Grand Canyon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grand Canyon Reviews

August 9, 2010
An uplifting drama from Larry Kasdan that takes a peek into the modern urban life, about the fear and confined spaces within which everyone's living.
The plot revolves around six characters, each of them having trouble to get on with their daily lives, for several different reasons. As these lives serendipitously criss-cross each other, they're convinced eventually that there's hope at the end of the tunnel.
May 18, 2010
Almost like an unofficial prequel to Crash, but it really doesn't have the unique style or writing. It's pretty obvious that this was made to be an edgy race film and it almost has no purpose aside from that. A lot, if not all, of the characters are one-noted. It's good for a casual viewing in your high school classroom, but it is so unrealistic and negligent that it can't be taken seriously.
October 7, 2007
This ensemble drama follows the lives of a couple of Los Angeles residents in the early 90s and their exceedingly pessimistic view on their lives and the state of the world at that time. Carried by excellent performances (Kevin Kline, Mary McDonnell and Steve Martin in a surprisingly serious, yet not entirely humorless role) the film develops a quite mesmerizing pace, despite of a few slow scenes (especially the dream sequences could have used some editing), also thanks to James Newton Howard's great soundtrack score. The fact that the film doesn't feel the need to end in a pretentiously dramatic and bad way is another big plus. It's keeping its optimistic view throughout the small twists of fate the characters have to go through, stating that it pays off to care about others and trying to help them out. And the final moments of the film are as overwhelming and humbling for the characters as for the audience. A smart, touching and heart-warming experience.
March 31, 2009
Givein this film 2 stars shows just how good of a person I really am, because this film SUCKS. Ahh I feel better now. Look if you caught the meaning of this film, there is help out there for you. The very best part of this film was the preview I saw of it on another DVD, where Danny Glover saves a white mans ass from becoming gutter food for rats in LA. After that it falls even farther into the gutter then the waste itself from the rat. I can only warn my friends to find something else to do for 1 1/2 hrs like swat flies or something as meaningful, cause if meanful is what your after its not to be found in this film. Oh I want to hit 1 star if I spend much more time thinking about this movie, ahhh 1/2 star is now coming to mind, Runnnnnnnn
July 6, 2008
I don't get it....what is this movie about? They are just living there lives...and suddenly in the middle of the story they arrive at the grand canyon and then it's wasn't so bad....but I just don't get it
July 5, 2007
Not as good as it's cousin "The Big Chill" but still all right
½ November 26, 2006
The Lawrence Kasdan's unlifting drama film is quite alright, but "The Big Chill" is the best Kasden movie of the year.
Critique Threatt
½ April 7, 2012
I really enjoyed this picture and a film like this (another being Crash) is what Americans need to see today. It made me learn more about people who are living in a heartless society, coping with near death experiences and split second discisons to act. America will always be plauged with race, class, gender and other issues (Capatalism at it's finest) but films like these is what's needed because it's a wake up call for the better. "Grand Canyon" isn't a film about certain types of class of people is more about breaking down barries and seeing life from a different angle with characters who happen to bump into each other and hopefully audiences will seem to care.

Director Lawrence Kasdan's Grand Canyon is a gathering of random events, uniting the film's wildly divergent protagonists. Driving home from an LA Lakers game, Mack (Kevin Kline), an immigration attorney, is stranded in an unsavory part of town when his car breaks down. He is rescued from a gang of hoods by Simon (Danny Glover), an African-American tow truck driver, inaugurating a friendship between these two men. Mack offers to repay Simon's kindness by helping his sister (Tina Lifford) find an apartment in a better neighborhood, and by arranging a blind date between Simon and Jane (Alfre Woodard), a friend of Mack's secretary Dee (Mary Louise Parker). Woven into this fabric are the tribulations of Mack's best friend, a pompous exploitation movie producer (Steve Martin), who is later wounded in a robbery similar to the one threatening Mack at the beginning of the film; of Mack's wife Claire (Mary McDonnell), who adopts an abandoned baby, and disenfranchised son Roberto (Jeremy Sisto); and of Simon's nephew (Patrick Malone), who is contemplating joining a street gang.
½ May 28, 2008
A little sad and weird but I liked it, especially Mary-Louise Parker.
½ April 13, 2014
One of the most amazing, underseen films of its time. The film, with all its unforunate "events" have one central theme it wants to get across. "That hey, life is kinda worth living aint it?" It also contains when of the most moving and power ending scenes in cinema. Well earned. Not so much as in depressing or sad, just that hey, we did it. we got here. and everything isnt all that bad."
½ March 23, 2009
I was very pleasantly surprised by this film. Wonderful directing, writing, and cast. Very profound. About as deep as...I won't say it.
June 21, 2008
A very well done character driven storyline, superbly acted by everyone in the film. The underratedness of this movie is a crime!
June 10, 2009
Tt represented a lot of crucial issues such as gang violence, youth in distress, the need to adopt children, infadelitity in marriage, movie makers that are too violent, people fighting for the right to make a choice, even if it meant losing their mate who was a cheater at least once, anyway.
September 2, 2008
A film that I like, but I'm not sure why. Lawrence Kasdan has always been more of a writer than a director, but he did make "Body Heat" after all. His script here is full of interesting characters and thoughtful dialogue, but I'm not sure to where it all leads. Maybe that was the point, but if I'm still asking that question after all this theorizing, then either Kasdan didn't do a good enough job as a filmmaker, or I'm just having a dense moment while watching it.
February 18, 2008
a good movie . I liked how different people who really didn't know each other had their lives intertwined with each other in a very good way.
November 20, 2007
2005's Crash was definitely influenced by this early 1990s film about the relationship of several LA citizens and how their interactions affect how they are as people.
½ February 28, 2007
Had to watch this movie 3 times, before I really "got it", then I realized that it is really...DEEP!!! James Newton Howard's musical score frequently BLASTS in my car's CD player. I find it to be very Majestic, Grandiose, & Grand Canyon Itself !
February 24, 2007
A look into everyday lives of people that find a way to go to somewhere peaceful to forget about the pressures of life (for at least a moment). Wonderfully crafted film.
January 15, 2007
I really liked this movie with multi charracter lines. all the characters get developed and are intresting.
January 3, 2007
There is some fragile force that links us together and breaks us apart - and Lawrence Kasdan tells the story well with a superb collection of actors and actresses.