Hot Shots! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hot Shots! Reviews

August 12, 2015
Hilarious for its constructed jokes that all hit!
August 10, 2015
"Hot Shots!" comes during the peak of spoof films, just before the downhill disasters and right after the best of the best. With clever jokes throughout, this loosely-Top-Gun-based spoof is not one to miss. Charlie Sheen (Topper) leads this film into the hilarious picture that it is, due to the films that inspired it. The jokes run a mile a minute, the action is just as impressive (intentionally cheesy at times), and the cast all do their very best to give the audience a great laugh. With direction that knows exactly when and where to land the jokes, there is talent surrounding this film everywhere. In the end, I would highly recommend this spoof movie, and that is saying something, because it is extremely rare for spoof movies to be this consistently funny. "Hot Shots!" may have a few too many dumb gags, but the remainder of them are way too clever to pass up on. If you have not had the chance to see this film, it comes highly recommended.
½ August 10, 2015
After watching Airplane and Top Secret i was expecting an exhausting amount of puns and bad jokes. This was just stupid, not funny at all. What was so great, the eyes of my father joke??
July 18, 2015
Hot Shots is a spoof on several films, but is primarily as spoof on the hit Top Gun. Charlie Sheen is Topper Harley who returns to the U.S. Air Voice and is equivalent to Tom Cruise's character. His rival in Iceman is Cary Elwes. Several gaffs and nonsense are spliced in between, but this movie could be better.
July 4, 2015
This is a perfect example of a legendary spoof!
June 24, 2015
Can we expect any less from Abrahams? The mind behind some great spoof/parody movies doesn't disappoint in yet another parody. This film is a military spoof of films like top gun and it's fantastic.
½ May 12, 2015
Humour doesn't always date well
April 11, 2015
Back in 1986 there was a movie called 'Top Gun', you might have heard of it, it did quite well. During casting the young Charles Sheen was considered for the main role in the movie (later taken by Cruise), his brother Emilio turned down the role! Well later on down the line we got this spoof which really does seem like Sheen's late audition for the real deal. Its odd because in a way you could actually see him in the role of Maverick, its not a stretch, and here you do feel he's making the best of it to show us all just that (my thoughts).

There have been many spoofs over the years but this franchise is generally considered to be one of the best alongside 'The Naked Gun' trilogy. Its of course no surprise that all the best spoofs have been written and directed (one or the other) by Jim Abrahams, the dude has a knack. Everyone knows the drill here, you can tell from the movie logo alone, as said the film sends up 'Top Gun' from start to finish whilst including the odd pot shots at various other movies. The difference with this movie unlike newer spoofs was the fact this actually had a proper story and mainly parodied one movie, it wasn't just a collection of silly skits.

The plot isn't entirely scene for scene the same as that Scott movie though, it differs of course but in general much is the same right down to the main soundtrack. Sheen plays the dark haired, good looking, brash young pilot Topper, his arch nemesis is the blonde haired, good looking, by the books Kent (Elwes), and they are both after the frizzy haired Ramada (Golino). I never really understood how Golino got this part because she isn't much of a looker in my view but hey. Other pilots are a cliched bunch highlighted by Jon Cryer as the near blind Pfaffenbach (he has wall-eye vision) but the stand out performer for the movie has to be Lloyd Bridges as Tug Benson. This guy nailed every scene he's in, he clearly knew how to perform comedy and it shows, his visual skills were just as good as his verbal skills. Bridges has to be one of the two best spoof comedy actors ever, the other being Leslie Nielsen.

The best thing about these movies was obviously the humour, some of it was childish, some of it clever and witty, yet at times some was also surprisingly adult. But it wasn't just the easy visual gags that made this hilariously smart, it was the hidden gems, the tiny visual nods n winks that you may have missed the first time around. The film has many (sort of) secret Easter eggs strewn throughout which some folks will pick up and others might not, depending on your country of origin and how much of a movie buff you are. Even now I can read about this flick and find things out I never knew. Of course other than that there are the blatant movie parodies and cheap slapstick gags that cater for all ages, some being very good with excellent levels of detail (Rocky sequence), others just being dumb and maybe even somewhat cringeworthy these days (Superman sequence).

Like most spoofs the movie is a product of its time with many gags, visual or otherwise, referencing issues of the time or current pop culture (of the time). Although this does still work to a degree it has waned over time which is to be expected. Its now very odd to think that Saddam Hussein was once such a threat and iconic figure...so to speak. So much time has passed since the 90's and the Gulf War it felt strange watching a movie where Saddam was the villain and parodied, not sure why but I guess because it doesn't seem that long ago and I was a young teen at the time. Its only watching now you realise...holy hummus! it was along time ago! Christ I'm old!

By the predictable finale the movie has well established itself as a solid spoof with some classic moments of comedy no doubt. The jet fighter aerial sequences are a clear montage of real footage, other movie footage and some highly dubious model work, but the film embraces the cheesiness with open arms. At no point does the movie try for spectacular effects, its all hokey as hell and looks like a cartoon, although there are some neat tricks to be seen. Personally I enjoy segments of this, some stuff works really well, others don't, back in the day I kinda felt the same truth be told. For me the movie heavily depended on the brilliance of Bridges' rubber-faced versatility and the small hints of Cryer, but overall its still a highly accurate spoof of the hefty testosterone infused 80's.

'you risked the lives of some damn fine pilots...and that's my job'
½ April 8, 2015
Just ridiculously hilarious. Spot on jokes. Throughly entertained throughout.
½ April 1, 2015
This is no Naked Gun.
March 31, 2015
Can't explain why I love this movie so much. I just rate a comedy movie on how much I laughed. And I laughed the whole running time. Especially at Lloyd Bridges. My freaking stomach hurts every time I watch this. If I have to choose one movie to bring on a lonely island, I would choose Hot Shots.
½ March 9, 2015
This film is brilliantly funny and clever! It was the perfect vehicle for the once terrific Charlie Sheen who is at his side splitting best. His future Two and a Half Men co-star Jon Cryer, Cary Elwes and Lloyd Bridges almost outshine him in their scenes.
January 25, 2015
not as good as the sequel
January 15, 2015
A good spoof that gets better from the middle to the end. Funny characters having their own part. Some great scenes and having not liked Top Gun, this will always be my top gun. This was basically the last of a quality spoof. The aeroplane scene being it's best scene and Lloyd Bridges has never been better.
January 12, 2015
Silly gag fest, but a load of fun as film spoof after film spoof...mainly top gun....are lampooned here.
½ December 7, 2014
Early 90s spoof of the action hero genre, in particular that of Top Gun, with Charlie Sheen in the lead role as Topper Harley.

Taken for what it is, it's also quite amusing!
½ October 16, 2014
Less gay than Top Gun. A
½ September 18, 2014
Funny satirical slapstick on the lines of Airplane! and Naked Gun.
August 31, 2014
Ok, so there are many good flicks, but there is just one perfect movie. And this is it.
½ August 16, 2014
Topper must deal with past demons & save a mission that's been sabotaged.

Hot Shots! succeeds as a hilarious parody of the well known movie, Top Gun but set during the Iraq war.

Topper is called back into The Navy in order to help them destroy some Iraqi nuclear installations and he must contend with rival pilots and a plot within that could jeopardise the mission.

Lots of laughs with some regular comedic actors and many nods to other popular movies aside from Top Gun.