GoodFellas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

GoodFellas Reviews

½ January 15, 2017
If the first movie you've seen Joe Pesci in was Home Alone, you were clearly missing his standout film: Goodfellas, which is unpredictable, sharp, and shocking; It's the Gold Standard of the Gangster Genre.
January 10, 2017
Damn, is this what it looks like to be a gangster? It might as well be. Martin Scorsese sees every detail of the lives of the wiseguy Henry Hill from rise to fall. Ray Liotta plays him with every inch of realism, playing it cool from the start and a paranoid wreck near the end. The best moments are when he, DeNiro, and Pesci are on screen, because it's both homely and tense. The rest of the cast is amazing it's like family on film. As it goes, the colors get less vibrant and the violence gets more brutal. In Scorsese's strongest film, the gangsters live like movie stars, and thus the film runs with major muscle.
January 7, 2017
Scorsese masterpiece! Needs to be seen to be believed; in one word: perfection. Every frame, every voice-over, every song - it all comes together at the exact right moment to create the perfect film experience. This film makes you really understand and feel what makes the American mafia so compelling; in the eyes of a kid, who was unfortunate enough to grow up in a tough neighborhood, those gangsters are rock stars. Live fast, die young - but when you die, it ain't gonna be of a glamorous suicide or drug overdose - the ending will be brutal, ugly and sad. And it may very well be one of your best friends that will blow your brains out.

I'll never get tired of watching Goodfellas; the entertainment value of this film is just amazing. It doesn't happen very often that every person involved in the process of making a film is at the peak of his/her game. And rarely do art and entertainment come together the way they did here. Storytelling with impeccable pacing, this is what it's like when a master composer conducts his masterpiece. All hail the king; the most versatile and talented filmmaker of his generation: Martin Scorsese
January 6, 2017
It's good, I just don't love it like the vast majority of people.
December 22, 2016
Best Mob movie ever. A movie that actually goes into the mentality of a mob member and that honor doesn't make you a leader.
December 15, 2016
Goodfellas is considered to be Martin Scorsese's Masterwork and for good reason, with a intricate and wildly entertaining plot, the film sets new ground for gangster genre only done previously by The Godfather
December 3, 2016
CLASSIC! On Blu-ray.
November 26, 2016
Only Scorsese could make lovable degenerates so damn likable and compelling.
½ November 23, 2016
One of them films you watch and think "why have I never watched this before". This is my mums favourite film and it's easy to see why. Amazing.
November 14, 2016
Adapted from Nicolas Pileggi's best-selling novel "Wiseguy: Life in a Mafia Family," "GoodFellas" is an extraordinary film about organized crime that has become an important piece of cinematography history. "GoodFellas" is about the true-life account of mobster and FBI informant Henry Hill. The movie begins with a young boy working for some "wise guys" in his neighborhood who eventually teach him the ropes of the mafia as he grows up and is eventually welcomed into the family.

This is Martin Scorsese at the peak of his career. He utilizes many techniques that have become his signature like freeze frames, fast cutting, and long tracking shots. That being said, Scorsese's best move was with the all-star casting; including incredible performances by Ray Liotta and Robert DeNiro. It is the extremely over-the-top performance by Joe Pesci that really makes "GoodFellas" thrilling and unpredictable.

"GoodFellas" became an instant classic because of its ruthlessness, violence, and intriguing exploration into the crime-filled adventures of a popular American mob family. "GoodFellas" is so great, it won six Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director, and it won Pesci the Best Actor in a Supporting Role. It also consistently ranks extremely high on lists like "Greatest Films of All Time."
½ November 13, 2016
Very well made, though I had a hard time finding anything sympathetic characters. I mean, thank god since everyone in this is a goddamn sociopath. Noticed a lot of continuity errors. Not sure if this was an intentional style choice based on the fast pacing or if these were genuine errors. The VO didn't bug me as much as other movies do. Hard not to compare it to Godfather or Sopranos, and it's just not as good.
November 3, 2016
Favorite mob movie ever made.
October 28, 2016
My favorite crime/mob movie. Liotta, De Niro, and Pesci give performances that sell and make us listen to every second of the movie.
October 28, 2016
Scorseses gangstersuccé visar hans bästa sida inom genren. Härlig storyline och rappkäftade repliker. En av de allra bästa!
October 25, 2016
"As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a Gangster."
October 14, 2016
An awesome gangster movie.
October 9, 2016
A classic mob epic that won't bore you one bit. Martin Scorsese's amazing directing makes it intriguing and intense. The brilliant performances from De Niro, Liotta, and Pesci just make it more spectacular.
September 25, 2016
La mejor peliculas de mafiosos de todos los tiempos.
September 16, 2016
I still do not know how this did not win Best Picture in its year, Dances with Wolves is undoubtedly a great film but it does not match up to this. It is very well adapted from the book, as it manages to explain the details of the mob to us through voiceover, without getting boring. Also, the language and violence present seems to enhance scenes rather than be in there simply to shock viewers. The performances are first rate, and many of the songs featured in the film fit their respective scenes perfectly.

As one would expect, the film is well-directed, with the freeze frames, fast editing and narration working very well together. Some very inventive camera tricks also make the film very visually appealing.

Overall, I feel this may have been one of the biggest mistakes in Oscar history, and quite possibly Scorsese's best film.
September 13, 2016
The best mafia movie ever made. The kind of movie you could watch over and over because it never gets boring.