Anastasia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anastasia Reviews

½ August 18, 2017
Despite the Oscar winning performance from Ingrid Bergman which also reunited her with her Hollywood throne, Anastasia doesn't offer much more in the way of depth and doesn't succeed to engage throughout the 105 minutes in which the film runs. It's a nervy fairytale but the show very much feels finished earlier on until a marvellous turn from Helen Hayes as the empress. Hayes is delightful and her scenes with Bergman offer much redemption to the film's less positive qualities. Overall, the film suffers from mediocre pacing among other things but still manages to impress with a superb score and stellar performances.
July 4, 2017
Is she the long lost princess? A return to those glorious days of a benevolent monarchy? Or only a deluded wannabe? Bergman walks this tightrope with particular aplomb, and that part of the story swirls a mist of mystery that is sweet indeed. But the other half of the story sinks because there is no magnetic energy between Brynner and she. Zip. Nada. Eh. They should remake this. Still a quality production.
½ June 27, 2017
finally saw it on tv 6-2017. Interesting. Ingrid xlnt and lookn good. Yul xlnt. Interesting story.3.5 stars for its time. 3 stars for today.
October 7, 2016
Everything was beautiful but the ending.
June 15, 2015
An interesting story with some great performances...I could've watched this forever!
January 27, 2015
This is a lavish production that would probably be great on big screen with its' cinemascope. The story is a little melodramatic and so is the acting from Ingrid Bergman and Yule Brenner, but it's fun to watch.
½ December 29, 2014
"Anastasia" es una magnífica cinta que recrea en el París de los años 20 la posibilidad de que la hereda al trono de Rusia esté viva. Ingrid Bergman obtuvo merecidamente el Oscar por su interpretación de la supuesta Anastasia y el siempre imponente Yul Brynner es perfecto como el ex-patriado que la rescata de la miseria y la locura.
½ December 13, 2014
what a sweet ending :)
November 9, 2014
It was fine, but Bergman was her usual over the top melodramatic self. Funny to think she got an oscar for this.

Brynner was good as the Russian General.

It may have been the first film I'd seen in awhile where they wen to Copenhagen.
½ August 26, 2014
Bergman had been away from Hollywood for years before this marvelous return. She brought dignity and passion to a beautiful story.
½ February 27, 2014
good bio-pic con game pic
½ January 3, 2014
A great film with great performances. Bergman is a knockout.
June 6, 2013
Tuesday, May 21, 2013

(1956) Anastasia
DRAMA

Familiarity first half but the film picks up on the second half starring Ingrid Bergman winning her second Oscar performance. Boring beginning which centers on General Sergei Pavlovich Bounine played by Yul Brynner conversing with Bergman who was hired or given a specific amount of money to find and locate the real Anastasia an heiress who was assumed to be shot dead by the rebels of the "Tsar" family during the turnover of the Russian revolution. With records showed that she was really alive and she happens to be a full grown lady who had escaped from a recent mental institution.

Plays almost like Yul Brynner's other film "The King And I" except that this time the roles are somewhat reversed where it's him falling for the wealthy missing heiress assumed to be Anastasia. Quite cliché first half but very involving second half. The most satisfying fictionalize portrait involving an actual lost heir.

3 out of 4 stars
April 19, 2013
Ingrid Bergman shines, everything else is just OK.
½ March 29, 2013
The film adaption of the very interesting yet very historically blurred story of the infamous Anastasia.

Ingrid Bergman was great but to my surprise Yul Brenner was fantastic in his role as the Head Con Man.

I found the film lost footing once Yul Brenner introduced Anastasia to the public. The early half of the film was my engaging. Although entertaining it doesn't ultimately add up, but worth a watch...
February 19, 2013
Wonderful, but I wanted to see them kiss!
½ February 12, 2013
I smirked all the time during the movie. I never imagined that it would be an exaggerated dramatic movie. The cartoon version of Anastasia no doubt is dazzling, however the real live action is disappointing. I could not feel the love between the General and Anastasia, could not see it in their eyes. The only good thing about this movie is Helen Hayes, she was marvelous, that was the real acting. I do not like how they talked so fast without emotionally attached with what they're saying...
January 26, 2013
I loved it. Simply LOVED it. How could I not? Ingrid Bergman and Yul Brynner. Simply fantastic. And nobody writes screen plays like that anymore! The dialog was phenomenal. And Helen Hayes as the Dowager Empress had the BEST lines. Ah but simply one of the most wonderful films I have watched in a while.
January 8, 2013
An opportunistic Russian businessman tries to pass a mysterious impostor as the Grand Duchess Anastasia. But she is so convincing in her performance that even the biggest skeptics believe her.