The Return of the King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Return of the King Reviews

½ December 18, 2012
Another great LOTR cartoon! Not as good as The Hobbit but pretty good. Sometimes it can be hard to watch with all that singing....
½ December 1, 2012
To those who loved the Peter Jackson series, but hated the dynamics of the Frodo and Sam arc, this film is the more book friendly version that better dips into the satirical depths of Tolkien's books.

On its own the film focuses primarily on the story of the Sam and Frodo in their struggle to destroy the ring. The personalities of the characters are very relatible and accurate to the book, with even direct quotes taken straight from the book.

the Animation is fairly simplistic, but it is the characters, the story and the Music that makes this piece and even gives us some insights into the cultural depths of middle earth and the hobbits, that you normally need to read the books to enjoy.
November 4, 2012
Man. I've watched this thing a scary number of times.
½ November 2, 2012
Lord of the Rings with... folk music?! What the fuck!
½ October 28, 2012
So, you take the unsuccessful film version of LOTR (or at least the first 2 books) and give it to the guys who made a successful adaptation of Tolkien's world. Good idea right? Except that what made the Hobbit so great was its childishness and simplicity. There were no complicated moral issues in that world, and there was little in the way of true darkness. So instead of a darkish film dealing with some serious issues we get an attempt to turn that into a campy childish ride. And wow does it fail. The folk songs which were so charming in the Hobbit are hopelessly out of place here. We are introduced to new characters as if we knew them. The entire film feels like its continuing a story that was never told, since even if you've read the books and seen the movie they were nothing like this. Without establishing much about these characters (except that Frodo is Bilbo from the Hobbit) they rush them into situations that don't make much sense only to get them out in ways that have no meaning since we don't understand who they are to begin with. And the cool things about the Hobbit here come back to bite them. Gandalf in the Hobbit was basically an omniscient being with almost unlimited powers. Putting him in a situation and expecting us to believe he's in mortal peril just makes no sense, especially when his opponent is a man with an invisible head riding on a horse with wings. The Nazgul are so bad they're funny. And their kind of cool Gollum who looked so threatening in the dark comes out into the light so we can see how big and chunky he is. Not a physical threat in the least. This is a far worse film than LOTR Animated. That one was at least swatcheable for all its flaws. This one I couldn't sit through, but fast forwarded to the end and the extremely disapointing conclusion. Picture Gollum dancing off a cliff. Yeah.
½ October 2, 2012
Worst dialogue ever. This cartoon feels like it's trying to convert the watcher to Christianity, with all the "God save us", "Heaven help us"-es, it's just constant. Not to mention the double quick use of the phrase "festering malignancy", the melodramatic "THE HORROR" and the completely unnecessary, "thee", "thou" BS. They didn't talk like that in the book. Why'd they have to here? It gets an extra star for the Grond animation, and the "Where There's a Whip, There's a Way" song. But yeah. I loved this thing as a 5 year old. My poor parents. Sorry I put you guys through this.
September 5, 2012
Definitely the weakest of the Animated Tolkien films from the 70s/80s. Rankin/Bass had done "The Hobbit", and Bashki had adapted most of the first two books in "The Lord of the Rings", but Bashki wasn't given the chance to finish what he started, and somehow Rankin/Bass were able to complete it...but while their tone worked pretty well for "The Hobbit", it doesn't really fit well with the dark conclusion of the books, and there is far too much singing. And being that an entirely different group produced this, it doesn't really feel like a conclusion to what Bakshi started. It strays too far from the source, hell it strays too far from what Bakshi had done, not just stylistically but storywise. They tried to connect it to their own work, which had admittedly been more successful, but it makes this a weird unofficial sequel to Bakshi's work, as well as a somewhat awkward sequel to the Rankin/Bass "Hobbit"...making it feel somewhere in between...and not anywhere good in between. It isn't all bad...just mostly bad.
½ September 2, 2012
Too much singing and expository dialogue for this short and unsatisfactory rendition of Tolkien's classic
August 30, 2012
A film that tries to be a sequel to that Balski, pathetic, a new Rankin / Bass disappointing, an insult to Tolkien.
July 28, 2012
I liked this... but not really... Its a love/hate thing. I loved the Rankin/bass version of the hobbit but it's really hard to tell if i like this movie or not. So it gets a 3/5 . The art is good, and the way it tells it's story is good as well. But it had a lot of really corny stuff in it.
April 19, 2012
NOTHING would please me more then to take this film and BURN IT. its..HORRIBLE the least they could've done was if they WERE to do an animated sequal to the hobbit at least do the first LOTR(The couldn't at the time do to Liscensing but still) OR if the could only do the third make it LONGER at least 2 hours not..just over an hour. In short the story is rushed. The animation is weird and the Movie in Whole is JUST PLAIN BAD!!!
March 17, 2012
i really want to see it
February 18, 2012
Was tolerable, and can be considered Lord of the Rings Lite.
½ December 26, 2011
Animation classic. Excellent film that's very true to the book.
December 25, 2011
The animation falls far short of the first adaptation Rankin and Bass brought us.
½ July 8, 2011
what did i just watch?
½ April 22, 2011
As with Rankins effort at the hobbit this is more of the same. It is a continuation of the story began by Bakshi's 1978 movie but its not a continuation of Bakshis interpretation. For small children with far inferior animation.
April 18, 2011
This movie is absolutely hilarious-but also extremely epic. :D One of my childhood faves
½ January 11, 2011
God awful! Would it have been so hard for them to at least start where Bakshi left off instead of starting almost half way through the Return of the King (book)? Nothing is explained...and any attempt to tell the story is destroyed by the constant interruption of pointless songs. They got away with it in the hobbit because the songs were actually from the book and helped move the plot forward sometimes or just added to the background music. Unless you've read the book, you'll have no clue what's going on. Samwise and the overall feel of the siege of Minas Tirith are the only somewhat good things I can think about this movie. And of course there's the epic song "Where There's a Whip, There's a Way".
January 9, 2011
Pretty good, maybe a bit too much singing though.