Dogfight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dogfight Reviews

April 23, 2016
Rose: Eddie, what's the problem?
Eddie Birdlace: Oh, no problem. Just a man with a mission.
Rose: What mission?
Eddie Birdlace: You and me, against the pricks. Are you with me?

Birdlace es un marine que está a punto de ser enviado a Vietnam, decide junto a sus amigos de hacer una ultima apuesta... el soldado que logre una cita con la chica mas fea gana. Con sus encantos, Birdlace logra seducir Rosie, pero no espera recibir una de esas lecciones que no se aprende en la guerra.

Dogfight es una de esas películas que no tiene mayores sorpresas. Si, sabemos desde el principio que Birdlace y Rosie van a terminar enamorándose, también sabemos que Birdlace inevitablemente va a terminar zarpando a Vietnam, y que este va a ser uno de esos romances que terminan siendo interrumpidos, pero a pesar de esto la historia y el carisma de sus personajes te mantiene interesado y es una película encantadora, que por 1hr y media te permite soñar y te recuerda la nostalgia de esas películas de los 90s te involucran emocionalmente a pesar de la cursilería.

Es una lastima que River Phoenix haya fallecido tan joven. Era uno de esos raros actores los cuales eran tan encantadores que no podías dejar de mirarlo, algo así como Marlon Brando o James Dean, y Lili Taylor con esa inocencia y bondad que te conquistan, y una de las cosas que me agrado es que ella no es una mujer convencionalmente atractiva, y no trataron de embellecerla para que Birdlace se enamore de ella, sino que lo que lo conquisto fue justamente esas cualidades que la hacían especial.
½ March 2, 2016
Funny how a film that arises from a cruel concept ends up being barefacedly touching and quietly romantic. 1991's "Dogfight" is set in 1963, on the night before a group of young Marines set off for war. All around eighteen, they know little about love, themselves, or the way selfish desire can have a dramatic impact on others. So it's unsurprising when the friends decide to hold a deplorable contest. All wanting to get with a girl during their last hours of freedom but knowing that all the pretty ones most likely won't go for one-night-stand, they hold a competition in which the participants find the ugliest date they can within a brief timespan. If lucky, maybe the date won't be so ugly, and maybe they might even get laid. Tonally, however, the game is malicious, the young men bonding over their disregard for decency.
Of the bunch, "Dogfight" is most interested in Eddie Birdlace (River Phoenix), a follower who seems to have the best set of morals in his friend group. As the pals split to go find their "dogs," Eddie stumbles upon Rose (Lili Taylor), who is plain but certainly not ugly. The folksy daughter of a restauranteur, Rose, shy but kindhearted, is, understandably, unaware of the machinations that underline Eddie's asking her out. Never having been on a date in her life, let alone receiving interest from the opposite sex, she is ecstatic, having a fun night out until she learns the truth.
Rose is humiliated, but Eddie, unexpectedly, figures himself to be drawn to her. Desperate to cheer her up and get to know her better before he becomes a full-time Marine again, he asks her out again, this time with sincerity. Reluctantly, she accepts. Within the few hours they have, the twosome spend the rest of the night together, having "Before Sunrise"-esque talks that eventually lead to them becoming bedfellows. But there's something special to be found in this brief courtship - Eddie gives Rose the romantic experience she's never received but has always wanted, and Rose provides Eddie with a newfound maturity that may very well erase his cockiness for sensitivity.
I want to call "Dogfight" minor, as it's been twenty-five since its release and few remember it, and as it's nothing new in terms of young love depicted in the movies. But there's something deeply stirring about it; is it the way Taylor and Phoenix's connection feels genuine, the way we fall in love with Taylor idiosyncrasies, the way Phoenix's performance feels layered in the way that it reflects how young men put on a devil-may-care front to disguise a vulnerable epicenter? "Dogfight" remarkably makes these characters vividly pragmatic, our time with them feeling all too brief because we learn to care about them so immensely. But that only works as yet another reason why "Dogfight" is so rousing - it makes the preciousness of Eddie and Rose's night together ache magnificently. An optimistic ending suggests that more is in store for them, which is a gratifying surprise for a film so repeatedly somber.
So maybe "Dogfight" is minor, meant to be forgotten like all the other passing romances of a bygone era. But uncover what it has to offer and you'll be stunned by how much it moves you; Phoenix and Taylor, two underrated performers of their generation, make for an unconventional pairing worth rooting for. It is a subtle, melancholy, but wildly sweet romantic film of delicate renown. Shame Eddie lost the dogfight, though.
April 1, 2015
Not worth the strain to find merit in this hollow drama.
December 16, 2014
Great memories of this film. Phoenix was superb, as always. The more I see River Phoenix movies, the more I realize he was the best actor of his generation. Part of me always loved this, despite its flaws. And I probably always will.
May 13, 2014
Sad, sweet, compassionate and touching. A great character piece, and a fantastic, layered and realistic female lead. A great mix cruel and kind.
February 27, 2014
I recommend it. The characters and the story is intoxicating.
½ January 5, 2014
Love will always win.
October 17, 2013
Feels occasionally rushed early on, but deftly avoids all the cliches you expect, and never over does things. Surprisingly powerful. An unexpected gem.
July 27, 2013
This has become one of my favorite River Phoenix movies of all time. It's sad to think that it's been almost 20 years since he died. This film reminds you of how great of an actor he was, and what the world truly lost that dreadful day that he died. Just watch the trailer for the film. It should be enough to hook you in.
½ July 8, 2013
Hell of a movie. Can't believe I ain't seen or heard of it until now. So damn good
½ June 9, 2013
A touching and delicate love story, heightened by its charming leads and a well-written script that is able to present us two interesting characters in all their complexity. Unlike other romantic stories, this one feels real, since the viewer, early on, enters in each character's world and thus, can relate to their feelings and words. A little-known gem which delights and moves us. Highly recommended.
June 3, 2013
Great film! Not your ordinary love story.
May 19, 2013
A box office flop at the time of its release, "Dogfight" is one of the more quirky and interesting love stories to hit the screen. The subject matter is at first harsh, but handled with respect and a light comedic touch. In the end, it's the relationship formed between Army cadet Eddie Birdlace and sweet ugly duckling Rose Fenney, and they are both played wonderfully by River Phoenix and Lili Taylor. They're the reason to catch this bittersweet, underrated tale of the 1960's.
½ April 1, 2013
this is the type of movie that had to grow on me after repeated watchings but soon became a fave of mine. it has an edginess/rawness to it from the very beginning and river is one of the few actors where you can go from loathing his character and then feel for him by the end of the movie. very well done movie. highly recommend it.
February 26, 2013
Sometimes these characters can be hard to watch, but only because I know that these troubled characters aren't exclusive to Vietnam. This is definitely one of the more unique and profound war films that came from the Vietnam war.
½ November 28, 2012
Still the first movie I think of whenever anyone asks me my favourite. River and Lili you acted your arses off, Bravo.
November 25, 2012
A touching little drama. One of River Pheonix's last pictures.
½ November 9, 2012
What drew me to Dogfight the most is the surprisingly heartfelt and tender tones that the film produces, accredited in part to both River Phoenix and Lili Taylor.
October 26, 2012
I saw this movie as an 18 year old. I fell in love with it, and I have never grown out of it. Maybe I am emotionally stunted. :)
October 16, 2012
beautiful romantic story, with out corny one liners that you would usally find in a love story