Caravaggio Reviews

• Oct 06, 2016

No, mo?e przesadzam z ocen?, ale w zwi?zku z dziesi?tkami dla filmu o Mistrzu Kiczu (Beksi?skim) uwa?am, ?e tu tym bardziej nie ma si? co hamowa?. :P

• Aug 22, 2015

Filled with Jarman's signature stylistic flourishes (period idiosyncrasies, minimalist production design, plenty of gratuitous nudity) and compellingly low-key, Caravaggio is a artfully-made meditation on the nature of the artist and how they draw inspiration from their own lived experiences.

• Jun 06, 2015

Some post-modern stuff, with Sean Bean, Tilda Swinton, Dexter Fletcher in their rookie years.

• Nov 02, 2014

Quite an amazing display of bad teeth!

Quite an amazing display of bad teeth!

• Jan 03, 2014

A few good visuals, but that's all. I don't even know what this movie was intending to do...

• Oct 12, 2013

It being written up as an art film with a fictional, disjointed narrative, I thought I may well have been in for some pretty rubbish. Thankfully, I was not. Yes, there's not much of a 'story' in the traditional sense, but you get a real feeling for Caravaggio's work and outlook. It's beautifully shot- all shadows and light, just like the master's paintings and the actors do a good job with the story. As you'd expect, there's elements of satire, surreal anachronistic touches and the whole thing is thoroughly eccentric. But it works. You get a sense of Caravaggio the man, even if it's unclear how much of this is Jarman's interpretation of this. In the end, it doesn't really matter. It's a visual treat and no struggle to watch at all.

• May 21, 2013

The love triangle at the center of Jarman's Caravaggio is a little too stately and soapy to leave much of an impression. But the scene where he visits the pope is a profane delight.

• Mar 08, 2013

I Apprecciate CARAVAGGIO,so that's a film to watch !!

I Apprecciate CARAVAGGIO,so that's a film to watch !!

• Nov 13, 2012

It was beautifully shot and lit. Jarman really brought to life the lighting of Caravaggio's paintings where the black of the shadows seeps into the bright reds and the peach pallor of human skin as if it was starting to swallow all whole. Nevertheless, it was a film where I couldn't really understand what the hell was going on. There were just numerous, bizarre scenes that did not seem related to one another.

• Nov 13, 2012

See Distant Voices review in a mo...

See Distant Voices review in a mo...