Conflict - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Conflict Reviews

½ June 8, 2015
not a classic but an enjoyable Bogart thriller nonetheless.
March 5, 2015
another great film by Bogart.
September 4, 2014
Bogart is great here as always. This is a clever movie.
January 13, 2014
I loved the beginning, with his unrequited feelings toward Evelyn. The filmmakers made you feel the pain of his emptiness in his relationship. The portrayed emotions are quite powerful, at time. The admission is painful. It takes a somewhat familiar Hitchcockian turn. Bogart plays an uncharacteristically repelling persona. Funny that the characters are inverted, between Bogart & Greenstreet. man, Bogart's good! An adequate, suspenseful, psychological drama.
½ January 23, 2013
Bogart and Greenstreet...You Can't Beat 'Em--Interesting psychological mystery!!
November 14, 2012
It's a disturbing and horrifying psychological thriller. With it's maliciously unnerving mood and heavy, dismal cinematography Conflict aspires to achieve an all-new level of ambiguity. The film is about a guilt-ridden man - Humphrey Bogart's arguably most sinister role ever - who gradually plunges deeper and deeper into state of a devastating mental illness. The more observant viewers might be able to uncover the whole mystery in the first act even, but for those who are in desperate need of a satisfying and suspenseful intrigue Conflict brings a seriously sapid mystery. Hinting at a thorough psychological evaluation in the beginning, Conflict analyzes how a fearless and brutal man - convinced that he's just killed his innocent wife - is trapped in a vortex of clues, which might lead to a mightily shocking revelation. Sydney Greenstreet - with his usual charm, sophisticated mannerism, and most-cheerful laughter - plays the psychoanalyst and a friend to Mr. Bogart. His impeccable intelligence is the film's most-promising quality. And Bogart, with all his devilish attitude and increasing fear is as convincing [and as stylish and graceful] as he was in Casablanca or The Maltese Falcon. Conflict is a lesser-known film noir, but it's crucial to note that it's clever premise and bunch of twisted and deranged sequences deliver a melodrama that's not to be argued with.
June 27, 2012
One of Humphrey Bogart's silliest films, this one puts him between his wife (Alexis Smith) and another woman (Rose Hobart). Bogart decides to plot a murder against his wife, with his leg in a cast, so that he can be with the other woman. She ventures on a trip into the mountain and somehow Bogart gets there first in order to kill her and run the vehicle off an adjacent cliff. Amazingly, he gets back his house with now problems and tries to determine (artificially) what happened to his wife. Even despite some suspense, this film is pretty ridiculous. Not known by many Bogart fans, and very much understandably. Very unbelievable!
November 21, 2011
Bogart gives one of his most sinister performances.
June 11, 2011
good thriller full of WB stock actors re-teaming many from casablanca
½ September 25, 2010
Missed the first 1/2 hour of this film, so wasn't sure what was happening until the end. Not one of Bogie's best, but not bad. You expect Bogie to be good, but I particularly liked Sidney Greenstreet here. I find that I enjoy him more as a good guy than as a bad guy.
½ July 20, 2010
A solid gritty mystery/crime movie with twists and turns starring the greatest film star, Bogie
December 23, 2009
Surprising treat.

Interesting plot made all the more interesting by the cast, the lighting, the direction and the pace. Character development picks up fast-- within just minutes you understand the characters and their motivations. From there we have intrigue and a story that should keep you very entertained, from start to finish, with a very good performance by Bogart and a nice twist ending.

Highly recommended evening flick - 7.8/10
jjnxn
January 3, 2009
Excellent mood piece with Bogart in a rare post-Casablanca villian role.
February 2, 2008
I saw this movie at the SF Noir Film Festival. It is always a little creepy watching a movie about people deceiving their loved ones. There were times when I doubted what I thought I had seen earlier in the film and I liked that confusion. I enjoyed trying to figure out what was going on as though I was in the killer's head. I loved the ending.