Deranged - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deranged Reviews

½ August 14, 2012
What can I say.. this film is deranged!
½ August 6, 2012
A great horror flick. A well acted and gruesome classic.
July 27, 2012
How many ways can we retell the story of Ed Gein? Let me count the ways: Psycho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Silence of the Lambs, and the oft-forgotten Deranged. Deranged probably has most in common with Chainsaw Massacre albeit without the extreme gore and violence. Deranged is a subtler but no less unsettling film that combines humor and horror together into an unforgettable exploitation classic that features an aesthetic as seedy as its subject matter.
July 23, 2012
Ed Gein has been the subject of many famous horror films and here we have a very accurate portrayal of his insanity. Perhaps, it's the closest to what he was actually like. That said, it all falls a bit flat. The acting is decent and there are some creepy moments that borderline on psychotic so it's worth checking out if you're a fan of this character. For average horror fans though, it's all a bit dull.
½ June 9, 2012
Not for everybody.. This decent retelling of the ED Gein story is a slow burn that takes awhile and features great acting by character actor Roberts Blossom
½ January 3, 2012
Interesting and worth watching.
TheDudeLebowski65
January 1, 2012
Unique but ultimately unsatisfying, Deranged is one of those films that could have been truly good. Unfortunately the film takes too much time to get to the point. The idea for this film came from the Ed Gein case, unfortunately there's little substance or substance to the story and potentially good horror film ends up being mediocre. There's a good story at work here, unfortunately the director doesn't how to properly deliver it, and the film falls flat, and becomes uninteresting after the first thirty minutes. Robert Blossom is good here; unfortunately his skills can't save this film from being a dud. Deranged is fairly overrated as a forgotten gem, but I beg to differ. This film just didn't cut it, and was pretty boring to be honest. I had high hopes for this film, and I expected something really good, unfortunately this film was a disappointing effort, and actually should be forgotten in my opinion. The film could have been good, unfortunately there are too many aspects of the film that just doesn't feel right, and the actual terrifying bits are more silly than suspenseful and scary. The film is disturbing because of the nature of its story, but it lacks substance. Deranged is a big disappointment and though there's a good performance delivered by Robert Blossom, it's not enough to make this film watchable. Deranged is mostly a tired out film with nothing truly terrifying. Disturbing, but never quite chilling or memorable.
October 15, 2011
This film starts off saying it is entirely true and only the names have been changed. Well of the many times that has been used this is probably the turest.

Based on Ed Gein and his murders/life this film isn't 100% accurate but gets most of it right and Roberts Blossum in the lead role is superb.

Well worth a watch as an old school horror film or a semi historical psychopath film.

Interestingly the Producer Tom Karr was a concert promoter, much of the funds came from profit off concerts by acts such as Led Zepplin, Rod Stewart, and the Temptations.
October 2, 2011
Very grim and frightening at times, but darkly humorous in the same light.
½ September 1, 2011
A decent film inspired by the murders committed by Ed Gein (Who also inspired Psycho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Silence Of The Lambs). While the film has pacing problems and I didn't like the narrator's presence since it seemed like he stripped part of the film's mood with his unwanted character, Deranged is still a good film that is both creepy and disturbing which will make the viewer's skin crawl at certain points because this film definitely doesn't play around with the subject of murder. This is probably the closest to an accurate film about Ed Gein's crimes though and it is worth seeing at least once.
July 30, 2011
Ezra loves his mommy so much that when she dies, he can't bear to leave her in the cold ground so he digs up her dead body and brings her home. I was amazed that she had skin on her face because he dug her up a year after she died. So Ezra tries to make her some skin with wax and then with plastic wrap but it doesn't work so he digs up dead bodies to give mommy some real skin. It was gross and really stupid too. Then Ezra moves on to kill real women for their skin. I couldn't believe that no one noticed that the bodies were missing in the cemetery. I would have at least had a police officer around that area during the night. No one notices anything strange about Ezra and when he talks about having the dead bodies at his house, his friend just laughs. I wouldn't laugh at all but look at him and wonder what he was. It was just a really bad movie.
June 12, 2011
A morbid vision for a boring sunday
April 11, 2011
Something about films based on true events always ads to the disturbance provided.
February 25, 2011
Filmed in Toronto, awesome gore, typical 1970s horror film.
Fucking amazing. Big thanks to Torin for showing me this.
½ February 15, 2011
I think the problem with me watching this film is I've watched it years too late. American Horror has pretty much milked the story of Ed Gein as much as they can and that's pretty much what this story is. Robert Blossom was dame creepy in this film and made me want to search out more of his work. Other than that the news reporter effect was cool. Too bad I hadn't seen this earlier I may have liked it better?
½ January 30, 2011
If not hampered by such a low budget Deranged could have been something really special; as it is it's pretty good. I found it to be darkly funny & I hope that it was intended to be a black comedy. Another take on the Ed Gein legend Roberts Blossom is great even if everyone else is sorta throw away except for that old drunk in the tavern who loves that waitress's sugar boobies & wants to jump on that action. It's too bad when you get old that it just sorta lays there like a piece of dead meat as you gawk on. I have been thinking of remakes this weekend as I watch movies (which is strange for me because I usually hate remakes) but I think Deranged should be remade but as a musical. I think it would make its dark comedy shine through & I think the world is in need of a good necrophilia musical
January 18, 2011
It was once a lost movie that disappeared after some showings at drive in's and then it just vanished but it was discovered again on Video in Asian countries like Japan, China and Korea surfacing on Video around there, and then the negatives were found again in Florida meaning it was fully uncut but this legendary slasher film will always have a place beside me. That and how cool the movie is with all the hard core violence and the all famous head scoping scene. I always liked the idea of it being based on cannibal ed glein who use to decorate his home in body parts.

A man living in rural Wisconsin takes care of his bed-ridden mother, who is very domineering and teaches him that all women are evil. After she dies he misses her, so a year later he digs her up and takes her home. He learns about taxidermy and begins robbing graves to get materials to patch her up, and inevitably begins looking for fresher sources of materials. Based closely on the true story of Ed Gein.

I think the story was the best part with that creepy dark places and all that lighting that puts people off and those long mountain settings. So overall great slasher story. The acting is really good I didn't mind its flaws hitting me but overall enjoyable to watch as well as the man who plays cannibal ED. The special effects are done by Early Tom savini with those plastic skulls littering the rooms...and as well as the gore he sticks into it.
Here some are some facts I found.

Harvey Keitel auditioned for the role of Ezra Cobb.

Producer Tom Karr raised $200,000 budget from the money he earned as a concert promoter for acts such as Led Zeppelin, Three Dog Night, The Temptations and Rod Stewart.

Tom Savini said in an interview that the corpses in the film were made using plastic skull kits which were glued to bodies built of chicken wire and painted cotton. The faces were created by taking plaster castings of various relatives of the crew, including producer Tom Karr's wife

Overall my final verdict is recommended people should see this rare and once lost slasher flick.
½ December 22, 2010
What kind of a sick show is this? Just one nude scene, there show be more.
½ October 21, 2010
Thursday, October 21, 2010

(1974) Deranged
HORROR

Out of all the characters using the "Ed Gein" concept, with the most successful of them all "Psycho" directed by the master of suspense Alfred Hitchcock and "Silence of the Lambs" which the story was taken from a novel but the idea was from Ed Gein as well - I have to say this one is proably the most closest to the character in real life. Not really an autobiography but a facinating character study of an isolated farmer who doesn't know how to react after the decease of his mother in which he kills without explaining any reasons for his actions other than being labelled as disillusional and dysfunctional! The names have been changed but anyone who were to see this should be able to tell that it's just another variation of this demented farmer and well made!

3 out of 4