Deranged - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deranged Reviews

½ September 7, 2017
I enjoyed this strange and creepy film
½ May 7, 2017
Weird low budget AIP retelling of the Ed Gein case, though Roberts Blossom's serial killer character here has been renamed Ezra Cobb (Gein was actually still alive when this film was made). If you're not families with the Gein case, it's the same case that inspired "Psycho" (Gein dug up and taxidermied his mother) and also "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (Gein used human bones for bowls and decorations and made masks from female victims' skin, among other even worse of horrors). If the word deranged describes anyone, Gein would be it. This movie version takes a docudrama approach that doesn't really work, although Blossom's performance, despite a terrible script and dialogue, manages to make Ezra Cobb a compelling character and very nearly elevates this film above B-picture drive-in camp. And although the film is for the most part amateurishly made, it does have some moments that are truly chilling, such as (SPOILER ALERT!) when a woman discovers his Era's room of corpses and him dressed in a woman's skin, or the film's finale when the authorities find Cobb eating a very bloody dinner at his dinner table. Overall, this is a poorly made film, but Blossoms, who for a majority of his career was relegated to supporting parts, gives a very strong performance that transcends the many many weak points of the film.
August 17, 2016
I thought it was a pretty good movie, considering this film had no budget. There are some genuinely creepy moments, which is more than I can say for a lot of expensive horror movies made today. I'd watch it again if I could.
July 7, 2016
One of the most accurate, (if not the most accurate [even though still not 100%] as well as) creepy, raw, disturbing, cold, & bone-chilling film adaptations of the purported macabre life, back, story, upbringing, & crimes revolving around Ed Gein, a name that will forever go down in infamy. Though it's subtle-tongue in cheek humor makes it a cult-classic, this is indeed not only a true Grindhouse film, but also one of the most unsettling descent into madness ever committed to celluloid.
½ March 29, 2016
Probably the most accurate movie about Ed Gein. The performance by Roberts is great. It's a slow, but very gritty and ghoulish movie.
June 3, 2015
Another variation on the Ed Gein story starts out with lots of dark humor but - unfortunately - digresses into a slow-moving horror show.
February 27, 2015
Roberts Blossom (The bearded old boy from Home Alone and John Carpenter's Christine) excellently plays a loner looney intent on killing women upon the orders of his deceased Mother. A direct riff on the Ed Gein story. Has its moments. Of both intentional and unintentional comedy, amongst the dated grue.
September 22, 2014
Another 1974 horror here, this time American set and made.
The film is based on true events behind some early seventies serial killer. Only the character name is fictional, Ezre Cobb. A US farm worker. A loner with an unhealthy obsession with his mother in life and death.
The obsession is unlike Kenneth Williams. Comedy this film ain't.
Cobb comforts his dying mother and psychologically scarred brings her home. Quite literally several months later in a decomposed state from her resting place.
Roberts Blossom plays the main character of the film. He looks the part. A creepy little character.
Background music from church organs adds to the creepy atmosphere.
Cobb starts to recover other decomposing bodies for 'spare' body parts to try and fix his rotting mother.
Cobb soon turns his attentions to living females with his dead mothers anti-female thoughts in his head. Si the gruesome serial killings begin.
The film provides a different angle to similar films of the genre like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and even Silence Of The Lambs nearly 20 years later.
The low budget and creepy music add to the sense of gruesomeness as the film develops.
Yet another film unlikely to fill the schedules on mainstream TV schedules.
July 31, 2014
It wins points on the creep factor alone.
July 27, 2014
I wouldn't go so far as to call Deranged a bad film, or even a good film. It sort of falls in between, but there are lots of images in this film that I'll remember for the rest of my life. The story is essentially a re-telling of Ed Gein, the infamous killer whose exploits have been covered in various different forms in a variety of different horror movies over the years. This film probably adheres to the actual events more closely than any I've ever seen, but it also changes the names of all of the characters and beefs up the story for a little more suspense. After all, we don't know everything that Gein was up to during that period of time. One thing is for sure about the film though, it's very effective. You'll want to take a shower or watch something funny afterwards. The film is pretty well made, with the team behind it including Alan Ormsby and Bob Clark, and Roberts Blossom does a great job. It's not something I'd see more than once, but it's a worth a watch if you're into something that's a little more factual that doesn't hold back on the gory details.
April 23, 2014
Very amusing and delightfully sick horror based on Ed Gein. Roberts Blossom is excellent in the lead role, this film also boasts some of Tom Savini's early makeup work.
½ August 20, 2013
Ed Gein was truly Deranged, and that is who this film is based on only the names and location have been changed. Other films inspired by Ed Gein were Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Silence of the Lambs, but they only took a bite of the cream. Deranged, however, is more about accuracy with a few changes here and there. Roberts Blossom plays the Gein based character Erza Cobb who goes crazy when his over bearing mother dies. Deranged is focused on storytelling and suspense with a few scenes of gore in this low budget pic. Not a bad film I say.
½ April 19, 2013
Yet another film based on the horrendous crimes of Ed Gein. I seem to remember this film being somewhat disturbing and trashy, but really intriguing at the same time.
½ April 7, 2013
An unintentionally hillarious, yet sometimes horrifying horror movie based on the life of Ed Gein although the main character's name is changed.

Roberts Blossom tries his hardest to be scary as Ezra Cobb but his performance comes off as being more camp than anything else.

The murder sequences, although there are only a couple, are handled very well and contain a fair amount of suspense even though the gore is quite low. The movie tells the Gein story quite well and the highlight performance has to come from the actress who plays his mother.

Being a low budget movie, the soundtrack is very limited and it often plays the same portion of music over and over which can become quickly annoying but this is nothing new from low budget horror films of this era.

It's worth seeking out if you are curious about the Ed Gein case or are a Roberts Blossom fan.
March 14, 2013
awesome. creepy, dark and dingy. i read its supposed to actually be pretty close to the actual Ed Gein story. now i want to read about him and know for sure. great film either way.
December 26, 2012
Ezra Cobb is a homicidal mamma's boy--A true bone-chiller!!
½ November 18, 2012
Ed Gein's influence is every place now days!
½ November 15, 2012
Hated it, I thought this movie was very crap and I will not watch this film ever again, I expected better than that, I don't want this on DVD, it was directed by Jeff Gillen, Alan Ormsby, crap movie