Sorry, Wrong Number - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sorry, Wrong Number Reviews

December 19, 2012
lots of flashbacks here in this mystery suspenser
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage. Can't recall...
½ October 18, 2012
Visually unintersting, but Stanwyck gives it her best and succeeds.
July 27, 2012
Sorry, Wrong Number started as an extended radio play and a TV show. Because of its huge success, Paramount Studios finally decided to make it into a noir film, and gave the honors of being a director to Anatole Litvak. What begins as a harmless phone call suddenly turns into a fast-paced and riveting story of deception, felony, betrayal, great fear, and death. Bedridden Leona Stevenson (Barbara Stanwyck) eavesdrops on a conversation between two men, and happens to realize that what she just heard is a murder plot that is going to be performed in a few hours. The telephone calls intertwine in a fine manner with the flashbacks, which reveal all the missing links in the storyline. Additionally, the used narrative technique is able to build the tension and form an authentic noir atmosphere. The chilling music plays very well with the most climatic and frightening sequences in the film. As much as Barbara Stanwyck's character is loathsome, the film's gripping storyline, surprising plot twists, great direction and perfect use of the suspense factor account for a movie that every cinephille should watch and admire.
June 14, 2012
Lacks the tight suspense of the radio thriller...too much padding--Pretty Sorry Number!!
½ March 18, 2012
Lol:) awesome movie. It's funny how the movie was so suspenseful even though the main character stayed in bed throughout the movie:) it is a great thriller for its time!
March 10, 2012
This one of the best film noir with Barbara Stanwyck. She is fab and I just love seeing her play this role. It is much different than the femme fatale roles she is known for.
½ January 30, 2012

I would have killed the annoying Leona Stevenson myself...well, maybe smacked her around a bit...Okay, Okay, I would use harsh language to hurt her feelings. Unfortunately, Stanwyck's performance annoyed the shit out of me (I guess she was that good) to the point that, it affected the my RT score. Great ending though.
October 21, 2011
nice intrigue and storytelling, but very artificial
½ October 12, 2011
August 31, 2011
If she would've just tried to get out of that bed once! She was glued to that phone throughout the whole movie! lol! Good movie though. Although she was on the phone the whole time the movie kept my interest.
August 18, 2011
"Sorry, Wrong Number, is truly excellent film noir melodrama. Leona Stevenson (Stanwyck), is a manipulative, bratty woman that's unfortunately crippled, and her life revolves around her telephone-- it's the only thing she has to do. One night, she overhears a conversation over the phone, which sounds like a murder plot. At first, she thinks it's somebody else, but all of the signs leading up to it makes her feel more and more suspicious that it's her. When she's totally convinced, the worst news comes: her husband (Lancaster) is behind all of it! Barbara Stanwyck is seriously one of the best actresses of our time. She was so versatile, comedy with "The Lady Eve", film noir with "Double Indemnity", soap with "My Reputation", and drama with "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers", all movies you should check out anyways. By then, she had proved how good she was in Hollywood, and this beyond all means is a knockout performance. Never once does she overdo it, almost making her sympathetic character real for a minute it, and you can almost feel her fear through her crying and expressions. That Oscar nod was well deserved. Anatole Litvak does a superb job directing. This was actually the same year he made the Academy Award winning drama "The Snake Pit", and I still can't choose which one of the two is better. The scenes here are very well- done, and almost puts you in ever characters position. The story is brilliantly done through flashbacks, which gives a haunting feel to this already creepy movie. "Sorry, Wrong Number" is a very note-worthy film noir that anybody should see. Recommended.
½ July 2, 2011
Slick big budget film noir developed from an half-hour radio script originally starring Agnes Moorhead. Unlike the radio drama which was a virtual monologue by Moorehead, the film uses flashbacks to flesh out the story, which ends up taking away a lot of the suspense the radio drama sustained for it's 30 minutes, but the film does capture a sense of entrapment often felt in film noir.
½ June 19, 2011
Wasn't really into this one. I found Barbara Stanwyck's character overbearing and obnoxious, which is probably an indication that she's a very good actor, but I just wanted her to die.This movie started strong but I hated the characters and so I quickly lost interest.
June 8, 2011
A suspenseful movie, that keeps you watching till the very end.
½ April 16, 2011
Excellent suspense thriller about a spoiled rich invalid who finds herself alone at home and accidentally overhears two men planning a murder. As she tries to alert people, and track down her husband over the phone, a mystery unravels itself at break-neck pace.

I'm going to assume that just about anyone can see where the plot is going from a mile away, but even though it was clear to me immediately at the start of the film, I still enjoyed the remainder. Despite not technically being a film noir, it does borrow most of its characteristics and sets up a threatening atmosphere that endures until the end. The film runs in real time, as the clock in Stanwyck's bedroom clearly shows us. This entire time is filled up with her conversations on the telephone, though the greater part of those are presented in flash-backs as the person on the other end of the line talks. It's crude yet effective, and it manages to slip some very far-fetched plot points right past you before you really realize it.

A lot of this film's durable appeal can once again be credited wholesale to Barbara Stanwyck, who portrays a thoroughly unpleasant character (the word "bitch" gets tossed around so easily nowadays, but here it's appropriate, or perhaps not strong enough) and yet manages to make you feel sort of sorry for her predicament.
March 21, 2011
A sense of paralysis....
½ March 17, 2011
I spent the first 86 minutes hoping Barbara Stanwyck would get what's coming to her and the last 3 minutes praying she'd escape. What a sensational screenplay ( la Lucille Fletcher)!
March 14, 2011
Sorry, Wrong Number is remarkably similar to the recent Ryan Reynolds film, Buried, in that the main characters in both films are in danger and have access to phones--and, theoretically, help--yet find it difficult to express their dire situations to those they call.

Sorry, Wrong Number is based on a radio play and, indeed, seems very theatrical. Normally I love Barbara Stanwyck, but in this film I hated her hysterical, hypochondriac housewife (say that 10 times fast!). And I felt that the whole "Punish the uppity broad" factor was laid on a little thick.

Stanwyck's character, Leona Stevenson, is a rich, bedridden woman who accidentally overhears a conversation between two men discussing a murder on the phone (woot for party lines). While investigating the call, she becomes convinced that the men were plotting HER murder--and that her husband is behind the whole thing!

Sorry, Wrong Number was decent, but not quite suspenseful enough to hold my interest. And Stanwyck's character was dreadfully annoying (which is exactly how she is supposed to be, so hats off to Stanwyck I guess)...I just couldn't muster up the energy to care about her fate.
March 9, 2011
A pretty good suspense film, Stanwyck is great as always.