Spoorloos (The Vanishing) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spoorloos (The Vanishing) Reviews

July 19, 2016
This was truly unsettling. The most unsettling thing about it is the killer. It really takes time to show how methodical his actions are. How he has got abduction and murder down to a science. And yet he can still seem like an average guy. And the thing that makes it truly scary is, that's how so many real life serial killers are. If you have a hard time trusting people or are naturally paranoid, then let me tell you it will confirm everything you've ever thought about strangers.
May 7, 2016
With a great script, expert editing, a terrific flashback structure, good characters and a powerful ending, The Vanishing is an absolutely spectacular film that benefits from such a realistic approach to it with a great emphasis on psychological horror instead of stupid violence and twists and that is why its impact is even more heightened. It is such an atmospheric, increasingly disturbing movie that is also sophisticated and never even slightly disappointing. It is without a doubt one of the finest modern thrillers I've seen, a film that left me shaken and disturbed.
½ April 9, 2016
Creepy ass bad guy in this! Normally, I don't like out-of-sequence story telling, but it totally works in this as we see all the pieces of the puzzle put together! My only "problem" is Rex - I disliked him from the beginning, and had a very hard time feeling sympathetic to his plight. And I can't believe he got in the car with the sociopath! There are so many ways he could have gone with that decision, and he chose that one? Yeesh. But, the movie is good, it ends well (though unexpectedly for me!), and well worth watching!
½ April 3, 2016
Not what I was expecting. Reviews make it sound as though the ending is utterly shocking and terrifying, some said it's the scariest ending they'd ever seen. I was monumentally underwhelmed when I finally saw it.
The plot, acting, and build up of suspense are fine, but not wonderful. It held my attention and the central mystery is actually pretty gripping and smart. The film never really picks up the pace or becomes as intense as it should have. My imagination was racing with thoughts of terror and cruelty along the lines of The Silence of the Lambs (a far superior film in terms of horror and building tension), but instead I was severely let down by the lackluster, disappointingly un-clever final reveal.
If you want decent suspense and an admittedly unique story that doesn't fall into any cliches whatsoever, go ahead and watch this movie. If you're looking for horror, thrills, or a final act that packs a punch, look elsewhere.
½ March 10, 2016
Riveting, meticulous and utterly alive. Fantastic performances and superb writing put "The Vanishing" above most thrillers.
½ March 5, 2016
The movie advances in a tantalizing fashion, supplying information obliquely, suggesting as much as it tells, and everything leads up to a climax that is as horrifying as it is probably inevitable. Director George Sluizer unfolds his story with non-hysterical -- but nonetheless unnerving -- precision. Vanishing is refreshingly free of manipulative scenes involving running bath water, jagged-edge cutlery and bunnies in the saucepan. In an unusual tack, the movie reveals the likely perpetrator almost immediately. "Vanishing," almost scientific in approach, reserves its suspense, not for the who, but rather the what and why. In another unusual development, the movie takes significant time visiting with the stranger, revealing his eerily normal family life. Sluizer adapted the film, but he takes a more non-linear approach than the book, which heightens the story at strategic moments to build suspense. Sluizer's direction is seamless throughout, effortlessly juggling domesticity and damnation as it ploughs inexorably towards an appaling dénouement. Mr. Sluizer, whose direction has the spooky precision of nonfiction crime writing and whose matter-of-factness makes the characters seem quite real, builds a disturbing horror story from seemingly modest beginnings. A clinical, maddening descent into the mind of a serial killer and a slowly unraveling hero.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
½ February 3, 2016
Hah! not sure how that dumbass didn't see it coming. at least he's with his beloved now.
½ January 3, 2016
*Spoiler: You know it's European, cause the bad guy wins.

That, and the self-indulgent level of psychological study.
Good drama. Well directed, and acted. But ZERO retribution. I hate that.
I can't believe the protagonist's lack of justice. He says he doesn't want to punish the murderer. Doesn't even want to turn him in. He's as insane as his enemy. Why didn't he walk away?! Hope you enjoy your oval egg, since you thought it best to "do it for her." Hope you enjoy taking "destiny" in your own hands. Jerkface.
The antagonist is pure evil. Her loss felt so final, that I actually fely incredibly relieved that the actress was still alive. SASKIA!
December 6, 2015
Seen it. Don't know what to say about it yet.
November 27, 2015
A very interesting movie, that tells us from the first 20 minutes who the killer most probably is. What I liked about this movie is that we as an audience delve into the mind of the killer and see how he thinks.This killer appearance wise seems like a normal guy and has a family that loves him. He keeps practicing to try and get a women into his car. After a string of failures he finally succeeds to lure the girlfriend of the protagonist. The protagonist continues to obsessively search for his girlfriend even after being missing for three years. My problems with this movie was the unnecessary scenes with the protagonist and his new girlfriend.(If he stayed single his obsession would have felt more real) SPOILER ALERT------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A reasonable man would not have drunk the coffee,why would someone give up life for an answer when that knowing answer could very well lead to your death. I think there could have been more ways that the protagonist could have explored to try and find out the truth. But as mystery/thriller movie it did what I expect from a movie from that genre and that is to keep you on the edge of your seat and to keep you guessing and wanting to find out what happened to the missing girl.
½ November 16, 2015
87%
Watched this on 16/11/15
The scariest ending of all time? Are you gonna make me laugh to death? Well it's clearly not what RT tells it is, for sure. Vanishing is a disturbing psychological piece which happens to have an interesting structure where it descends into the mind of a serial killer effectively. It is well shot and well acted. Lead actor Gene Bervoets gives an emotionally powerful performance. Lead actress Johanna ter Steege is also impressive and actor Bernard-Pierre leaves a great impression as the serial killer. The film avoids genre cliches and it's well directed. But sadly I am disappointed at the fact that it's ending neither turned out to be that scary or suspenseful, it was kind of imminent.
August 6, 2015
Though you might guess it's conclusion, gripping nonetheless
½ July 29, 2015
"The Vanishing" is a fantastic thriller, and skillfully navigates through several genres with elements of classic thrillers, psychological horror, and mystery. Viewers who may not normally be drawn to contemporary European cinema will be captivated. Director George Sluizer unfolds his story with unnerving precision. Cutting back and forth in time, he traces the paths taken by the three main characters.
July 18, 2015
A Good start but worst ending.Seriously i hate the story of this movie , complete dump film.
July 11, 2015
Good reminder of what people can be capable of.
July 11, 2015
Good reminder of what people can be capable of.
The end is harrowing.
½ June 28, 2015
Brilliant thriller, realistic as few others. Gut ripping disappearance, and a man left with millions of unanswered questions. A calculation monster of a sociopath carries the answers.
½ May 13, 2015
85% on my Tomatometer.
½ April 6, 2015
A gripping art house chiller that will stay with you long after it has finished. It's very rare to find a film that is both thrilling and explores the existential. The only way the film could have been improved would have been to add noir-esque photography to a film that has many film noir themes. However, that is just nit-picking. This is a must watch film that culminates with the most heart breaking of endings.