Grand Canyon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grand Canyon Reviews

½ September 29, 2016
This is a great drama! I recommend this movie if you enjoy movies like Crash and Boyhood. Highly recommended!
April 30, 2016
I had watched this Lawrence Kasdan film a few times when it first came out, and had been wanting to see it again for close to a decade. I am glad I revisited it, I still found it to be a great film. Reminds me of Haggis' "Crash". The cast here is excellent, and it reminded me that I don't get to see the actors much anymore and really like them, especially Mary McDonell and Alfre Woodard. Steve Martin, Danny Glover, and Kevin Kline are all good as well. Recommended!
½ February 28, 2016
Grand Canyon est un film choral qui se déroule dans le Los Angeles du début des années 90, sous couvert de tensions sociales et de lutte des classes préfigurant les émeutes de 1992. A travers quelques personnages interprétés par de fabuleux acteurs (Danny Glover, Kevin Kline et surtout Steve Martin dans un contre-emploi où son personnage est une parodie de Joel Silver) et des situations réalistes, Lawrence Kasdan livre une oeuvre qui oscille constamment entre comédie de murs et drame existentialiste, tout en évitant les transitions virtuelles habituelles dans les films choraux US aujourd'hui. Le score de James Newton Howard est remarquable.
½ February 17, 2016
I'm gonna keep this review short and sweet. The characters are fascinating and the acting and story are great. The dialogue can be weak at times, but it makes up for it with great conversations from the characters.

It's a wonderful, enjoyable, dramatic film that deals with friendship, relationships, family, and the decisions we make when life throws stuff at you when you least expect it. It's a great film, it's one of my favorites, and I hope it takes you on a journey like it did with me.
June 29, 2015
A remarkable ensemble piece with some of the career best performances from Kevin Kline, Mary McDonnell, Steve Martin, and Danny Glover. The dream sequences are magically done and the script is very well written and even 24 years after being made, is still timely as ever. Great score and sound design too.
April 1, 2015
Well meaning but it stayed too long at the party.
½ April 13, 2014
One of the most amazing, underseen films of its time. The film, with all its unforunate "events" have one central theme it wants to get across. "That hey, life is kinda worth living aint it?" It also contains when of the most moving and power ending scenes in cinema. Well earned. Not so much as in depressing or sad, just that hey, we did it. we got here. and everything isnt all that bad."
March 3, 2014
When a lawyer's (Kevin Kline) car breaks down in a dangerous Los Angeles neighborhood, a tow-truck driver (Danny Glover) arrives just in time to save his life. The two men begin a deep friendship that sets off a chain of unsettling and surprising events involving their families and friends for years to come.

also stars Steve Martin, Mary McDonnell, Mary-Louise Parker, Alfre Woodard, Jeremy Sisto, Tina Lifford and Patrick Malorie.

directed by Lawrence Kasdan.
January 8, 2014
Wonderful life-afirming film that helps one put it all in perspective on many levels. Excellent script and cast.
January 6, 2014
I Love this movie!!! it was released just SIX MONTHS before the LA riots in 1992 too!!
½ November 3, 2013
Kasdan's follow-up to the The Big Chill is thoughtful, emotional and heart-warming. But it's a very Hollywood movie at times. There are a couple moments that are horribly cliched and contrived. It's no where near as subtle as Accidental Tourist. Yet, Kasdan's heart is in the right place. Years later, Short Cuts and Magnolia would perfect this episodic, multi-character, Los Angeles mosaic. In Grand Canyon, Steve Martin's character is the most surprising and interesting. But one does ultimately care a great deal about the others as well. As obvious as it is, it's a good stepping stone to Altman and Anderson's masterpieces.
½ September 7, 2013
Totally underrated. One of my all-time favorites. Every scene beams with a subtle tension that acknowledges our connections and the stress we all face.
May 18, 2013
Extremely forgettable stuff.
May 7, 2013
Fun to watch again. Could really appreciate the driving scene with the son!
January 8, 2013
I loved this movie, great movie I want this movie on DVD, it was better than what I expected. It starred Kevin Kline, Danny Glover and Steve Martin, I thought it was a good film, better than what I expected it to be
½ September 1, 2012
Powerfully acted and featuring fluid dialogue, "Grand Canyon" shows the viewers a strong social commentary that intends to demolish boundaries that exist in our society - but previously set by society itself.
July 22, 2012
It is sad to say, that since his movie came out 21 years ago, things in Los Angeles have not changed for the better. I still love this town, having lived in plenty other cities across the world, LA is still a special place. "Davis: That's part of your problem: you haven't seen enough movies. All of life's riddles are answered in the movies."
July 3, 2012
An excellent film that is very similar to Crash, but came out quite a while before it.
June 16, 2012
Lawrence Kasdan and his usual players. What could go wrong? A lot. This whole movie felt forced and phony, like an early rehearsal.
June 12, 2012
If you're a thinker rather than a casual viewer, this movie can give you something.