After Hours - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

After Hours Reviews

½ September 18, 2008
Shot entirely at night, there's a bleak and surreal feel to the entire film, which explores the weird and freaky side of a city that appears after the sun sets.
September 16, 2008
THis is the movie that you watched some night. Some night when you had nothing to do. You we're too young to remember it's release. Besides, it was 'R' rated. The dark tone of humor and asthetics literally pulled you into this mad, mad story about one man's struggle in the Soho district of New York. You wondered why you hadn't seen it before....?

Griffen Dunne, Rosanne Arquette, John Heard, Linda Fiorentino, and Cheech and Chong star in one of the strangest, funniest, and wildest thrill-rides of the 1980's.

Swiftly rising subway fares, Plaster of Paris Bagel and Cream Cheese Paperweights, even the faint possibility of being, yes, 'mohawked'.
September 14, 2008
So much potential, so horribly executed. Not Scorsese material. Got interesting just when it ended.
½ September 10, 2008
What a fun film! Who knew Scorsese had a comedy in him!
September 6, 2008
The Best Scorsese film,ever.
September 5, 2008
Pas le meilleur Scorsese mais quelques bonnes situations loufoques! Un opus sympathique et "inhabituel" dans le registre du réalisateur!
½ September 5, 2008
Awesomely bizarre, yet entirely relatable "worst night ever" flick from Martin Scorsese. Probably one of his most under-appreciated films.
September 4, 2008
one of Scorsese's early films...
August 31, 2008
Martin Scorcese's only comedy, in which he out Coens the Coen brothers...
½ August 30, 2008
Une comedie paranoiaque signee Scorsese, ca n'arrive pas tous les jours. On est proche de l'univers kafkaien, et on ne se repose jamais.
August 25, 2008
One of Martin Scorsese's weaker films, but a still intruiging dark comedy worth an hour and a half of your attention.
August 24, 2008
A lazy Sunday afternoon suddenly turned into an 80's Yuppie Culture Satire Double Feature. This is A LOT better than American Psycho. I wrote a movie review for AP Psychology on After Hours, so here it is in all of its inglory. Words in CAPS are psych terms. Major, major spoilers on the first paragraph though, so don't read it lololol:

After Hours is a black comedy film directed by Martin Scorcese and released in 1985. It's the DREAM-like tale of a word processor named Paul Hackett who one day meets a woman named Marcy who shares his interest in Henry Miller books. She gives him his number and Paul eventually works up the MOTIVATION to call Marcy that night, with no regard to his CIRCADIAN RHYTHM at 11 PM. She asks him to drive down to SoHo, where she lives with a woman named Kiki, who makes strange paper mache sculptures. Set in a dark time before TV remotes, all of Paul's money flies out of the taxi cab and stiffs the cab driver. After going out for coffee, and expecting some SELF DISCLOSURE and to grow upon their budding INTIMACY, Marcy starts acting strangely and incoherently rambles about the tragic events in her life, startling Paul, who leaves. What happens next is a PERCEPTION shattering, ADRENAL GLAND triggering journey through the chilling underground CULTURE of after hours SoHo that will test his TEMPERAMENT and THRESHOLD for pain and suffering. Basically, everything that can possibly go wrong goes wrong, and in some way or another, it's all Paul Hackett's fault. He meets a bartender and a waitress who is interested in Paul but later realizes that she is even weirder than Marcy, so he leaves. The bartender is actually Marcy's boyfriend, and gets a call saying that Marcy has committed suicide. In a display of ALTRUISM, or perhaps due to a strong sense of ATTACHMENT, he runs to the bartender's apartment to check on her. With little room for COPING with Marcy'¬?s death and physical and emotional STRESS mounting, he is eventually chased down by a mob who believes he's a burglar. With help from a middle aged woman inside a Mohawk Punk gathering and with unintentional help from two Hispanic men who are the actual thieves, he is transported in front of his workplace to begin another boring work day with a different understanding of SELF-CONCEPT.

I am not the biggest fan of Martin Scorcese, but this is easily his best film. Very Kafka-esque in its cruel, impersonal ENVIRONMENT, the portrayal of the seedy DELUSIONAL underground of SoHo is very well done and is genuinely horrific in its indecency and unavailability of the NORM. Scorcese CREATIVELY shoots the scenes in constant motion, adding to the tense HALLUCINATORY tone of the film. The pacing is also mercilessly relentless, with comically absurd moments that build and build and doesn't stop until the very final scene, when the viewer has had enough. After Hours is a brilliant, darkly funny exaggeration of grim reality.
½ August 24, 2008
A hysterical dark comedy that I'm surprised I'm just now seeing for the first time, considering how much I worship Marty. Griffin Dunne is immensly likable and it's impossible not to sympathize with the guy during his night of hell. Rosanna Arquette is stunning in her bit part, I wish she had more screentime for that reason alone. This flick was oozing Scorsese, loved just about every minute of it.
August 22, 2008
This was pretty bad. I couldn't tell if this was a comedy or a drama.
August 22, 2008
One of those really weird movie, funny in a weird way.......
August 20, 2008
I don't know, the movie had a chance to get really uncomfortable and realistic at times, but never went there. At others it became slightly screwball, but never to hilarity. Like King of Comedy, I didn't really understand what Scorsese was out to do. He had lost a lot of the hard gritty edge of Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, substituting it for a odder stories that seem to say nothing substantial in the end.
Also, the camera work feels a little overdone. I like that they it moves about with the classical music in the office to give that busy busy tone, but sometimes the quick zoom-ins and such seem to be trying to make the movie more than it can be, calling attention to themselves. Hurumph, I say. Hurumph.
August 19, 2008
Scorsese's delivered a most entertaining kafkasque adventure. It keeps reminding me how life is full of coincident....
August 17, 2008
One of my favorites and one of my faves from Scorsese follows a yuppie on a realistically surreal nightmare of an evening and finding himself linked to all the nuttiness. griffin dunne is perfect as Paul Hackett. This is one that i make friends watch. Great cast
½ August 17, 2008
A deeply intense, unnerving comedy, partly due to its Kafkaesque disorientation and partly due to how strongly each character is drawn, right down to John Heard's bartender.

The reality of the film is what makes it so curious. We spiral down deeper and deeper with Dunne, as unable to find our way as he is, even when connections between events become less and less tenuous.

It helps when you've had crazy nights like Dunne's - minus the suicide.

After Hours successfully does what so many of those movies that take place over the course of an evening or a day attempt: the tension is there from the start, and it never goes away; even when you're laughing.
½ August 17, 2008
This is a hidden jewel for every Scorsese fan, a real great twisted comedy about a normal man facing absurd situations.