Deranged - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deranged Reviews

July 7, 2016
One of the most accurate, (if not the most accurate [even though still not 100%] as well as) creepy, raw, disturbing, cold, & bone-chilling film adaptations of the purported macabre life, back, story, upbringing, & crimes revolving around Ed Gein, a name that will forever go down in infamy. Though it's subtle-tongue in cheek humor makes it a cult-classic, this is indeed not only a true Grindhouse film, but also one of the most unsettling descent into madness ever committed to celluloid.
½ March 29, 2016
Probably the most accurate movie about Ed Gein. The performance by Roberts is great. It's a slow, but very gritty and ghoulish movie.
June 3, 2015
Another variation on the Ed Gein story starts out with lots of dark humor but - unfortunately - digresses into a slow-moving horror show.
February 27, 2015
Roberts Blossom (The bearded old boy from Home Alone and John Carpenter's Christine) excellently plays a loner looney intent on killing women upon the orders of his deceased Mother. A direct riff on the Ed Gein story. Has its moments. Of both intentional and unintentional comedy, amongst the dated grue.
September 22, 2014
Another 1974 horror here, this time American set and made.
The film is based on true events behind some early seventies serial killer. Only the character name is fictional, Ezre Cobb. A US farm worker. A loner with an unhealthy obsession with his mother in life and death.
The obsession is unlike Kenneth Williams. Comedy this film ain't.
Cobb comforts his dying mother and psychologically scarred brings her home. Quite literally several months later in a decomposed state from her resting place.
Roberts Blossom plays the main character of the film. He looks the part. A creepy little character.
Background music from church organs adds to the creepy atmosphere.
Cobb starts to recover other decomposing bodies for 'spare' body parts to try and fix his rotting mother.
Cobb soon turns his attentions to living females with his dead mothers anti-female thoughts in his head. Si the gruesome serial killings begin.
The film provides a different angle to similar films of the genre like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and even Silence Of The Lambs nearly 20 years later.
The low budget and creepy music add to the sense of gruesomeness as the film develops.
Yet another film unlikely to fill the schedules on mainstream TV schedules.
July 31, 2014
It wins points on the creep factor alone.
July 27, 2014
I wouldn't go so far as to call Deranged a bad film, or even a good film. It sort of falls in between, but there are lots of images in this film that I'll remember for the rest of my life. The story is essentially a re-telling of Ed Gein, the infamous killer whose exploits have been covered in various different forms in a variety of different horror movies over the years. This film probably adheres to the actual events more closely than any I've ever seen, but it also changes the names of all of the characters and beefs up the story for a little more suspense. After all, we don't know everything that Gein was up to during that period of time. One thing is for sure about the film though, it's very effective. You'll want to take a shower or watch something funny afterwards. The film is pretty well made, with the team behind it including Alan Ormsby and Bob Clark, and Roberts Blossom does a great job. It's not something I'd see more than once, but it's a worth a watch if you're into something that's a little more factual that doesn't hold back on the gory details.
April 23, 2014
Very amusing and delightfully sick horror based on Ed Gein. Roberts Blossom is excellent in the lead role, this film also boasts some of Tom Savini's early makeup work.
½ August 20, 2013
Ed Gein was truly Deranged, and that is who this film is based on only the names and location have been changed. Other films inspired by Ed Gein were Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Silence of the Lambs, but they only took a bite of the cream. Deranged, however, is more about accuracy with a few changes here and there. Roberts Blossom plays the Gein based character Erza Cobb who goes crazy when his over bearing mother dies. Deranged is focused on storytelling and suspense with a few scenes of gore in this low budget pic. Not a bad film I say.
½ April 19, 2013
Yet another film based on the horrendous crimes of Ed Gein. I seem to remember this film being somewhat disturbing and trashy, but really intriguing at the same time.
½ April 7, 2013
An unintentionally hillarious, yet sometimes horrifying horror movie based on the life of Ed Gein although the main character's name is changed.

Roberts Blossom tries his hardest to be scary as Ezra Cobb but his performance comes off as being more camp than anything else.

The murder sequences, although there are only a couple, are handled very well and contain a fair amount of suspense even though the gore is quite low. The movie tells the Gein story quite well and the highlight performance has to come from the actress who plays his mother.

Being a low budget movie, the soundtrack is very limited and it often plays the same portion of music over and over which can become quickly annoying but this is nothing new from low budget horror films of this era.

It's worth seeking out if you are curious about the Ed Gein case or are a Roberts Blossom fan.
March 14, 2013
awesome. creepy, dark and dingy. i read its supposed to actually be pretty close to the actual Ed Gein story. now i want to read about him and know for sure. great film either way.
December 26, 2012
Ezra Cobb is a homicidal mamma's boy--A true bone-chiller!!
½ November 18, 2012
Ed Gein's influence is every place now days!
½ November 15, 2012
Hated it, I thought this movie was very crap and I will not watch this film ever again, I expected better than that, I don't want this on DVD, it was directed by Jeff Gillen, Alan Ormsby, crap movie
½ October 7, 2012
A great movie that is closet to the true story of ed gein.
½ September 30, 2012
The story of infamous serial killer Ed Gein has been told on film many times before, most notably in "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "Psycho". The low budget film "Deranged" tells the same man's story but was released by American International Pictures, so you pretty much know what you're in for here.

The remarkable thing is that the first half of the movie is unintentionally hilarious, and I fell in love with it almost immediately. Roberts Blossom gives what could be the most memorable performance os his career as Ezra Robb. It's demented and hysterical, sometimes at the same time. Still, my favorite actor in the film was Leslie Carlson as the narrator. He pops up from time to time to intone serious plot details in a wonderfully serious monotone. Every drive-in movie from the '70's should be so lucky to have him.

There is actually one unnerving scene in which a waitress stumbles into Blossom's room of horror and discovers him in his flesh suit. It legitimately works, and from that scene forward the film becomes more serious. I actually found myself involved in this story rather than simply laughing at the campy acting and silly dialogue. I honestly began to make the movie seriously, and it builds to a climax that is frankly kind of suspenseful.

The make-up effects by a young Tom Savini shows promise, and "Deranged" is something of a mixed bag that is ultimately worth watching. It's funny, sometimes creepy and always oddly captivating.
September 15, 2012
woah. This one is amazing. Aside from having Alan "Children shouldn't play with dead things" Ormsby so involved, plus an amazing performance from Roberts Blossom, there is so much authentic grit that there is no way it could fail. Low on gore, but high on creep and brutal, plus really excellent locations and cinematography, Deranged has a real horrid sense about it. Even the "narrator" seems to work, oddly enough.