Anastasia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anastasia Reviews

June 15, 2015
An interesting story with some great performances...I could've watched this forever!
January 27, 2015
This is a lavish production that would probably be great on big screen with its' cinemascope. The story is a little melodramatic and so is the acting from Ingrid Bergman and Yule Brenner, but it's fun to watch.
½ December 29, 2014
"Anastasia" es una magnífica cinta que recrea en el París de los años 20 la posibilidad de que la hereda al trono de Rusia esté viva. Ingrid Bergman obtuvo merecidamente el Oscar por su interpretación de la supuesta Anastasia y el siempre imponente Yul Brynner es perfecto como el ex-patriado que la rescata de la miseria y la locura.
½ December 13, 2014
what a sweet ending :)
November 9, 2014
It was fine, but Bergman was her usual over the top melodramatic self. Funny to think she got an oscar for this.

Brynner was good as the Russian General.

It may have been the first film I'd seen in awhile where they wen to Copenhagen.
½ August 26, 2014
Bergman had been away from Hollywood for years before this marvelous return. She brought dignity and passion to a beautiful story.
½ February 27, 2014
good bio-pic con game pic
½ January 3, 2014
A great film with great performances. Bergman is a knockout.
June 6, 2013
Tuesday, May 21, 2013

(1956) Anastasia
DRAMA

Familiarity first half but the film picks up on the second half starring Ingrid Bergman winning her second Oscar performance. Boring beginning which centers on General Sergei Pavlovich Bounine played by Yul Brynner conversing with Bergman who was hired or given a specific amount of money to find and locate the real Anastasia an heiress who was assumed to be shot dead by the rebels of the "Tsar" family during the turnover of the Russian revolution. With records showed that she was really alive and she happens to be a full grown lady who had escaped from a recent mental institution.

Plays almost like Yul Brynner's other film "The King And I" except that this time the roles are somewhat reversed where it's him falling for the wealthy missing heiress assumed to be Anastasia. Quite cliché first half but very involving second half. The most satisfying fictionalize portrait involving an actual lost heir.

3 out of 4 stars
April 19, 2013
Ingrid Bergman shines, everything else is just OK.
½ March 29, 2013
The film adaption of the very interesting yet very historically blurred story of the infamous Anastasia.

Ingrid Bergman was great but to my surprise Yul Brenner was fantastic in his role as the Head Con Man.

I found the film lost footing once Yul Brenner introduced Anastasia to the public. The early half of the film was my engaging. Although entertaining it doesn't ultimately add up, but worth a watch...
February 19, 2013
Wonderful, but I wanted to see them kiss!
½ February 12, 2013
I smirked all the time during the movie. I never imagined that it would be an exaggerated dramatic movie. The cartoon version of Anastasia no doubt is dazzling, however the real live action is disappointing. I could not feel the love between the General and Anastasia, could not see it in their eyes. The only good thing about this movie is Helen Hayes, she was marvelous, that was the real acting. I do not like how they talked so fast without emotionally attached with what they're saying...
January 26, 2013
I loved it. Simply LOVED it. How could I not? Ingrid Bergman and Yul Brynner. Simply fantastic. And nobody writes screen plays like that anymore! The dialog was phenomenal. And Helen Hayes as the Dowager Empress had the BEST lines. Ah but simply one of the most wonderful films I have watched in a while.
January 8, 2013
An opportunistic Russian businessman tries to pass a mysterious impostor as the Grand Duchess Anastasia. But she is so convincing in her performance that even the biggest skeptics believe her.
August 31, 2012
París, 1928. Tras la Revolución Rusa de 1917 y, después de varios años de exilio, un grupo de súbditos leales al zarismo sigue buscando el rastro de la Gran Duquesa Anastasia, la única superviviente de la matanza de Ekaterimburgo (1918), ciudad donde los bolcheviques de Lenin acabaron con la dinastía de los Romanov.
August 29, 2012
A great performance can always be expected from Bergman. Brynner's a presence.
½ July 10, 2012
While this version is nice, I still prefer the animated remake. I've just known the latter longer and hold it closer to my heart.
June 28, 2012
There are a few obstacles to the 1956 version of Anastasia. The first is the opening 20 minutes of the film, which meanders and provides far too much exposition in the most boring means possible. And then there are the heavy accents by every character in the picture. But if you get past those two items-and understand this is heavily speculative historical fiction-Anastasia can be a gripping film. The story itself is solid, moving swiftly and seemingly culminating before it really should. Bergman is mesmerizing, especially in her scenes with Helen Hayes. Yul Brynner takes a back seat for most of the film, though he is a pivitol character throughout. Wheat we don't necessarily get is a well rounded look at Prince Paul, to see what he's about, since he is bad mouthed in the lead up to the finale. But, really, Anastasia makes a perfect double bill with 1971's Nicholas and Alexandra, an episode from history no one should ever forget.