The Secret Garden - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Secret Garden Reviews

January 15, 2009
That kid can yell alot...
December 18, 2008
O'Brien is definitely my favorite Sarah. The adults cast in the parts are also big +'s. I wish it was on DVD. . .
September 20, 2008
A COOL MOIVE!!! this movie has animals and i love animals!!!
½ September 11, 2008
I viewed _The Secret Garden_(1949) in my Children's Literature into Film Class this summer 08. This movie is adapted from the novel _The Secret Garden_ by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I recommend you read the novel first because this film makes changes from the novel. I give this film three in half stars because; although, this version keeps to the plot of the novel the girl actress seems to old for the age of the character.
September 2, 2008
Ha ha! This is an excellent movie I saw this summer on holiday in the fair distant countryside of Finland. It is so bad it's actually good, I hate the children because I tend to not like childactors in general, but these kids are especially annoying. Which in this context of a really horrible movie becomes just a total inferno of bad things coming together resulting in - yes, you guessed it - an great Sunday-afternoon film and in a way I'd like to say watching this and liking it is very kitsch. Though the actual film in itself of course is not kitsch at all.
August 21, 2008
Ihan ok tulkinta (ja tiivistelma) kirjasta, hiukan erilaisin painotuksin vain.
August 12, 2008
Not what I thought it was...Hannah was into it, Will watched some too - especially when the boy was throwing a fit!
½ July 25, 2008
I just got done watching the worst movie ever put together. I'm not joking...puting a power drill to my kneecap would have been more enjoyable than this movie. I was forced to watch it against my will by my grandmother and younger sister, and I will never forgive them for it. Will sombody save me?...please?
½ July 19, 2008
Wonderful performances, and beautiful set design, make this film a definite must-see. No studio could match MGM's lush approach, and stylized sets seen in [i]The Secret Garden[/i] bring the script alive, in a fashion no "location" filming could have accomplished. Utilizing a "partial" Technicolor application seen in [i]The Wizard of Oz[/i] and [i]The Women,[/i] MGM manages to provide an emotional punch when it is most needed. Magaret O'Brien is perfect in the lead, and minor supporting roles are cast to perfection. A few of the scenes are surprisingly creepy. Although, today, the film is labeled as "family," it can be surprisingly harsh, with none of the treacle that sinks many a movie intended for the general audience.
July 8, 2008
I guess I wasn't patient enough with this movie. Between the brattiness of the girl and the horrible set/scenery, I had to turn it off! I am opting to see the remake soon.
June 10, 2008
I could watch it 1 mill. times
June 9, 2008
Great movie for all ages that love a HAPPY ending
March 31, 2008
Margaret O'Brien was the star of the late 40s and early 50s... and for good reason. Her flawless performance is truly enchanting, and she truly brings out the best in the entire ensemble. With a beautiful set design and a wonderfully (and not overdone) use of technicolor, this movie captures all that The Secret Garden should be.
March 27, 2008
not too bad for an older movie
March 26, 2008
Even the most irritating of children (a displaced daughter of deceased upperclass Englishparents, or a spoiled cripple, take your pick) can mellow out in the presence of a technicolor garden. Bitter old hunchback fogeys can, too.
March 23, 2008
Amazing! I love this story and the movie was great! Maybe a little rushed, but still good.
March 23, 2008
i dont know why i love this movie so much. i can watch it over and over again.
March 22, 2008
I love the classics, I always wanted my very own secret garden.
½ March 6, 2008
Very cool Wizard of Oz-esq effects and feel to certain elements.

The Raven (animal actor) was amazing!

Baby Dean Stockwell is very good as Colin.
½ January 2, 2008
its such an educational thing but mischiviose