Daddy Long Legs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Daddy Long Legs Reviews

September 6, 2016
Lovely to see a film that shows that love knows no boundaries. Also, very nice dancing.
April 18, 2016
The song and dance is nothing out of the ordinary for Fred Astaire. The story was kind of creepy though. It was a colorful movie that wasn't bad. I think it is similar in style to An American in Paris, but Daddy Long Legs isn't as good. (First and only viewing - 4/14/2016)
½ January 17, 2016
If Fred Astaire wasn't such a gentleman this movie coulda been pretty uncomfortable. As it is, he is one, and it still is uncomfortable. BUT c'est la vie, she's an orphan and I feel like Freud would approve. It's a cute movie, Leslie Caron is adorable and the dancing is all good. I wish the songs were catchier and I wish the two had more of a spark really but alas. Very jealous of her wardrobe trunks and all of the dresses in them.
October 24, 2014
Not much mid-Century meat here other than Fred Astaire hoofin' it, alluring Leslie Caron ... plus a couple of strong Johnny Mercer numbers.

The plotline/action doesn't once get deeper than the basic book, that being a middle-aged mid-Century man's ultimate fantasy. Astaire's a 50ish gazillionaire running his corporate conglomerate from behind a big fat desk atop some Manhattan skyscraper. Then he chances into funding a 16-year-old French orphan's Boston College experience (anonymously). Then when she's 19 (and 'fair game') he, of course, turns the letch hanging around the freshman formal to get a gander (anonymously). Then he, of course, turns up to court and woo her (using a pseudonym, of course). The wooing is then interrupted by cold feet and wistful longing ... until graduation day ... of course.

In the end, of course, the two woo quite successfully. No surprise since, as the jeweler in the film says, "It's been our experience that a diamond of that quality never comes back."

This is a dance vehicle and so the viewer shouldn't expect much more. Well, actually the viewer SHOULD expect more, since there's a bit too much vapid story and a bit too little song and dance. "Dream (When You're Feeling Blue)" and "Something's Gotta Give" are the best tunes. The former merely lilts in the background'; Fred & Leslie duet the latter, throats 'n' toes, and it's pretty pedestrian. The most interesting dance number is actually a solo Astaire in a hokey cowboy spur-clickin' number. Caron's "girl-loses-man malaise dream" dance number plays out far too high-brow and 'modern' for 1955 popcorn-munchers.

The best part of the romancing is Caron's incredible ability to convincingly portray a very young girl delectably caving to the advances of a much older man. When Astaire cracks a wry smile toward Caron after she accepts his proposal, it looks a lot less like his acting out romantic satisfaction ... and a lot more like his admiration and acknowledgment of her talented delivery to the camera.

Color by DeLuxe; CinemaScope. Visually, the film has survived time well. The color composition ramps up within the dance costumes and numbers but, in terms of cinematography, there's nothing else special here.

RECOMMENDATION: For Astaire completists ... and anyone who needs a second dose of Caron's stagecraft after viewing "Gigi." Everyone else can simply advance directly to "Go" and collect $200..
½ August 21, 2014
The original "daddy" is apparently Fred Astaire. Smh.
April 22, 2014
Solid movie, not so good from the musical aspect, but the story and characters are good enough to make up for the musical deficiencies.
½ September 15, 2013
Old old old Fred Astaire falls in love with young young young Leslie Caron in this beautifully photographed and designed film. If you can get past the age difference, it's a real charmer and one of the better non-MGM musicals.
June 22, 2013
This is so cute.
???????????????????????????????????????? ??????????
April 12, 2013
A charming Astaire film. As always, there are memorable dance scenes throughout the entire movie.
bbcfloridabound
February 20, 2013
This is my first Fred Astaire Movie, I stayed away from him for many years pass as I thought it would be something that I would watch 5 minutes and tirn off, boy was I wrong. 20 Minutes into this movie I found a real talent that we will never see on the screen again in this lifetime. This man could play the drums, he could sing, and everyone knows he could dance. The film has been reviewed by a millin others my reveiw can be said in a couple of words. Worth Watching. 5 stars 2-18-13
February 6, 2013
Not my favourite Astaire movie but enjoyable to watch and visually appealing. The slightly incestuous relationship between Daddy Long Legs (Astaire) and the 18 year old orphan he adopts (Caron) is at times a little disturbing. That this can be a romantic relationship, although no genetic relationship exists, just seems a little wrong to me. Apart from that some lovely dance sequences and beautifully filmed makes an enjoyable musical.
½ February 6, 2013
This last remake (thus far) of the Jean Webster novel Daddy Long Legs was extensively revised to accommodate the talents of Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron.
January 24, 2013
A globe-trotting playboy, on the spur of the moment, decides to sponsor an eighteen year old girl in a French orphanage. Eventually, he meets her and falls in love with her. The film lacks narrative and, most disappointingly, rhythm. However, it really comes alive quite predictably with the musical numbers, particularly with the dreamy sequences.
½ December 12, 2012
wohoooo,,,,,fred astaire delivered it nicely <3 this :)
August 23, 2012
Je n'ai pas vu les autres adaptations du roman de Jean Webster du même nom, mais cette version de 1955 est plutôt ordinaire. Pas du tout le meilleur de Fred Astaire qui, lui-même n'est pas à son meilleur! Les danses sont intéressantes, mais l'histoire manque d'un quelque chose. Le tout n'est pas suffisamment fluide et travaillé qu'il aurait dû être. Regardable, mais sans plus.
½ August 6, 2012
A 50-something year old man and an 18 year old woman is a little creepy when seen at face value. Fortunately, Astaire and the film acknolwedge the age difference and they keep it friendly for the entire film. It is really about two lonely people from different worlds finding something in common. I actually liked the love story presented here. Some nice songs, but the dancing by Astaire and Leslie Caron is what it is all about.

Grade: B+
May 13, 2012
Fred shows off his feet
May 5, 2012
The artist is no match for this movie. In this film there is an incredibly crew. Fred Astaire did a great job with this film. This a true musical.
April 20, 2012
Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron; how can you go wrong? I love the song "Somethin's Gotta Give" from this movie!!
½ November 20, 2011
BORiNG!
Except Thelma Ritter and Fred Clark performances.