Caravaggio - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Caravaggio Reviews

½ October 6, 2016
No, mo?e przesadzam z ocen?, ale w zwi?zku z dziesi?tkami dla filmu o Mistrzu Kiczu (Beksi?skim) uwa?am, ?e tu tym bardziej nie ma si? co hamowa?. :P
August 22, 2015
Filled with Jarman's signature stylistic flourishes (period idiosyncrasies, minimalist production design, plenty of gratuitous nudity) and compellingly low-key, Caravaggio is a artfully-made meditation on the nature of the artist and how they draw inspiration from their own lived experiences.
July 31, 2015
Jarman's biography of the painter may be him most accessible film in the sense that it has a fairly straightforward narrative stream to it, even though it's style is quite avant-garde. Nigel Terry stars as the volatile painter, who's drinking, fighting and whoring ways puts him at odds with the Church while his magnificent detailed religious paintings were in demand. The style of Jarman's film echoes the style of Caravaggio's art (down to the use of deliberate anachronisms) without being too obvious about any of it. Tilda Swinton (in her film debut) and Sean Bean (in his second film) stand out as a couple who are also Caravaggio's lovers. How Caravaggio's somewhat closeted homosexuality influenced his work is a theme Jarman would continue to examine throughout his career.
½ June 6, 2015
Some post-modern stuff, with Sean Bean, Tilda Swinton, Dexter Fletcher in their rookie years.
½ November 26, 2014
A few good visuals, but that's all. I don't even know what this movie was intending to do...
November 2, 2014
Quite an amazing display of bad teeth!
½ October 12, 2013
It being written up as an art film with a fictional, disjointed narrative, I thought I may well have been in for some pretty rubbish. Thankfully, I was not. Yes, there's not much of a 'story' in the traditional sense, but you get a real feeling for Caravaggio's work and outlook. It's beautifully shot- all shadows and light, just like the master's paintings and the actors do a good job with the story. As you'd expect, there's elements of satire, surreal anachronistic touches and the whole thing is thoroughly eccentric. But it works. You get a sense of Caravaggio the man, even if it's unclear how much of this is Jarman's interpretation of this. In the end, it doesn't really matter. It's a visual treat and no struggle to watch at all.
½ May 21, 2013
The love triangle at the center of Jarman's Caravaggio is a little too stately and soapy to leave much of an impression. But the scene where he visits the pope is a profane delight.
½ March 8, 2013
I Apprecciate CARAVAGGIO,so that's a film to watch !!
½ November 13, 2012
It was beautifully shot and lit. Jarman really brought to life the lighting of Caravaggio's paintings where the black of the shadows seeps into the bright reds and the peach pallor of human skin as if it was starting to swallow all whole. Nevertheless, it was a film where I couldn't really understand what the hell was going on. There were just numerous, bizarre scenes that did not seem related to one another.
½ November 13, 2012
See Distant Voices review in a mo...
September 22, 2012
Good actors, but the plot is confusing and sluggish -- I could not finish this one
August 18, 2012
Sumptious looking. Different. Stagey. But an absolute must-see for any Caravaggio fan. Or Derek Jarman fan. Or Tilda Swinton fan.
½ August 11, 2012
Fotografia absurda imitando o estilo de Caravaggio. Exercício de estilo típico de Derek Jarman. E o primeiro filme de Tilda Swinton!
April 5, 2012
Not being one of these people who get off on this "classic" style of movie, nor am I a big fan or baroque painters, nor am I gay, there is not much about this film to enjoy for me. It was an interesting role for Sean Bean though, considering the type of roles he has gone on to play.
½ February 19, 2012
An artful meditation of Caravaggio's life and work that also strongly features the tones and subjects of Jarman's art.
February 17, 2012
To celebrate my first encounter with Jerman?s work, an encouraging 8 out 10 is a steadfast testament. For an experimental and aesthetic essay which occasions a fiery contention concerning the fashioning of art and human's innate struggle for desire, CARAVAGGIO is the perfect standard-bearer in the field.

There are many merits from the film I can recapitulate, firstly, the recreation of Caravaggio's oeuvre is thrillingly overwhelming and a chief accomplishment is the starkly austere setting (a Silver Berlin Bear for its visual shaping that year is the most cogent proof for both), constituting a cocktail of the simplicity from the mundane world and the inexplicable lust from the spiritual concussion.

Secondly, a theatrically radical group of thespians manages to embroider the no-frills narrative, which has been dispatched into several erratic episodes, with some passionately innovative punch, name checking the very young and rookie couple Sean Bean (smoking hot!) and Tilda Swinton (for whom this film is her debut), and as the titled genius, Nigel Terry resembles a doppelgšnger image of the artist, while relentlessly contributing a scorching destructive epidemic to the character itself. Other small roles, such as Jack Birkett?s Pope, Robbie Coltrane?s Scipione Borghese and Dexter Fletcher?s younger Caravaggio are all surrealistically wacky.

Thirdly, the film is far from a biographical recount, a downright English accent and many deliberate anachronisms (smoking, typewriter e.g.) are contrived to amplify the zany flare to its cult hut, a phantasmagorical interpretation of the artist?s ill-fated life.

Clearly the film could be pigeonholed into a love-it-or-hate-it category like other non-mainstream films from genuine auteurs, and this time, my gut-feeling is being exaltedly dumbfounded.
November 6, 2011
Brilliant concept (a fictional life of Caravaggio, inspired by images from his major works,) mostly very well executed. Unfortunately, the story that it all sketches out feels a bit thin 25 years on. Still, as an exercise in film making it is a bit of a marvel: visual cues, from wild anachronisms to simple colors tell the story with more intrigue than the dialogue manages to muster.
August 31, 2011
Love love love this movie! The set design is eerily similar to Caravaggio's own chiaroscuro style, and very beautiful to look at. Also, it features a young Dexter Fletcher, so what's not to love? :)
August 7, 2011
Well, that was different.