Teacher's Pet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Teacher's Pet Reviews

October 17, 2016
Teacher's Pet is a fun movie. It is about newspaper editor who joins the class of a journalism professor who despises him. Charles Gable and Doris Day give amazing performances. The script is good but a little slow in places. George Seaton did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the humor and romance. Teacher's Pet is a must see.
August 15, 2016
I like where they went with the plot. Doris Day's character was very well done. While it was appropriate for Clark Gable too look weathered/rough he was too old for the part. Still, I enjoyed the movie a lot. I liked the psychologist character and liked how the ending wrapped a lot of things up but left their future uncertain.
April 27, 2016
Oldie but a goody. A die hard newspaper editor and a news teacher clash together. Two opposite sides of the idea how a newspaper should be run.
½ December 7, 2015
Esta comedia romántica protagonizada por Clark Gable y Doris Day funciona a la perfección dentro del género, pero también esconde una profunda reflexión (todavía vigente) sobre el papel del periodismo y del periodista. "Teacher's Pet" es mágica, graciosa, actuada a la perfección (Gig Young y Mamie Van Doren no se quedan atrás) y es quizás, una de las mejores miradas cinematográficas al mundo de la prensa escrita.
½ May 21, 2015
ok late career Gable rom-com
October 31, 2014
Gable and Day are a super combination in this gentle comedy.
½ March 3, 2014
Very good and quite a fun dialogue
September 28, 2013
Best movie I've seen in a long time. Highly recommend this to all my friends and family.
December 7, 2012
''To me, journalism is, ah, like a hangover. You can read about it for years, but until you've actually experienced it, you have no conception of what it's really like.''

James Gannon, the hardboiled city editor of a newspaper, believes that the only way to learn the business is by way of the School of Hard Knocks...

Clark Gable: James Gannon / James Gallangher

Doris Day: Erica Stone

Teacher's Pet is a typically delightful B&W comedy/romance that Gable & Day pull off with flying colours and not to mention magnetic chemistry. These days viewers comment on the age differences. I can see why from certain views but in those days it was common place for the man to be older than the woman due to the fact women are far more mature in nature(Not always though!).

Gable gives us a fully realised character, a man consumed by his little possessed education and therefore resentful of anyone who has.

In a comic genius scene between him and Nick Adams, who plays a high school drop-out, he tells the young man that because of his lack of knowledge, "I've spent my life excusing myself from dinner tables and going to the mens room, and I don't want that to happen to you."

Day is a gem, tranquil, beautiful. Her best scene is her copy of Mamie Van Doren's nightclub act, singing The Queen of Rock 'n' Roll to the dismay of Jim, who was seen with her by Erica and Hugo in a club.

Gig Young, who was nominated for an Oscar for his performance, is hilarious as superman Hugo, who believes drunkenness is nothing more than a state of mind, speaks many languages, plays the bongos, and can exceed Jim's war service record. The confrontations between them are hilarious.

In modern times, it's tough to find this intelligent kind of comedy anymore where there are actual characters who have their serious moments, but when one comes along, it's well worth it. Teacher's Pet is a great example of Hollywood at its finest, a top notch script, great stars in Day and Young, and a living legend, Clark Gable, doing what he had been doing for thirty years.

Teacher's Pet is an old classic that still provides humour and Drama and some powerful messages.
½ April 17, 2011
Bitter newspaper editor enrolls in progressive working woman's university journalism course under an assumed name and learns to respect education.
February 15, 2011
Interesting to see Clark Gable towards the end of his life. A really good flick with excellent dialogue.
½ December 23, 2010
It seems that Doris Day used to be the go-to-gal when it came to suffering from men and their mistaken identities. Teacher's Pet is a movie which stands in the tradition of the infamous three Hudson/Day/Randall movies from the 50ies. Oddly enough, the film was done in black&white and the reason for that may very well be the film's biggest drawback. It was done to disguise Clark Gable's age and weight and he still looks rather worn down and bloated. I do like him and while he is no Cary Grant I think he has proven his comic talent (It happened one Night is a fine example), but as a love interest for Doris Day ? I don't think so, he comes across as clumsy old chap more than anything else and I think they should have either cast someone younger and more vital or stuck to the friendship thing. Doris Day does what she does best and balances between the feisty and sexy female and the oogle-eyed blond and proves why she was unique in that respect, that she could play romantic comedies without being degraded into eye candy but still deliver the necessary on screen chemistry. The film is rarely laugh-out loud like other screwball comedies from the time and the humour is more tragic than anything else. I think the film could have done with a more interesting supporting cast, both in the scrip and on the screen. Maybe an elderly governess for Day or a goofy or witty sidekick for Gable, but both characters seem to float in a social vacuum somehow.

All in all, Teacher's Pet does not manage to be all it could have been but is still a charming little movie with a slightly miscast male lead.

HX
½ September 16, 2010
Thoroughly entertaining..the dialogues are superb...great humour works with the romance very well...and the age difference between the lead actors just doesnt seem to matter because they work so well...go on and watch it !!
½ August 3, 2010
This is For Kids Only
July 20, 2010
Very cute May - August romance.
½ July 4, 2010
Great old time comedy with wonderful acting and nice script. This is the way comedies should be made. Some catchy songs also.
½ May 26, 2010
What impressed me most about Teacher's pet was the way it dealt with the conflict between education and experience and the way people without college education may feel inferior to those with diplomas. I did enjoy Doris Day's fresh and great performance as the intelligent woman and the way Glark Gable's character agrees to admit his own shortcomings. The movie that at least a bit plays with traditional gender roles and prejudices, is always a win in my book.
February 21, 2010
Really good movie. Gable and Day are great as always.
December 11, 2009
Clark and Doris are adorable.
December 1, 2009
oh god no... not a fan of Doris Day, but i gave it a chance for Gable.