Cyrano De Bergerac - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cyrano De Bergerac Reviews

½ June 11, 2016
Gerard was made for this role.
April 6, 2016
Rostand's play,"Cyrano de Bergerac" is brought to life in this wonderful film. I consider it a perfect visualization of the story with NO stupid Hollywood drivel detracting from and debasing the lessons of the original work.
March 10, 2016
Intricate level of detail accompanies this thought provoking tragedy; unfortunately, so does a crumbly third act and flat secondary characters
½ April 29, 2015
Edmond Rostand's classic story comes to life in this 1990 adaptation.
Gerard Depardieu has recently become a parody of himself, the fat Frenchman who drinks a vineyard and a half every day, and that makes it easy to forget how energetic, poetic, and compelling he once was. He gives a tour de force performance in this film, actually challenging Jose Ferrer for the best Cyrano.
The problem with story is that it's hard to believe that a man as arrogant as Cyrano wouldn't try to sink or swim with Roxanne on his merits. So there has to be an element of self-conscious insecurity to his scenes with her, and while that's not altogether missing from Depardieu's performance, it's still not clear why Cyrano wouldn't pursue her on his own behalf.
Vincent Perez actually brings a strength to the hapless role of Christian.
Overall, this is one of the best versions of a classic story.
½ February 21, 2015
The most interesting thing about this French period drama was making comparisons to the other adaptation you've probably seen, Steve Martin's Roxanne. I wasn't aware of this but it soon becomes aparent. Either this film's screenplay was written by a drunk or the English subtitles were as it is largely gibberish. I got through it and understood it, just.
November 4, 2014
Earning Gerard Depardieu an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor, Cyrano de Bergerac sounded like a great chance to experience world cinema.

As Cyrano de Bergerac is an adaptation of a play turned into a film, it has limited appeal to me because I am not very big on theatrical productions. And plus with all the glamourous focus on imagery, it largely seems like the film is a costume drama which similarly is not a particular genre I am fond of. But the passion in the film is undeniable. Despite being a costume drama which is largely Shakespearian and built around a tale of tragic romance, Cyrano de Bergerac takes all the best elements from these aspects and crafts a story which is touching and sentimental, if somewhat long and slow.
Cyrano de Bergerac is a film which you'd think I wouldn't like, but I loved it. Despite the romantic premise being a rather overused one, considering that it came from 1897 you can't complain too much as it being transferred into modern day cinema is done quite effectively. A lot of what is told in the story is really a touching sentiment, and even though the story in the film seems a bit repetitive, there is a lot of love in it. Director Jean-Paul Rappeneau really pours his heart into the film and succeeds in making it a magnificent spectacle of French cinema as well as being a touching dramatic piece. He makes use of a strong script that brings along a lot of the insightful concepts from the original play and turns them into well placed explorations of characters and emotions. The script itself is brilliant because it brings a lot of strong characters to the film and then puts them in a variation of emotionally complex situations which Jean-Paul Rappeneau maintains with ease. He puts a lot of heart into the film which ensures that the material flourishes and ends up rich in atmosphere, making it both an enjoyable viewing and a dramatically powerful one.
As an adaptation of a stage play, Cyrano de Bergerac is brilliant. While the film has enough amazing visual elements to be a grand spectacle of a film, the cast in the film all follow a traditionally theatrical style of acting. It is difficult for a film to maintain a large scale as a focus on its political context and also a small scale to put emphasis on the relevance of the characters and their relationships, but it ends up directed to easy success under the firm hand of Jean-Paul Rappeneau. He makes it a beautiful film, and the fact that it did not win the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language film when it is so worthy of it and scored many other nominations really comes as a surprise to me. It must have had some serious competition in 1990.
Cyrano de Bergerac is also packed with memorable imagery thanks to the beautiful nature of the scenery and fine production design, as well as the Academy Award winning costumes. It all helps to easily establish the time period and setting of the film easily, and it is all captured with incredibly well placed cinematography. Cyrano de Bergerac is a magnificent visual spectacle which helps to elevate the film beyond some of its narrative limitations. The musical score of the film is also wonderful as it gives the feature a large scaled atmosphere and it dramatizes a lot of the moments really well. The entire film is excellently stylish, and it justifies adapting the text to cinematic screen really easily. Cyrano de Bergerac is a magnificent example of a great play adaptation which is on par with Kenneth Branagh's excellent adaptation of Henry V from the prior year with stylish and dramatic power which comes fiercley close.
But one of the most truly brilliant aspects of Cyrano de Bergerac is the leading performance of Gerard Depardieu.
Gerard Depardieu truly commands the screen in Cyrano de Bergerac. His performance is ripe with excellent theatrical skill along the lines of Shakespearian quality, yet with a more humane level of subtlety to it. He crafts an engaging character out of protagonist because you can tell that he just truly loves the role. He anchors the heart of the film with his remarkable performance in the titular role. It is a truly marvellous performance because it is so beautifully theatrical with incredibly dramatic line delivery and physical involvement that it is unforgettable. In a performance easily worthy of an Academy Award nomination, Gerard Depardieu delivers a performance which is just magnificent. Whenever he is present on screen he finds a way to draw audiences in because he brings a lot of sympathy to the role, and his line delivery is consistently energetic with physical movements. He says his words with maximum involvement in the role to the extent that it is practically poetic, and it is perfectly theatrical without being too melodramatic to pass on cinematic terms. Gerard Depardieu's performance is one of the greatest things about Cyrano de Bergerac which ensures that it is touching on a human level and memorable for its cast.
Vincent Perez also makes a memorable effort. As the young and naive Christian de Neuvillette, Vincent Perez has a lot of confident charisma in his part during the right scenes while maintaining appropriate uncertainty in others. He stands strong in the role with a natural charm and maintains a strong chemistry with Gerard Depardieu. His involvement in the role is determined and well spirited which makes him a truly genial presence, so he makes a fine addition to the cast in Cyrano de Bergerac with his handsome demeanour rendering him a likable figure.
Anne Brochet also provides a sympathetic performance.

So despite its extensive length and slow pace, Cyrano de Bergerac maintains all the finest dramatic elements of its theatrical roots while having enough style to succeed as a cinematic spectacle which renders it a well-acted and colourful costume drama led by a magnificent performance from Gerard Depardieu.
March 21, 2014
The movie captures the original text's spirit magnificently, with its
soft-hearted delight, momentum of action and vigour already invoked by
the soundtrack in the opening credits. Dépardieu is a true Cyrano here
and plays his role with convincing force and panache. However, the
production is sometimes over-acted and contains some clichéd scenes.
April 25, 2013
Cyrano de Bergerac. Opening scene with Depardieu was incredible. Total love story from start to finish. Good message but not my kind of movie. Solid story with a great lead. Reminded me a lot of the old Romeo and Juliet, but too lovey dovey for my taste. Overall solid drama. Didn't like the end of the story, however great job by cameraman always putting emphasis on his big nose cause that's what he's known for. In summation, well done but it's one of those movies where you are happy when it's over, enojoyed it a good amount, but immediately know that you will never see it again. 6 not higher than 6.5/10
½ April 21, 2013
The verses of Edmon Rostand are incredible. Not just a love story (as many people, including myself, believed), but the story of a man who follows his way of life in spite of all troubles that it implies. It is not broadly known that Cyrano was a real person, and that lots of things that are told in the play about him are true (including some of his writings and ideas).
April 14, 2013
beautiful adaptation of the play!
April 8, 2013
Cyrano de Bergerac is a film that has one overriding theme and that is Carpe Diem - seize the day. Though such a thing does not happen in this movie, it shows us that it is something that we should do. We cannot let our love kindle unspoken, especially when the woman that our love is focused on so dearly wants to hear. In my opinion, it is not something that should be done for I feel that we need to be tactful in regards to the woman that we speak with and shouldn't overwhelm them, but in Cyrano's case he feels that his nose makes him hideous and that Roxanne won't want anything to do with him, which is not true as you learn at the end. When it comes down to self-doubt then it should be cast away. One should be tactful, but one should not attack oneself in belief that no woman would even want him.
February 15, 2013
Depardieu is brilliant and the classic character. His external features force him to become witty even as he flashes his sword around. For me the scenery was sublimely beautiful.
December 7, 2012
Cyrano de Bergerac was a very energetic and passionate movie. The actor that played Cyrano did such a great job. The enthusiasm and power that he put into the role was amazing. I love how Cyrano was so prideful. He had his own path and he did not care who he pissed off. I also enjoyed how the ending was not a happy ending. I feel the way they ended it was more believable than the way an american would of ended it, with the guy getting the girl and living happily ever after. The directer is Jean-Paul Rappeneau. He is a french film director, screenwriter, and actor. Rappeneau is known for creating the most elaborate film version of Cyrano de Bergerac. The film was one of the most expensive French films ever produced. A great idea is the idea about how people think very superficial about themselves. This idea is seen throughout the whole film. In the beginning Cyrano freaks out at a man in the theater and ends up in a sword and word battle with the guy because he makes fun of his nose. Also Cyrano feels no woman would want him just because of his nose. Even in the end when he is told that Roxanne loved whoever wrote the letters and did not care if the person was ugly, Cyrano still waited until his death was eminent to let her know he wrote the letters. Another good idea is that a man should stand up for what he believes in. Cyrano shows this constantly throughout the movie. First when he is in the bathhouse and Comte De Guiche comes to ask him a question. Cyrano could get one of his plays put on stage but he would have to join Comte De Guiche. Cyrano basically spits in his face and does not respect the man. The largest thing that stood out to me that made this movie French was the fact that it did not have a happy ending. If this were an American film Cyrano would of ended with Roxanne and Christian would not of died. But with having Christian die and Cyrano not tell Roxanne he loves her we get this interesting ending where no one ends up happy. It has a very dark Shakespearian feel to it. Another thing from the movie that was very French was that you were entertained by more words than fighting. In an American film there would of been more fighting and less word play, but in the French movie the people are more proud of being able to speak more diverse than be rich.
December 7, 2012
Want to see it! Will have to take into account!
½ November 3, 2012
The most exquisitely acting by Gepard Depardieu yet!
½ October 5, 2012
warm, intelligent, entertaining.
½ October 1, 2012
Looks amazing, but I miss the Amercanized version a little.
½ September 25, 2012
Good movie...liked the "earlier versions" better but this will do for "modern" audiences