Fury - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fury Reviews

½ November 10, 2015
Fury is an amazing film. It is about a young man who is falsely arrested on kidnapping charges. Spencer Tracy and Sylvia Sidney give fantastic performances. The screenplay is well written. Fritz Lang did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and mystery. Fury is a must see.
October 11, 2015
Powerful examination of mob (in)justice.

A man, Joe Wilson (played by Spencer Tracy), travels across state to meet his fiance/girlfriend, Katherine (played by Sylvia Sidney). Along the way he is mistaken for a kidnapper, arrested and held in the local jail. The local townspeople, through gossip and stupidity, then take it upon themselves to punish him, burning down the jail, with him in it. However...

The buildup to and execution of the lynching scene are brilliant. Famed director Fritz Lang builds the feeling of injustice and powerlessness on the part of the authorities and accused to do anything about it. By the time the scene occurs, the viewer's anger levels are sky-high. Very powerful storytelling by Lang.

At this point the movie was a damning indictment on mob mentality. Politicians, shown pandering to the media and thinking about elections rather than the safety of their citizens, don't come off looking too good either.

So far, so good - very true to life.

However, the remainder of the movie, while still good, was not as convincing, focused or powerful. What follows feels a bit contrived, and even makes the victim into the villain. The ending was more about sentimentality than profundity and was a bit unsatisfying.

Overall, a good movie, but could have been a masterpiece.
½ June 12, 2015
Fritz Lang's (Metropolis, "M") first American movie after fleeing Nazi Germany before World War II. Spencer Tracy turns in another terrific performance as an innocent man confronted by a lynch mob. Lang's genius captures the madness of lynch mob mentality in profound images reminiscent of "M" thus proving his status as one of the greatest directors of all time. If you think you know what happens you are wrong. The twists in this story are stunning and profound. I've never seen another story like it..
March 15, 2015
We're guilty. We're all guilty.

A man on his way to see his fiancée is driving through the Midwest on his way to propose to her when he is mistaken for a mafia boss and arrested by the police. He is held in a jail which is viciously attacked by the locals that want to lynch him. The locals set the jail on fire in desperation of getting at the innocent man and all hell breaks loss for everyone.

"I could smell myself burn."

Fritz Lang, director of M, Metropolis, Harakiri, Destiny, You Only Live Once, Western Union, House by the River, and The Woman in the Window, delivers Fury. The storyline for this picture is well written and fairly intricate. The acting was very good and the cast includes Spencer Tracy, Sylvia Sidney, Walter Abel, Walter Brennan, and Bruce Cabot.

"In this country people don't land in jail unless you're guilty."

I came across this picture on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) this past month and had to DVR it. I am a Spencer Tracy fan and he was very solid in this movie. This wasn't my favorite film of his, but he was a very clever and unique character. This is a classic movie worth a viewing.

"An impulse is an impulse, it's like an itch, you have to scratch it."

Grade: B
March 6, 2015
An investigation into tyranny of the mob. Not especially groundbreaking, but a timeless theme.
February 22, 2015
Two super intense performances by Tracy and Sidney anchor this revenge drama by Fritz Lang. The Waxman score is unusually understated with many passages of silence and the mob building shot in the bar is about 70 years ahead of its time.
January 20, 2015
A breathtaking melodrama so depressing and masterfully crafted that will keep resonating in the history of filmmaking. A great performance by Tracy.
August 25, 2014
This was the first American film by the great Fritz Lang, best known for M and Metropolis, and is considered an important predecessor to film noir. It's a very dark film for 1936 that deals with the issue of lynching, a tough one to tackle at the time. Spencer Tracy plays an ordinary Joe who is falsely accused of a crime, sending a small town into a mad rage. I don't want to spoil what happens from there, but suffice to say it's powerful stuff, with a couple of really intense, memorable sequences. It's a morally ambiguous film that led the way for whole generations of noir antiheroes and alienated protagonists. While it does feel somewhat compromised by its obligatory happy ending (as so many films from before the 1960s were), this is still quite an impressive and important film.
August 1, 2014
An excellent movie about the wrongs of justice in a lynching case excellent cast staring Slvia Sidney,Spencer Tracy, and an excellent supporting cast.
October 22, 2013
Great 30s film, if a tad melodramatic and preachy in some places for my taste. But the story - an innocent men who is horribly lynched - or more accurately thought to be lynched - and then engineers a trial against the lynch mob from "beyond the grave" is compelling and well-acted...and still, in so many ways, pertinent today. Sure open lynching doesn't happen in little country towns in the USA anymore, but it happens (just like in this film) in the gossip-fueling, scandal-loving media, in the judiciary when due process is ignored, and of course in many government bodies behind the scenes. This film's third act is a fairly predictable (but very well-delivered) courtroom drama, but the more compelling 2nd act is really gripping, and disturbing. Yet it only skims the psychology of the irresistible compulsion to join a mob set on "presumed" justice, the issue is so deep and actually pretty terrifying. I get the willies just thinking about it. I get the willies thinking about how close men can be to this type of behavior. That's why films like Fury....and The Ox-Box Incident, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Evil Angels...have an importance beyond entertainment.
½ September 22, 2013
Fritz Lang is a genius director, so attentive to details. Film is somewhat moralising but very strong.
January 26, 2013
I watched Fritz Lang's great masterpiece again. The point of view tracking shot of the mob approaching the jail is one of the most disturbing moments in all of cinema. That camera movement encompasses and surpasses Michael Haneke's entire filmography.
½ January 17, 2013
love how this movie is still relevant to today's world. it's a good example how and where civil citizen should react to some justice case. overall it's a memorable movie :)
October 7, 2012
lang plus tracy = powerful movie making
April 19, 2012
I dont care to watch.
March 8, 2012
Lang's first American film is the only one to still display the visual flair of his Weimar period. A wonderful film and a must see!
December 19, 2011
might have to get a Lang tattoo! Loving his films.
December 2, 2011
Tracy became a star from this performance, after years of honing his craft doing stuff that he was the best thing in them. His power can still be felt. Watch and learn.
September 11, 2011
I have come to the conclusion that Fritz Lang's movies have a lot of action and peripeteia. More than you would expect from real American directors. In the first 25 minutes, I thought it was going to be a Hitchcockian thriller about a man with a lost identity and a love interest. At a sudden turn point of events, the whole narrative takes an interesting sort of twist which was surprising and it was hard to see where this movie was going. By the end of the film, you realize that this film has been a story about morals and conscience.
½ July 29, 2011
An couple (Spencer Tracy and Sylvia Sidney) are happily engaged to be married. However, there love life is about to go up in smoke, when Tracy is arrested for suspected of being a kidnapper. He sent to a prison in a small town with really no hard evidence, where the townspeople become so irate over his arrest, that they form a lynchmob and try to take down the prison. They try to get to him, but instead they burn down the prison to which he is confined and murder him...or so they thought, along with fiancee who discovers his whereabouts too late. Though the first twenty-five minutes are a bit slow, the rest of it is alarming. The forming a carniverous mob seems quite effective even by today's standards and the trial that follows to convict the assailants of murder (since the people soom realized that Tracy was innocent) is very powerful. Spencer Tracy gives a fine performance, one of his best (third for me after "Bad Day at Black Rock" and "Inherit the Wind). One of Fritz Lang's most underrated films and also his first American film.