly horrific bit character acting and one of the most head-scratchingly out-of-place and unnecessary scenes I've ever seen in a movie like this, it almost felt like the second half of this was like a cry for help. My general rule of thumb with Eastwood movies is this — they're only as good as their script, because Clint (God, love him) sure isn't going to polish a turd with his admittedly by-the-numbers directorial style. And boy, oh, boy, what a turd this script is.

• Jul 11, 2020

So inept I actually fell asleep.

So inept I actually fell asleep.

• Apr 21, 2020

Thanks to the reviews I was expecting the worst with this, perhaps that's why I was totally blindsided by a fun buddy-cop movie. Sure it's totally cliche, and hits most of the notes you'd expect, but that doesn't stop it from being wildly entertaining. Maybe it's just the chemistry between Eastwood and Sheen, maybe it's just the kick-ass action sequences, but I had a blast with this.

• Dec 10, 2018

This is a misfire by Clint Eastwood as he teams up with young Charlie Sheen in this buddy-cop film, a genre which was massive at the time. Its not that the film is bad, its just nothing special. Humdrum, cliched actioner offers nothing we haven't seen before. If Eastwood (who has a unique presence, even in this mediocre role) wasn't around, it would be almost unwatchable. But the moral "lessons" of the film are even more annoying than its cliches: it seems to suggest that a "boy" becomes a "real MAN" only when he learns how to punch and kill people.

• Feb 09, 2018

One of the prices one has to pay for getting Eastwood as a director in the later years is his acting and directing in the early years. This movie is one of those sacrifices. Eastwood predictably quips, scowls, clenches his jaws and furrows his brow through yet another tired and stereotypical action piece. I am grateful for the time he has spent behind the camera for more worthy productions like Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and Sully. He's finally on the right track and staying on the right side of the camera.

• Dec 03, 2017

A very predictable, a very 90's cop film featuring Clint Eastwood as Nick Pulovski a cop that is on the case of a German crook named Strom (Raul Julia). After attempting to bust Strom at one of his chop shops Nick's partner is killed and Strom get's away. The case is sent away to homicide, but Nick along with his new rookie partner (see!) David (Charlie Sheen) pursue Strom to catch him in the act. So, yeah that's basically it. There isn't a lot of depth to this one and I can only imagine people went into this one hoping to see a spiritual successor to Dirty Harry...which to a point it almost actually get's it. Clint Eastwood was about 60 years old already when this film came out and god damn is he still a bad ass. He's like a lite version of Dirty Harry at times and at times he's over the top Dirty Harry. Charlie Sheen actually isn't too bad here, but is definitely over shined by Eastwood when they share scenes. The bad guy is ridiculous though and the plot surrounding him is just plain late 80's early 90's kinda crap. The action is actually well done and while a lot of it is extremely dated for the time I gotta say it looks pretty good. The acting though is hit or miss and not to mention very cheesy at times. There's also the controversial scene of Nick being raped by Strom's right hand lady Liesl (Sonia Braga) which is just a super awkward scene...you'll have to trust me on that one. Overall, a popcorn flick from the 90's that isn't necessary watching, but I enjoyed bits and pieces of it. For most people this will be a skip!

• Nov 05, 2017

Dumb but really, really fun. Eastwood is the balls as is Charlie Sheen as his sidekick. The action is so over the top, the bar room scene when Sheen flies solo is one of my favourites and Clint even manages to get raped and ends up in a DIY skin flick.

• Oct 09, 2017

Easily enjoyable because of the "so-bad-it's-good" phenomenon in which Charlie goes into some Platoon moments, for not much reason, and the obvious and numerous things that happen in this film. Oh and Eastwood directed the crap out of The Rookie, it's funny, entertaining, and puzzling (for reasons stated) all at the same time. It's the type of film one must grow up with. I didn't and it gets a surprisingly good rating. Will this become cult viewing?