Spoorloos (The Vanishing) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spoorloos (The Vanishing) Reviews

July 18, 2015
A Good start but worst ending.Seriously i hate the story of this movie , complete dump film.
July 11, 2015
Good reminder of what people can be capable of.
July 11, 2015
Good reminder of what people can be capable of.
The end is harrowing.
½ June 28, 2015
Brilliant thriller, realistic as few others. Gut ripping disappearance, and a man left with millions of unanswered questions. A calculation monster of a sociopath carries the answers.
½ May 13, 2015
85% on my Tomatometer.
½ April 6, 2015
A gripping art house chiller that will stay with you long after it has finished. It's very rare to find a film that is both thrilling and explores the existential. The only way the film could have been improved would have been to add noir-esque photography to a film that has many film noir themes. However, that is just nit-picking. This is a must watch film that culminates with the most heart breaking of endings.
April 3, 2015
Interesting - but never "terrifying" as some reviews say. Completely underwhelming ending.
March 15, 2015
A movie that wouldn't have worked half as well had it's ending been anything different. The entire movie is eerie, with a mounting dread that is paid off with that utterly frightening finale.
½ February 17, 2015
With one of the most terrifying endings of all time, Spoorlos is an unforgettable study of a sociopath.
January 8, 2015
A journey into the mind of a psychopath. Forget about Hannibal Lecter nonsense -- this movie explores the true banality of evil.

How such a seemingly nondescript man harbors such malevolence, and does horrifying things to fellow humans as a form of self-amusement, gives to the audience a warning: Monsters do exist, and you probably know one or two.

This movie is an adaptation of a novel by the Dutch writer Tim Krabbe. Krabbe is also a competitive cyclist and a chess grand master.

Avoid the American version, also called The Vanishing. It embodies everything that is wrong with corporate Hollywood.
½ January 4, 2015
A novel idea, a story told from the protagonist's and antagonist's POV, George Sluizer subverts the usual thriller structure and answers all the big questions early on. The rest of the running time in this unnerving thriller is spent turning the the screws on our hero as he attempts to unravel the disappearance of his girlfriend at a busy service station three years before. Slow moving and torturously tense, Sluizer shakes off any embellishment in his adaptation of Tim Krabbe's novel and hones into the crux of what makes thrillers so damn effective; our connection with a character, our inherent instinct to protect him, and the ultimate realization that we can't. The Vanishing is deeply unsettling, shakes hands with horror, at times all-too plausible and all the more horrifying for it. and if you're not discomfited by the ending, you may want to consider selling your blood as jet fuel.
November 21, 2014
INCREDIBLE 1988 suspense film from the Netherlands. Just after finishing it, I couldn't help but think how such a simple story could have been so easily screwed up. It avoids all thriller cliches and remains unpredictable until the very end, which I guarantee will shake you up. Powerful stuff. HIGHLY recommend this one.
½ November 12, 2014
Creepy. Didn't see that ending coming.
½ November 9, 2014
A chilling movie that stuck with me for a long time. The Hollywood remake missed the entire point of the film.
November 3, 2014
I can see why Sluizer never went on to do anything else of note; all he did here was luck out with an awesome script and have the good sense not to get in its way. The acting is clunky and awkward, the music is terrible, and if you have a vague idea of the ending, as I did, there's not much tension. But it works because it's a good story with a fascinating structure and an almost perfect pace. Sometimes that's all it takes.
½ November 2, 2014
Restrained, intelligent and intensely realistic, this is one of the best horror/dramas I've ever seen. Must see cinema.
October 23, 2014
You don't realise just how good this film is until you think about months after and you start to feel very strange.
½ October 17, 2014
Pretty good, especially the second half. I had no idea what to expect from this film and it didn't start out too well as I thought the acting was pretty ropey. This suggested that it would use gore and horror to sell the film, as a lot of them do, but I was wrong. The big selling point is the story. Clearly a twisted mind has come up with this tale which always makes for an enjoyable film.
½ October 16, 2014
A slow desent into madness coupled with a terrifying ending. The Vanishing is a one of a kind thriller.
Grade: A-