The Rookie Reviews

• Apr 21, 2020

Thanks to the reviews I was expecting the worst with this, perhaps that's why I was totally blindsided by a fun buddy-cop movie. Sure it's totally cliche, and hits most of the notes you'd expect, but that doesn't stop it from being wildly entertaining. Maybe it's just the chemistry between Eastwood and Sheen, maybe it's just the kick-ass action sequences, but I had a blast with this.

• Dec 10, 2018

This is a misfire by Clint Eastwood as he teams up with young Charlie Sheen in this buddy-cop film, a genre which was massive at the time. Its not that the film is bad, its just nothing special. Humdrum, cliched actioner offers nothing we haven't seen before. If Eastwood (who has a unique presence, even in this mediocre role) wasn't around, it would be almost unwatchable. But the moral "lessons" of the film are even more annoying than its cliches: it seems to suggest that a "boy" becomes a "real MAN" only when he learns how to punch and kill people.

• Feb 09, 2018

One of the prices one has to pay for getting Eastwood as a director in the later years is his acting and directing in the early years. This movie is one of those sacrifices. Eastwood predictably quips, scowls, clenches his jaws and furrows his brow through yet another tired and stereotypical action piece. I am grateful for the time he has spent behind the camera for more worthy productions like Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and Sully. He's finally on the right track and staying on the right side of the camera.

• Dec 03, 2017

A very predictable, a very 90's cop film featuring Clint Eastwood as Nick Pulovski a cop that is on the case of a German crook named Strom (Raul Julia). After attempting to bust Strom at one of his chop shops Nick's partner is killed and Strom get's away. The case is sent away to homicide, but Nick along with his new rookie partner (see!) David (Charlie Sheen) pursue Strom to catch him in the act. So, yeah that's basically it. There isn't a lot of depth to this one and I can only imagine people went into this one hoping to see a spiritual successor to Dirty Harry...which to a point it almost actually get's it. Clint Eastwood was about 60 years old already when this film came out and god damn is he still a bad ass. He's like a lite version of Dirty Harry at times and at times he's over the top Dirty Harry. Charlie Sheen actually isn't too bad here, but is definitely over shined by Eastwood when they share scenes. The bad guy is ridiculous though and the plot surrounding him is just plain late 80's early 90's kinda crap. The action is actually well done and while a lot of it is extremely dated for the time I gotta say it looks pretty good. The acting though is hit or miss and not to mention very cheesy at times. There's also the controversial scene of Nick being raped by Strom's right hand lady Liesl (Sonia Braga) which is just a super awkward scene...you'll have to trust me on that one. Overall, a popcorn flick from the 90's that isn't necessary watching, but I enjoyed bits and pieces of it. For most people this will be a skip!

• Nov 05, 2017

Dumb but really, really fun. Eastwood is the balls as is Charlie Sheen as his sidekick. The action is so over the top, the bar room scene when Sheen flies solo is one of my favourites and Clint even manages to get raped and ends up in a DIY skin flick.

• Oct 09, 2017

Easily enjoyable because of the "so-bad-it's-good" phenomenon in which Charlie goes into some Platoon moments, for not much reason, and the obvious and numerous things that happen in this film. Oh and Eastwood directed the crap out of The Rookie, it's funny, entertaining, and puzzling (for reasons stated) all at the same time. It's the type of film one must grow up with. I didn't and it gets a surprisingly good rating. Will this become cult viewing?

• Jul 09, 2017

Funny, action-packed and smart, The Rookie is entertaining enough for a recommendation with the considerable buddy-cop chemistry between the film's scene-stealing stars.

• Mar 24, 2017

Anyone who doesn't give this action classic at least 3 and a half stars has no taste.

• Jan 18, 2017

Nice paring of Eastwood and Sheen make for a fun action buddy cop movie that does nothing more and to be fair, nothing less that you expect.

• Jun 12, 2016

Rookie cop partners with cranky veteran cop.

Rookie cop partners with cranky veteran cop.