Come and See (Idi i smotri) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Come and See (Idi i smotri) Reviews

½ May 6, 2017
One of the best foreign language films I've ever seen, I rarely give movies a rating of 4 and a half stars and above. It was Atmospheric, Incredible Acting, And Extremely realistic. Never expected it to be so good and that Ending was one of the best endings I have ever seen in a movie.
½ April 13, 2017
Sound design and surrealism set it a part from other war films. Appropriately horrifying, but the revenge ending feels like propaganda.
March 27, 2017
Extremely powerful, disturbing, and will never leave my mind. This is one of the best movies I have ever seen and I never want to see it again.
January 27, 2017
A rare war film that shows the horrors and not the glory. Infuriating, stomach-churning, and artistic.
January 17, 2017
At least, as good as Apocalypse Now ...maybe the best war movie ever made.
January 4, 2017
Truly tragic on so many fronts. I have friends whose parents or grandparents fought the Germans in Russia, according to them this movie is accurate. They fled to the U.S at the start of the cold war and had no love for Soviet-style movies but had seen a few this being one of them. Personally, the Germans (full disclosure I'm 60% German 40% Scandinavian) suffered far less than they would have if I'd been in charge. It's the same for the Russians in Germany rapes in the 100's of thousands or my own nation America whose soldiers were not above raping women, children. I think they all should done away with, Slowly.
December 25, 2016
Impeccably depicted.
½ December 8, 2016
A film you only need to watch once and will forever carry with you. Not easy to sit through but completely worth the heartbreak.
November 30, 2016
A war epic that depicts the barbarity of humanity so ghastly, the images haunt and linger like ghosts of the butchery.
½ October 29, 2016
Great movie. Darkest War movie I've ever seen. The acting was great, the story was great, the cinematography was great. The only problem I had was that the movie was too long. I fell asleep and had to finish the rest. But, it does wonders with its length. I do wish I watched a better dubbed version though.
August 28, 2016
One of the most realistic and deeply moving war movies I have ever seen!
August 9, 2016
A teenage boy's bleak-as-pitch odyssey through war-torn Belarus is named after a verse from the book of Revelation which, while too long to quote in full, can be paraphrased in this context as, "Don't come expecting a Nora Ephron rom-com." Biplanes circle like buzzards above, corpses are piled like firewood against buildings, while Nazi death squads scour the countryside with bug-eyed glee. It's a journey that carriers the viewer to hell and leaves us there. Nothing, before or since, has captured the psychological carnage of war like the final shot of the boy's face, now hollow-eyed, lined and aged. Under-seen but riding high on critics' and filmmakers' lists, this is the Russian Apocalypse Now, a dizzying, terrifying portrayal of brutality and genocide during the Nazis' scorched-earth campaign through Belorussia
July 30, 2016
a nightmare of a film, not in the sense that you will go to bed with, but in the sense of realising just how man kills man, and the atrocities that one can never forget. One of the best war films i have ever seen.
May 14, 2016
Ever wondered how Hell looks like? Just watch this hyperrealistic cinematographic masterpiece: it will describe it with just enough detail.
½ May 13, 2016
This is probably the most memorable war movie I've ever seen. It's scenes are so gruesome, yet, sometimes, beautiful. It has a lot of messages in it that I love, although I think the Russian partisans are glorified a little too much.
May 9, 2016
Tremendously powerful war drama. One of the finest I've seen.
April 28, 2016
Come and See is clearly the most powerful and violent anti-war film ever made.

After a boy finds an old rifle, he decides to enter WW2. However, he finds that it is much more horrifying than he imagined and he experiences the horrors of it.

What really makes this film so violent is that a mostly young cast is experiencing and acting in this. This movie has some of the most powerful massacre sequences ever put on screen. Rape is often described as forcing someone to have sex in cinema. But this movie doesn't need to be graphic in order to be powerful. In this movie, it is seen as hate-fueled violence being committed against other people. Unlike other movies, you cannot imagine the women in Come and See ever healing from their scars.

This movie's ending is my favorite scene in the film. It can be interpreted many different ways. For example, you could interpret it as Florya learning that eliminating the source of the enemy won't lead him to any resolution. It won't stop humanity's insatiable first to commit war crimes during times of moral depletion. There are many other interpretations to this scene as well.

Going off topic for a bit, whoever thinks that this movie contains propaganda are clearly prejudiced against this movie simply because it was produced in the Soviet Union. Those people are the same ones who wouldn't raise a single finger if this was produced in their country. If you still think that this film is propaganda then you need to watch it with a far more critical eye. Propaganda films should make war look like fun. They should make people want to join the war. They should glorify the acts of killing and ridicule of the enemy. Kubrick even made a parody of this in 1987's Full Metal Jacket. There was probably much more propaganda in 10 minutes of Saving Private Ryan then there was in this entire movie which is nearly 2 1/2 hours long. Come and See makes your stomach turn every second. It makes you feel disgusted just at the thought of war. It is by far the most effective anti-war film ever made.

So in conclusion, this movie is the most effective anti-war film of all time. Everything in the movie is perfectly done. It displays some of the most powerful massacre scenes in cinema and it handles violence expertly.
March 12, 2016
Unforgettable and deeply traumatic ,Like a figurative sledgehammer to the psyche , the impact of this is both devastating and hauntingly beautiful , that it will leave your soul shattered into pieces but definitely grateful for having had this singular viewing experience..10/10
February 2, 2016
Its hard to depict the catastrophe of War through film. The suffering stems directly through experiencing it and its difficult to capture it through mere medium of Art.

But Elem Klimov's masterwork 'Come and See' (1985) takes you into a nightmarish journey of the incurable wrath of Humanity. Depicting the massacre of Belarus villagers by the Nazi army through hand held shots, atmospheric set designs and relentless performances by the lead characters brings the anit-war message to such depths that one might have never experienced it through film before.

'Come and See' (1985) is truly a masterwork of Soviet cinema. One of the best anti-war films ever made.
½ January 31, 2016
If the first half of the film where as strong as the second half, this would be an easy 10/10.

The film follows Florya, a Belorussian partisan, as he travels across Belarus, fighting, surviving, and witnessing the horrors of war.

Let's start with the positive. The film's imagery is brutal. We're talking "You won't sleep for days" levels of brutal. The highlight of the film is a scene where the Nazis force the residents of a village into one big building and set it ablaze. This scene is horrifying and uneasy in all the right ways.

However, it's the beginning that brings the film down. In the beginning, our main character (played wonderfully by Alexei Kravchenko) finds a gun from a dead soldier, his entry token to the partisan group. There, he befriends a woman (Olga Mironova) who gets left behind by the group a long with him. The two form a bond, but this part of the film feels a little weird. It's difficult to quite place a finger on it, but these scenes feel off and a tad disjointed from where the film ultimately wants to end up.

There are a lot of close-ups in this film. All of the ones on Kravchenko work. All of the ones on Mironova make you think she's about to murder someone in the dead of night. It's unnerving and not in the way the film wants you to be unnerved. Towards the end, the film uses archive footage of deaths camps and a unique sequence showing Hitler's rise to power in reverse order as Florya shoots mercilessly at a photo of Adolf Hitler. That part is pretty great.

It's a harrowing, unflinching, and difficult movie to watch. It does get much better as it goes on, though.