The Field - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Field Reviews

July 6, 2016
without a doubt one of the best acting performances I've ever seen from Richard Harris ,mesmerising from start to finish
March 16, 2015
A nice film with strong performances from Richard Harris, Sean Bean, John Hurt, and Brenda Flicker. Great score and cinematography too
October 4, 2014
All the characters are just stupid fucking idiots who deserved everything they got. It's generally a bad sign when you're rooting for the bad guys in a movie; I just wanted Bull McCabe to fail at everything he did, he was such a self-righteous indignant jackass. And what the fuck was John Hurt doing? A grating, irritating mess.
July 6, 2014
A deeply sorrowful tragedy about an old man whose sole purpose of existence in guarding the land his father painstakingly nurtured into fertile fields brings him losses far beyond the price of his heritage.
½ September 6, 2013
Richard Harris delivers a magnificent performance of Shakespearian tragic dimensions as the Terrible Old Man of the the grim, powerful film, The Field. This picture has many of the same plot elements as John Ford's The Quiet Man, but where Ford's movie shows the Hollywood fantasy of what every Irish American like Ford would like Ireland to be, The Field depicts the reality of centuries of suffering scraping a near starvation minimum in the best years from the soil taken by foreign landlords centuries before and the horror of the Great Famines that plagued Ireland in the 19th century whose effects are felt there to this day. The beauty of the land is shown in both films, and the audible haunting beauty of the music is heard in both, but the mood of The Quiet Man's soundtrack is joyful and charming, like Ford's sentimental film, while the melancholic tones of The Field reflect the great sorrows of Ireland's fatalistic reality in the 1930s, as does the 1990 movie. Not an enjoyable experience to watch, but the cathartic experience of a great tragedy like Othello, where a man also loses what he loves most through his obsession.
August 20, 2013
This film explores similar themes to Manon of the Spring and Jean de Florette. Those films do it far more effectively. Harris is fantastic as could be expected. Any shortcomings are not attributable to him.
August 3, 2013
This really has to be seen due to the unbelievable performance of Richard Harris, and for me one of the greatest in the history of cinema. A great comical turn from John Hurt as the village simpleton.
May 27, 2013
Awesome movie, loved it!
½ May 7, 2013
Superb performance by Harris. Well worth watching, and the bad reviewers shouldbe ashamed of themselves. If only for Harris's powerhouse performance, this is worth viewing.
½ April 25, 2013
The Field. I went into it with skepticism but Richard Harris was just unbelievable. The detail they went into with his character was sickening. Entertaining the whole way through. I was torn between deciding who was right. Raw drama the whole time, absolutely loved it. 9/10
April 6, 2013
for what its worth the field will show you a simple empoverished rural ireland in the 1930s and may make you laugh even though its not suppose to be funny. now who will dance with this tinker..
March 18, 2013
What an amazing film. Any critic who gave this a bad review is worthless.
February 16, 2013
An Irish farmer upon encountering the possibility of losing the land he has been renting for years when competition arises with the arrival of a wealthy American, comes in contact with his darker side. Sheridan's film loses power by giving way to clichés and sentimentalism to appeal more easily to a wider audience. In this way, he is a little untrue to the original work by John B. Keane. Nevertheless, The Field has a great performance by Richard Harris that is worthy of praise.
May 17, 2011
El orgullo correoso irlandà (C)s
½ May 14, 2011
Tragic yet powerful tale of a Father stretching beyond the limits to keep a patch of land for his family. Although he claims to do this out of love, the consequences for his lawlessness, and his betrayal of moral conduct are answered.

Performances were believable, but I think the direction missed the ball it terms of where it could have brought the audience emotionally.

I feel that this movie could be very well remade by the Coen Brothers due to it's tone and story. Maybe with Daniel Day Lewis as the lead?
May 1, 2011
"It's my field. It's my child. I nursed it. I nourished it. I saw to its every want. I dug the rocks out of it with my bare hands and I made a living thing of it!"
Jaysus, a powerful performance and a powerful film. You would tend to forget!
March 20, 2011
Very moving film. Great acting. Both beautiful and Tragic.
November 18, 2010
King Lear in a bog. But better then that sounds.

Based on the stage play of the same name, itself inspired by real events that took place in Kerry in 1959, the film has pretty firm parochial roots. Its also buttered up by a presentation that is occasionally too 'Oirish' for its own good.

There is a feeling of archaic-ness, that it glosses over something with its theatrical representation of country folk, but still, it has some powerful moments, usually when the Bull McCabe is onscreen.

Richard Harris gives a towering performance as Bull (garnering his second and final oscar nomination) and John Hurt is barely recognisable (in a good way) as 'Bird' O'Donnell.

An improvement on the play as well.

P.s. to correct Roger Ebert's review: Sean Beans character is spelt 'Tadhg.' and he isn't meant to be retarded. !?

pps Don't mind the terrible trailer for this on Flixster.
October 28, 2010
Richard Harris as The Bull is what makes this a rough edged gemstone,,, a man of the land! shame about the melodramatic ending