Ofelas (Pathfinder) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ofelas (Pathfinder) Reviews

September 26, 2015
Amazing movie! If you can read subtitles and still enjoy a film this is a must see. This should be re-released as is. It is a timeless classic. NO CRAPPY HOLLYWOOD REMAKE THANK YOU!!! Thank goodness they didn't re-make it in the 90's, they probably would have used Macaulay Calkin so he could make that aaaaahhhhh face as his family gets slaughtered. I hope I haven't given them any ideas.
½ October 23, 2014
I love it when a film takes us someplace we've never been. With 'Pathfinder' the snowcoverd mountains of Norway provided the setting for a great big action-adventure story.
September 21, 2014
This obscure little film (or at least in the UK) basically sums up the reason why I love world cinema. The first Sami language film, it really does a good job of introducing you to a culture that may be unfamiliar to non-Scandinavian audiences. It certainly sparked my interest in Sami culture. The film itself, set in Lapland 1000 years ago, is based on a Sami folktale. A Sami teenager, Aigin, returns home to find his parents and little sister murdered by the Tchude, and so flees to take refuge in a peaceful village. But the Tchude are in pursuit of him, and realising the danger, most of the village set out over the mountains to the coast for safety, while a vengeful Aigin and a few hunters stand their ground. However, the hunters are no match for the Tchude and are swiftly killed in the ensuing fight, and Aigin himself is kept alive so he can lead them to where the rest of the village is. Brute force has failed to stop the Tchude...now Aigin must use his intellect to defeat them and save the villagers.
It's a simple film, barely clocking in at 90 minutes, but well worth the watch. You actually care for Aigin and the villagers and the villains are genuinely menacing, not cackling Hollywood baddies, but silent, ruthless killers. I sat there, really wanting Aigin to win. It's an emotionally engaging, fascinating and thrilling film and one of the best films I've ever seen.
June 18, 2012
This is a movie most of you have probably never heard of in your life. In fact, I wouldn't have known about it if it weren't for this one random internet list about the top ten "cold" movies. It hada trailer for this movie set to some incredible music, and thus, I was curious to see the movie.

Now, this is a foreign film. It's a foreign film, mind you, that was made in the late 80's and that was never released on DVD stateside, so I had to look all over YouTube to find it. Eventually, I found it in a video titled OFEI_@$ (for copyright... on a film that no one knows about. Yeah, make sense of that), sat down, watched it in full... and oh man, this is one of the best made movies I've ever seen in my life.

Yes, this is a foreign movie with subtitles. Yes, this is just a simple story. And yes, there are probably more amazing movies that will keep your attention. But looking at this for what it is, a coming-of-age story set to an old Sami (think Eskimos, but in Norway) legend... this is a great movie. It has good characters, the actors are descent (I think, this is in a different language after all), and the pacing flows pretty well. I even got to see some culture from a people I wouldn't have known about otherwise. And that's kind of cool.

So yeah, if you want to see an interesting mythology movie (which are kind of rare. nowadays), check this out. You might have to do some searching, but I do believe it's worth it.

P.S. There was a movie made in 2007 called Pathfinder, that is basically an American remake of this movie. Skip it. On top of having nothing to do with this movie, it just plain sucks. That is all.
June 16, 2011
Superb nail biting chase thriller. Awesome chase scenes with bows, arrows & skis. Incredible this film is so little known.
½ December 20, 2010
BORING! Had to watch this in Norwegian class... Grammar tasks would've been way more pleasant. Then again, I hate movies where I don't understand the spoken language, so it's not suprising that I didn't like it.
May 6, 2010
It is a shame there has been no DVD release for this outstanding Norwegian film. This Academy Award film is worth searching for. This film is evidence that a large scale budget is not needed for terrific entertainment and filmmaking art. The film is about a group of nomadic killers who slaughter a family - except the teenage son who observed the tragedy. He is captured by the group, but his plans for revenge remain. Tense and gripping throughout.
½ April 25, 2010
A very well done, well crafted Foreign film. Its a very interesting and exciting story based on an old Sami myth. A brilliant and cultural cinematic experience. If I had to choose between this and "The Last Samurai", I would choose "The Pathfinder".
½ March 27, 2010
Not really too keen on norwegianmade movies, but it was ok.
January 4, 2010
A little known movie with a lot of heart. I'm most likely bias towards this film due to the fact that I grew up in a Finnish community & have a affinity with the Laplander culture. At face value this film has some terribly cheesy effects (the worst bear hunt you ever saw), rudimentary acting & a pretty simple plot that is somewhat predictable. To me this film is pure, like clean snow in which it took place. The violence wasn't glorified, it had a love story without any sex scenes & it's story line was simple & not convoluted.
½ December 12, 2009
this film actually taught me something valuable
½ December 8, 2009
A realy good norwegian movie.
December 2, 2009
if anybody knows where to get it in formt sutable for watching on computer,
½ September 23, 2009
This is the first Lapp film that I've seen. It was quite an experience. It is definitely NOT a family film. It scared an 8 year old out of his mind and sent 2 teenaged girls out of the room in tears. Yes, it is a fierce story that has a lot of graphic cruelty. But the film also had the power to pull me so far into the story that I was wondering how the hero will pull it off, forgetting that it was a film. Now that's an achievement considering the film's provenance.

The photography was excellent, the acting was somewhat unusual to me. But it did convey, effectively, a whole cultural outlook. The enemy Tchudes were vicious plunderers that took everything, even the lives, of a peaceful and generous people. How to fight this well armed group of psychopaths seemed to be impossible. But inventiveness and good does win out. The romantic ending was boffo because the hero really gets the girl.

A mutli-region DVD player is a must for any film buff who wishes to explore this wide world of international cinema.
½ August 2, 2009
I found "Pathfinder" pretty disappointing. Not seen many lapland flicks before, and I doubt there will be many more. Cool to see "Hrafninn flýgur" star Helgi Skúlason and he's stone face again, tho.
May 16, 2009
nominated for best foreign film at the oscars
½ March 29, 2009
This story of Aigin is over a thousand years old and the first movie filmed in the Sami Language! No-one (most of the world) knows about the Sami, but check this out and you are in for a brilliant cultural and cinematic experience. Too bad Save didn't make any more films-
February 28, 2009
Storslagen samisk spillefilm. Kampen mot tsjudene er ikke lett å glemme. Stemingsfull om samiske legender. Nominert til beste utenlandske film. Vant ikke, men hadde verdt en verdig vinner som fortjener et STORT publikum. Sett første gang på kino i Kirkenes høsten 1989. Deretter 7. januar 2006.
January 9, 2009
Proof that bodge fake schnellers are shit and that only movies made in America are any good.You have to read bloody subtitles for the whole thing,and who wants to do that?
December 27, 2008
An old Laplander myth, beautifully told